Fully flexible hours
Whereabouts: We are full-remote, global and hours agnostic! Please be aware that many of our team are based in Europe. This means will generally need to have at least 3 hours of work cross-over with CET and GMT. Read more about our approach to Remote working here.
Interviews: Around 4 hours over a few weeks, including some paid practical work
Salary*: Starting* at £85,000 globally and $140,000 for US candidates
Share options: Granted with 4 year vesting.
Reporting to: Leonardo Trotti, Snr Engineering Manager
Ask us anything: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Normal people believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet.” – Scott Adams
🌏 What Whereby is all about
Created with Scandinavian simplicity at heart, Whereby is a remote-first video meetings company with a vision of a world where anywhere works.
We believe in everyone. We see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission. This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
🔍 What we're looking for
We're looking for engineers to help us build, run and scale the infrastructure that supports millions of customers globally. You'll help us drive a DevOps culture across all our product teams, and build the infrastructural foundations necessary to make everyone effortlessly effective at owning and operating their software.
💫 Your mission in your first year at Whereby
As a member of our Engineering Enablement team, you'll focus on one of two closely related goals:
Infrastructure: to further the scalability, resilience, reliability, security and global availability of our product and core platform,
Developer Effectiveness: to enable teams across the company to ship high-quality software multiple times a day, and equip them to own and operate those services effectively.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role*
* Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
Your previous experience
- We are prioritising attitude, aptitude, and the kind of impact you’ve had over years' experience. With that said, you may be a good fit if you...
- Have rich and varied experience as a Platform Engineer / Systems Engineer / DevOps Engineer over a number of years.
- Have experience working with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and their products.
- Have spent lots of time with Linux, and some time with Node.js,
- Have built solutions that enable other engineers to ship and operate software – like CI/CD processes, metrics collection (we use Prometheus & Grafana), log aggregation (we use Kibana & ElasticSearch).
- Know how to quantify, prioritise and improve on the important properties of cloud infrastructure – such as scalability, resilience, fault tolerance, global availability, and security.
- Have led ambitious projects from the idea stage all the way through to the retrospective
- Have expert knowledge of information security principles.
- Communicate proactively and like to work in collaboration with others inside and outside your team.
- Enjoy working in distributed teams.
How we'll measure your success🌟
- We’ll know you’re doing a fantastic job when...
- You're delivering measurable improvements to our infrastructure, and the foundational services our engineers rely upon to ship and support their services
- Your peers, and leaders within platform, are giving positive feedback about your impact on them, the platform, and the product.
- The uptime and reliability of our platform exceeds customer expectations!
Scope of your work
- Ensure secure, scalable and reliable processes for the operations of our infrastructure. We strive for security and privacy by design and want everything we ship to users to be robust, globally.
- Work with the engineering team in understanding challenges related to Developer Effectiveness, bringing ideas for measuring and improving their ability to ship and operate software that meets our standards and principles.
- Collaborate with our product teams to deliver on projects that require new infrastructure or changes to the foundations of our platform.
- Work with your manager and the area tech lead to determine the short and long term goals and priorities for the Platform team
Day-to-day of your role
- Contribute to a diverse engineering culture based on customer-centricity, high-quality code, data-driven decisions, technical innovation, inclusion and diversity.
- Working with Github, Terraform, Amazon AWS infrastructure to further the development of our platform.
- Ensure that our infrastructure meets a high standard of security, maintainability and operability at all times – adapting to the needs of the wider team and the challenges of a growing customer base.
- Define, scope and execute projects to improve our infrastructure, foundational services such as logging and monitoring, and CI/CD practices.
- Improve our on-call and incident handling processes
- Identify opportunities for new technologies, and make suggestions for how they can be used to improve the platform.
- Work as a member of the Platform team, collaborating in planning, stand-ups and retrospectives
- Consult and inform the wider engineering organisation on the work of the Platform team
- Participate in the on-call rota (for the foundational systems your team owns) and support others across the business to do the same
- You’ll work directly with your manager and the Technical Lead (Platform & Media) on your day-to-day priorities. You’ll report to an Engineering Manager who will work with you on your progression – aiming to make sure you’re happy, challenged and doing the best work of your career every day. They’ll also help you find training and development opportunities.
- We offer career progression routes for individual contributors, technical leaders, and managers. In this role, there is a clear opportunity to develop leadership skills within our platform team. That said, you don’t need to become a team lead in order to progress here. It’s all about the impact you’re able to have. And there’s no shortage of opportunity to have an impact at Whereby – on the product, the business, the approach we take to product development and engineering, and on your colleagues.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to email@example.com. You can always read more about Whereby here on our open handbook.
Background checking: We perform background checks on certain roles. For more information about how and why we carry out background checks, this document is a great starting point. For anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or your Talent Partner. Whereby’s background checks will be carried out by Zinc.
Legitimate posting: If you aren’t seeing this role advertised on https://jobs.lever.co/whereby the role is likely closed for new applications. Unfortunately, we are not always in control of where our roles are posted as many websites post our roles without our express consent. For this reason, you may be reading out of date information - we are so sorry about that. Our careers team is always on hand to answer questions, drop us a line at email@example.com