Fully flexible hours
Whereabouts: We are full-remote, global and hours agnostic! Please be aware that many of our team are based in Europe. This means will generally need to have at least 3 hours of work cross-over with CET and GMT. Read more about our approach to Remote working here.
Interviews: Around 4 hours over a few weeks, including some paid practical work
Salary: Starting* at £67,000 globally and $114,000 for US candidates
Note: We have no “caps” on our salary, and you can read our full compensation philosophy here. If our advertised salary doesn’t suit your current expectations, just let us know.
Reporting to: Ilias Galanopoulos, Engineering Manager
Ask us anything: email@example.com
NOTE. Please know that due to the overwhelming response we’ve had to this role, it may take us 2-3 weeks to respond to your application. We’d love to hear from you, and your interest means a lot to us. We appreciate your time and thank you for your patience and understanding.
🌏 What Whereby is all about
Created with Scandinavian simplicity at heart, Whereby is a remote-first video meetings company with a vision of a world where anywhere works.
We believe in everyone. We see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission. This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
🔍 What we're looking for
We're looking for a passionate engineer who has experience of customer-centric, iterative product work in a startup – or any company that values innovation, great user experience and technical quality. Our Web engineers work across the full stack, but have a particular specialism. While there are some prolific generalists who work equally well across every part of the stack, we acknowledge that most people are "T-shaped" or "π shaped": having one or two key strengths and areas of interest. Getting things done at Whereby will require you to work across different parts of the stack at times — but you'll probably contribute most in the areas where you have the most expertise.
If you're coming to this role with purely front-end or back-end experience, but are keen to develop your skillset across the breadth of the stack, that's great too.
💫 Your mission in your first year at Whereby
As a member of one of our multidisciplinary teams, you’ll further develop our product to help Whereby customers gain the freedom to live and work from anywhere. You’ll gain an understanding of their needs and apply your engineering expertise to explore solutions we can ship iteratively and learn from.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role*
* Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
Your previous experience
- Have built browser-based software using web technologies,
- Are self-driven and take responsibility for product outcomes, doing whatever’s necessary to make things happen,
- Enjoy working in distributed teams and working cross-functionally with Product managers, designers, user researchers and other developers,
- Write code to be maintained – with good documentation, tests, and structure,
- Are keen to learn continuously, share your knowledge, communicate effectively and build a product in close collaboration with others.
How we'll measure your success🌟
- You’re delivering work that has measurable business impact and value to customers – early and often,
- You’re a self-sufficient member of our team, driving your own work
- You’re fully engaged in the product development life cycle, helping to shape your team’s roadmap
Scope of your work
- Work within the Customer Experience team to provide a set of high quality tools, APIs and billing services that build confidence and trust with our customers.
- Contribute your expert opinion on the scope and feasibility of the initiatives your team considers.
Day-to-day of your role
- Contribute to a diverse engineering culture based on customer-centricity, high-quality code, data-driven decisions, technical innovation and business impact.
- Develop and test product improvements that solve for customer needs in new and interesting ways.
- Collaborate with other engineers inside and outside of the team, helping them to do their best work and deliver projects according to our values and brand.
- Discuss insights on how customers use our product and make suggestions for how we can constantly improve the user experience and grow the customer base.
- Take part in scoping how new features can be built, and how customer needs can be met, while making pragmatic technical trade-offs.
- Write maintainable and performant code, with tests and documentation in case you get eaten by a yeti.
- Collaborate with your team on getting things done. Share your progress, review each other’s code and help each other out with constructive feedback.
- Safely coordinate regular deployments using our CI/CD infrastructure. Monitor and support your software in production.
- Understand the important technical differentiating factors of our product, and leverage those in our architecture.
- You’ll be working in one of our Product teams, and you’ll work directly with your Product Manager on your day-to-day priorities. You’ll report to an Engineering Manager who will work with you on your progression – aiming to make sure you’re happy, challenged and doing the best work of your career every day. They’ll also help you find training and development opportunities.
- We offer career progression routes for individual contributors, technical leaders, and managers. You don’t need to become a team lead or manager in order to progress here. It’s all about the impact you’re able to have. And there’s no shortage of opportunity to have an impact at Whereby – on the product, the business, the approach we take to product development and engineering, and on your colleagues.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can always read more about Whereby here on our open handbook.
Background checking: We perform background checks on certain roles. For more information about how and why we carry out background checks, this document is a great starting point. For anything further, please email email@example.com or your Talent Partner. Whereby’s background checks will be carried out by Zinc.
Legitimate posting: If you aren’t seeing this role advertised on https://jobs.lever.co/whereby the role is likely closed for new applications. Unfortunately, we are not always in control of where our roles are posted as many websites post our roles without our express consent. For this reason, you may be reading out of date information - we are so sorry about that. Our careers team is always on hand to answer questions, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org