About the role
BMT Canada is recruiting for a Senior Engineer, specialising in marine engineering, to join our experienced team. In this role you will support the Design and Engineering Services (DES) team to manage their activities and the delivery of projects within the scope of BMT Canada’s market area. This role includes the technical leadership of a team of experienced engineers on a long-term (recuring 6-9 month) deployment at one of our overseas client sites. Specifically, in this role you will:
- Provide engineering design and analysis advice and consultancy by conducting engineering design and support activities.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary project teams in support of client taskings.
- Proactively interact with customers, develop a thorough understanding of their needs, and work to exceed expectations.
- Ensure all work is undertaken in accordance with the project statement of work and is checked in accordance with the relevant project and/or BMT Quality Procedure
- Utilize knowledge of domain specific standards including IMO regulations, Class Society rules, Transport Canada Regulations and Canadian Forces Technical Orders (CFTO’s) to support client requirements.
- Provide Technical Assurance (TA) of design deliverables or provide guidance and advice to others doing these TA activities.
- As the technical lead, deployed at one of our overseas client sites. you will oversee the technical team and all tasks they undertake, analyze briefs, write progress reports, deliver presentations to the relevant stakeholders, identify risks, and develop work schedules. You will be required to work with your team and inspire them to reach their goals.
- Provide Leadership by:
- Contributing to the objectives and direction of the DES Business Area and positively and actively supports the decisions of the management team.
- Freely share information and mutually support other BMT staff to optimize the overall success of BMT Canada.
Contributing to a culture of operational and technical excellence.
- Motivating staff and creating an environment where they can ask questions and voice their concerns.
- Being transparent with the team about challenges, failures, and successes.
We are looking for enthusiastic and flexible team members, who possess the following knowledge, experience, and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering field.
- Minimum 15 years of experience in a marine engineering environment.
- Eligible for a Canadian security clearance
- Experience within complex maritime design programs
- Experience leading teams within a maritime design program
- An understanding of standards for government and commercial vessels
- Experience in systems integration, ship construction and/or repair; including development of engineering change / modification specifications
- Experience in major ship construction programs
- Experience working in the Defence industry, preferable shipbuilding, or ship repair environment
- Proficient user of Microsoft 365 suite of projects (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Task Boards, Teams)
- Ability to manage and lead peers without direct authority
- Ability to influence and earn the respect of clients
We exist to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time. We create environments where people with outstanding technical knowledge deliver meaningful, practical solutions. We are driven by a commitment to a safer, more efficient, effective and sustainable future. To find out more about BMT click here .
BMT is open and committed to discussing flexible working. We believe that everyone performs at their best when they have the flexibility to make working for BMT work best for them.
BMT hires talented people and welcomes applications from everyone. We know that diversity, equity, and inclusion is critical to achieving our purpose as a business which is to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time (to find out more click here ). Our passion and goal are to build more diverse teams and to create an environment where employees are engaged, thriving, and feel a sense of belonging.
At BMT, our employee benefits are designed to ensure you have the resources you need to thrive.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a wide range of benefits in areas including health, family, finance, and personal development.
Don’t hesitate to ask more about our benefits during the hiring process.
Does this sound like you? If so, please submit your application via our company Careers page. We look forward to learning more about you.
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We asked employees of BMT how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at BMT
Gender diversity (male:female)
66% Male, 28% Female
Teddington, Bath, Southampton, Fareham, Bristol, Plymouth, Weymouth, Leeds, Aberdeen, Glasgow