We’re on a mission to make the world's videos watchable in any language
Papercup uses AI to dub videos into other languages using the most human sounding synthetic voices you've ever heard.
Leaders in entertainment, news, and enterprise, such as Jamie Oliver, Business Insider and Bloomberg, use Papercup every day to leap language barriers and engage more deeply with their international audiences. Last year alone over 350 million people watched videos translated by Papercup. But this is just the start - billions of hours of video are stuck in a single language - our technology will fundamentally change that and make videos watchable in any language.
We’re more than just an AI startup - we also care deeply about our people. We want people to feel fulfilled, rewarded and genuinely happy at Papercup. That’s why creating and fostering the right culture matters to us and why we’re committed to building a company that people are proud to work for.
If you want to work on a game changing technology and you care about working with a fun, smart and humble team, we’d love to hear from you.
About the role:
As a member of the machine learning team at Papercup, you will be part of a great team pushing the boundaries of neural text-to-speech and speech-to-speech translation systems. You will be working closely with machine learning engineers, to design and build our internal tooling and MLOps for training, evaluation, data gathering and deployment. You will be part of a newly formed Applied Research team, this team will focus on building out Papercup’s capabilities to many languages and building systems that can scale to meet the customer demand.
You will play a critical role to ensure we can serve our customers with cost-efficient models. At the same time, your work would enable a higher pace of research.
We need your help with
- Analysing and optimizing machine learning codebases to improve training and inference performance
- Managing the production lifecycle of ML models from initial deployment, to testing and updating of the next iteration.
- Building and maintaining common libraries and frameworks, relied upon by the Machine Learning team to train, evaluate and deploy models
- Build up on existing data pipeline (Airflow, Dagster)
- Building out hybrid cloud machine learning workflow
What we are looking for from you:
- Experience working with a machine learning framework (i.e. PyTorch/TensorFlow)
- Previously worked with the software development lifecycle and CI/CD best practices, preferably with Machine Learning models
- Practical experience with pipelines for deep learning models
- Practical experience with different database technologies such as SQL
- A passion for solving for infrastructure requirements from a first principles approach
- A passion for improving developer experience for Machine learning researchers
Nice to Have
- Familiarity with machine learning theory
- Knowledge of Kubernetes and the ecosystem of Cloud Native tools.
- Worked with workflow management tools (e.g. Airflow, Metaflow, Prefect).
- Experience working with Docker for development and deployment.
- Experience with data and experiment tracking in DL projects
How do you know if you’ll love working with us?
- We really care about our people - culture matters deeply to us and we are committed to building a company that people are proud to work for
- We're growing fast. That means you can help grow the business from the ground up and maintain a lot of ownership
Apart from all this good stuff, what else do we offer?
- Competitive salary up to £80,000 - £95,000 dependant on experience
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Flexible working options, 2-3 WFH
- Private medical cover or a monthly wellness bonus
- Options granted to everyone to benefit from the growth and success of the business
- The opportunity to learn - enroll in courses or conferences or take a reading week to improve your skills
- Food and fun: free snacks, Thursday breakfasts, monthly team socials, annual offsites, the best Slack banter you can find
Please note we’re not looking for someone who ticks all the boxes, if you have some of the skills listed above and are willing to learn, you’re the person for Papercup.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Papercup provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Papercup is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Papercup
Gender diversity (male:female)
London - Aldgate
$20m Series A