Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our award-winning, online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal. Founded in 2017, our technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of more than 400 people across our London and Brighton offices.
Motorway is now valued at over $1 billion and is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having raised £143 million in Series C funding.This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth and help change an industry for the better.
About the role
Motorway is seeking a highly skilled and motivated DevSecOps Engineer to join our growing technology team. As a DevSecOps Engineer, you will play a crucial role in integrating security practices into our software development and operations processes. This will ensure that as the business grows, our Software Engineers are provided with the appropriate skills, knowledge and framework, to develop and deploy secure applications.
This role will be the linkage between Platform Engineering, the development teams and the Security Operations Team; this will ensure security strategy is aligned and consistently applied.
The role will involve:
- Collaboration with development and operations teams to ensure security is embedded throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Subject matter expert in application threat modelling (OWASP).
- Responsible for SAST/DAST.
- Document and maintain secure coding standards.
- Conduct secure coding training and awareness programs for the engineering and operations teams.
- Develop and maintain security automation scripts and tools.
- Day to day support for security operations, specifically:
- Embedded in the DevOps CI/CD pipeline (coding - secure and trusted segments)
- Build - App dependencies, images, reference architecture
- Store - Container vulnerabilities, encryption
- Prep - Comply with security policy, mis-configuration management
- Deploy - Vulnerabilities and mis-configurations missed in earlier stages
- Run - Analytics, monitoring, continuous compliance
- Work as part of a virtual SOC with the Security Operations Team to support in security incident response.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest security threats and industry best practices.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of security policies, standards and procedures.
What You'll Get:
- Opportunity to make a huge impact on the companies success
- Support and guidance from talented colleagues
- Exposure to working with a multiple disciplinary tech team
- Fantastic industry based experience to further advance your career
We encourage you to apply, even if you might not meet all the requirements. You’ll be directly reporting to an Engineering Manager, who will help mentor and guide you in your career.
- Proven experience as a Platform Engineer or similar role.
- Proven experience working with Containers and serverless with Infrastructure as code.
- Good knowledge of AWS and GCP cloud security best practices and tooling
- Technical knowledge of best practice security for networks, systems, web applications, APIs and databases.
- Good understanding of secure software development practices.
- Familiarity with security tools and technologies, such as SIEM, IDS/IPS, WAF and vulnerability scanners.
- Knowledge of common adversarial Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (Mitre Att&ck TTPs).
- Knowledge of security standards and frameworks (e.g. ISO27001, NIST CSF) is beneficial.
- Relevant security certifications (e.g. GCLD, Security+, AWS/GCP Security Certifications) are a plus.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong communication and collaboration abilities.
At Motorway, we believe in rewarding you with more than just a pay cheque. That's why we've created a benefits package to help you do your best work and support your development.
From benefits that help look after your health, to a personalised learning budget, cycle-to-work scheme and enhanced parental leave, we’ve got you covered.
- A competitive salary
- Stock options - we succeed and fail together as a team, so we want you to be included in our success
- Annual learning budget - you can choose how you like to learn and find the best learning experiences to support your progression.
- BUPA health insurance
- Discounted dental through BUPA
- Discounted gym membership through BUPA
- On-Hand volunteering membership + 1 volunteering day per year
- Hybrid working from home (approximately 1-2 days in the office a week)
- Pension scheme
- Motorway car leasing scheme - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Cycle to work scheme
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Regular social events
Equal Opportunities Statement:
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.
We asked employees of Motorway how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Motorway
London & Brighton