3–4 days/week at home
Fully flexible hours
We Design. We Guide. We Protect. We Sustain. We Train. We Transform.
BMT is a maritime-orientated high-end design house and technical consulting firm driven by a passion for solving complex, real-world problems. We deliver design, engineering and consulting excellence in a world of ever-increasing change: growing compliance, new global competitors, the pressure to do more with less, ever-faster innovation cycles and less time to exploit market positions or new technologies.
We asked employees of BMT how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at BMT
Gender diversity (male:female)
66% Male, 28% Female
Teddington, Bath, Southampton, Fareham, Bristol, Plymouth, Weymouth, Leeds, Aberdeen, Glasgow
What employees are saying
"The flexibility we have working for BMT allows me to fit work around personal commitments and vice-versa. Everyone accepts this but knows that the work will be done; it is a mutual trust arrangement."
Careers at BMT
- Data Engineer
- Graduate Finance Analyst (12 Month FTC)
- Project Manager
- Talent Acquisition and People Specialist - Americas Region
- Principal Flooding Engineer
- Head of Project Management Office (PMO) - Americas
- Finance Analyst - Fixed Term 6 months
- Consultant Engineer (Coastal Modelling)
- Graduate Engineer / Scientist - Coastal
- Principal Project Professional
- Senior Project Professional
- Project Professional
- Associate Project Professional
- Security Vetting Administrator
- Consolidation Accountant
- Human Factors Specialist
- Electrical Engineer
- Senior ML/AI Research Specialist
- Hull Surveyor
- Technical Assurance & Capability Director
- Senior Draftsperson - (Civil/Structural)
- Coastal / Maritime Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Senior Engineer – Coastal / Structural
- Bid Manager
- Cyber Security Consultant - Technical Specialist
- HR Business Partner
- Reception & Business Support Assistant
- Expression of Interest - Cyber Security Expo - Bristol
- Field Engineer
- Safety Sector Lead – Land Domain
- Technisch Scheepsdeskundige
- Management Consultant (Training Consultancy Services)
- Consultant Flood Engineer
- Senior Business Development Manager – Infrastructure & Environment
- Senior Electrical Engineer
- Materials Engineer
- Environmental Consultant - Aquatic Ecologist
- Senior Botanist
- Reliability Centred Maintenance (RCM) Facilitator
- Sustainability & Environmental Consultant
- Structural Engineer – Commercial Vessels
- Technisch Maritiem Expert
- Senior Marine Systems Technologist
- Legislation and Standards (Safety and Environmental Protection) Consultant
- Intermediate Electrical Engineer
- Senior Environmental Consultants
- Structural Integrity - Facility Engineering
- Senior Engineer, Marine Engineering
- Cyber Security Governance and Risk Management
- Management Consultant - Project Controls (South West)
- Structural Integrity Engineer
- Safety Engineering Consultant
- Senior Electronics Engineering Specialist
- Trials and Validation Consultant
- Through Life Support (TLS) Managing Consultant
- Senior Engineer - Civil / Structural
- Technical Author
- Submarine Engineer
- Senior Engineer - Marine Design
- Electrical Engineer - Various Levels
- Marine Surveyor
- Marine Surveyor
- Senior Systems Engineer - Requirements Management
- Program Services Consultant - Data Management Specialist
- Engineering Consultants
- Reliability and Maintainability Managing Consultant
- Reliability & Maintainability Consultant
- Graduate Coastal Engineer
- Senior Program Services Consultant - S1000D Specialist
- Intermediate or Senior Systems Engineer - Requirements Management
With around 1,300+ professionals located in 27 offices in the Americas, Asia, Australia and Europe, we draw upon a wide range of experience and expertise to provide high-quality, high-value products and services.
From initial concept through to design, construction, operation, and eventual decommissioning, we support customers at every stage of the project lifecycle. Our customers across the world buy outcomes: cost-effective solutions to business problems that require technical excellence, independent thinking, and innovation.
We exist to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time. We create environments where people with outstanding technical knowledge deliver meaningful, practical solutions. We are driven by a commitment to a safer, more efficient, effective and sustainable future.
Flexible working at BMT
As an Employee Benefit Trust it is in our culture to work to a common goal.
We believe that everyone performs at their best when they have the flexibility to arrange their professional and personal commitments in a way that works for them individually and meets the needs of the business. We believe that flexibility is a key enabler in attracting and retaining high calibre people who, as a result, are fully engaged and have positive wellbeing.
We pursue this commitment by:
- Ensuring our commitment to flexibility is clearly communicated throughout recruitment activities
- Providing training and development to Managers of People in how to promote and manage flexibility in their teams
- Providing clear processes and guidelines for employees and Managers of People on how flexibility is to be managed
- Promoting a culture that places a higher value on achievement of business objectives than working standard hours and being physically present in a BMT office
- Monitoring the employment experience on flexibility through our Employee Engagement Survey and ensuring the results feed into future strategy
- Using the technology and tools available (and investing in future technologies) to enable a flexible working culture
- Ensuring adherence to local legal requirements around flexibility
- Encouraging all employees to challenge the status quo on how we approach flexibility at work
- Encouraging employees and Managers of People to have regular conversations about flexibility and work/life balance; this includes reviewing on an on-going basis any existing flexible arrangements in place
Some examples of flexible working are:
- The change of working patterns or hours on a temporary or permanent basis
- The ability to work from locations other than local BMT offices
- The compression of total working hours into less days
- The promotion of ‘core’ hours that enable employees to ring-fence time in or out of the office around their responsibilities
Approach to diversity & inclusion
Our DE&I strategy
We have a strategic commitment to improved diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) in the workplace, it is business imperative for us and we continue to prioritise our work in this area. Our passion and goal are to build more diverse teams and to create an environment where employees are engaged, thriving and feel a sense of belonging.
We know that diversity, equity and inclusion are critical to achieving our purpose as a business which is to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time. We recently took some time to review our DE&I strategy and have a plan in place with lots of progress already underway. We continue to refine our approach by keeping our strategy live and updating it as things change and as we make progress against our actions.
Some examples of initiatives are:
BMT Consulting Women Programme
We are dedicated to improving the development of women in leadership, and the BMT Consulting Women Programme is just one example of that dedication in action. Designed to increase the presence and representation of women in leadership positions within our organisation, it has helped equip those that attend with the skills and competencies they need as they mature their careers and progress to more senior roles. Personal development is central to the programme, with participants being helped to understand and apply their unique strengths to their teams and increase their individual impact.
We know that being able to bring your whole self to work leads to better performance and increases the cultural health of a company – especially for people who identify as LGBTQ+ who can find it exhausting and disempowering to be constricted to social norms. Despite this, inequalities for LGBTQ+ individuals persist in every corner of society. At BMT, we champion better LGBTQ+ inclusion, here are just a few examples of how we do this.
Prism is our network for LGBTQ+ colleagues and their allies. Its purpose is to provide support, connection and challenge for our organisation and our colleagues, to be a critical friend in the awareness and promotion of LGBTQ+ issues, and to encourage us to demonstrate our values through our behaviours.
They continually support us, our colleagues and our leaders with advice and access to resources and feedback on LGBTQ+ affecting issues and to demonstrate that we value the LGBTQ+ community. Thanks to their help, we can connect with colleagues, peer companies and external organisations to provide networking and peer support, and we continually challenge ourselves to positively influence behaviours, policies and processes across the group, and to advocate for LGBT inclusion.
What do we think of BMT?
BMT offer a fantastic working environment within an industry that's traditionally not very flexible! It's very clear employees feel trusted to work in a way that suits them, which is reflected in their high scores across the board!