Cyber security consultant - technologies
We exist to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time. We create environments where people with outstanding technical knowledge deliver meaningful, practical solutions. We are driven by a commitment to a safer, more efficient, effective and sustainable future. To find out more about BMT please go to www.bmt.org
Through our projects and operations, we seek to create positive economic, social, and environmental outcomes, inspiring and helping our customers, suppliers, and partners to have a more positive impact in the world. We are committed to demonstrating sustainability practices across our operations, and conduct business in a manner that is responsible, and accountable.
We know that diversity, equity, and inclusion are critical to achieving our purpose as a business. Our goal is to build more diverse teams and to create an environment where employees are engaged, thriving, and feel a sense of belonging.
Why work for us?
At BMT, our employee benefits are designed to ensure you have the resources you need to thrive.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a wide range of benefits in areas including health, family, finance, and personal development. An example of some of the benefits we offer:
- Private Medical (family coverage)
- Enhanced Pension
- Flexible Working
- Wellbeing Fund – a yearly fund for you to spend on a hobby or interest.
- Employee Assistance Programme
- 26 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- Holiday Trading
- Retail Vouchers
- Professional Subscriptions
“We’ve been Flexified, so you can trust that we’re a truly flexible workplace” To find out more about our verified flexible status, visit - Flexa Careers | Flexible Workplaces Offering Freedom & Choice
About the role
You will be a senior or principal security consultant, working alongside our existing team members to provide technical security advice on existing and new systems, and work on externally-funded cutting-edge research tasks.
You will be involved in liaising with customers, scoping new tasks, delivering outputs, and directing and mentoring junior team members.
We offer hybrid working, and full or part time positions. There will be some travel required to customer and BMT sites, mainly in the South of England, and normally maximum of two-days a week.
You will be a senior technologist with a sound understanding of state-of-the-art cyber security (protective and detective) solutions. This will include understanding data, analytics and technologies associated with detecting cyber attacks.
- Can provide security-related design advice to projects
- Can review and assess cyber solution capabilities within an organisation, provide tactical and strategical recommendations, produce option analysis and roadmaps;
- Excellent knowledge of at least two of the following:
- Security Information and Event Management (SIEM)
- Threat Hunting
- User and Entity Behaviour Analytics (UEBA)
- Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning
- Cloud Security best practices applied to a major Cloud Security Provider (for example. Azure, AWS, GCP)
- Security Operation Centres (SOCs) processes and activities
- Have an awareness of the latest developments in the cyber security field and state of the art cyber security solutions
- Have an interest in cyber related Research & Development (R&D)
- Minimum of five years’ experience in the cyber field
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
The following are desirable skills, but a lack of these is not a barrier to getting the role. BMT provides excellent training and support to enable our people to learn and grow.
- Hold at least one UK or internationally recognised cyber security certification (for example ISC2 CISSP, ISACA CISM, Principal or Chartered level of the UK Security Council chartership scheme in Security Architecture)
- Knowledge of both NCSC and internationally recognised cyber standards (for example NIST, CISA, MITRE)
- Experience in developing technical security architectures based on enterprise standards (for example TOGAF, SABSA, etc.)
- Experience in any of the following: Cloud, Operational Technology, Edge computing, Zero Trust Architecture, SASE, XDR / EDR, solutions for disadvantaged locations
- Awareness of Agile methodologies and techniques
- Previous experience in R&D, transformation or SOCs
As much of our work is directly customer focused, your ability to present and articulate technically complex work clearly to stakeholders with differing levels of technical knowledge is important, both verbally and in written work.
Please note that this role will be subject to security checks. You will need to be a UK national (dual nationalities acceptable) and you will need to obtain a UK SC Clearance during your probation period, if not already held.
Does this sound like you? If so, please submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to learning more about you.
A message to recruitment agencies: We receive applications exclusively via our ATS. Please note that we do not accept CVs submitted via email to the HR department or staff within our Operational teams. We will not progress CVs shared on a speculative basis by email and you accept our right to pursue such candidates with no obligation to third-party terms and conditions or liability to a fee
We asked employees of BMT how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at BMT
Gender diversity (male:female)
66% Male, 28% Female
Teddington, Bath, Southampton, Fareham, Bristol, Plymouth, Weymouth, Leeds, Aberdeen, Glasgow