Who are Tyk, and what do we do?
The Tyk API Management platform is helping to drive the connected world and power new products and services. We’re changing the way that organisations connect any number of their systems and services. Whether internal, external, public or highly encrypted systems, Tyk helps businesses drive value across the retail, finance, telecoms, healthcare, or media industries (to name just a few!)
If you’ve banked online, used an app to check the news, or perhaps even driven a connected car, API’s, and by extension, Tyk, make that possible. Founded in 2015 with offices in London - UK, London - Ontario, Atlanta and Singapore, we have many thousands of users of our B2B platform across the globe. Brands using Tyk range from Lotte, Bell, Dominos, Starbucks, to RBS and Societe Generale. We have a varied user base hailing from every continent – even Antarctica.
Tyk is on a mission to connect every system in the world. We’ve started by building an API Management platform.
Total flexibility, default remote, radical responsibility
We offer unlimited paid holidays and remote working from anywhere in the world, for everyone, Why? Tyk was founded on the principle of offering flexibility and autonomy to our employees, we believe this allows our employees to achieve their best results. It also means we can build the best possible team, location and working hours are no barrier.
If this sounds like an environment that you believe could work for you then read on to find out more.
We are currently looking for a Junior Full Stack Developer to join our team here at Tyk. You will be working on our Universal Data Graph product (UDG), providing full stack engineering as we grow the UDG capability into 2023 and beyond .
You will be responsible for implementing end to end functionalities on both the backend UDG application and the presentation layer. You will have an obsession with code quality, performance, architecture and design choices and will have the opportunity to input into the wider team discussion to help us shape the future of our core product going forward. You will be joining an awesome team of Product Managers, UX designers, talented engineers, and QA engineers - and we will develop and mentor you to not only contribute to the technology, but to be passionate about the quality you provide, adherence to process and policy, and a keen appetite for automation.
Here’s what you’ll be getting up to:
- Implementation of end to end to UDG capabilities and both backend and frontend
- Work closely with your technical lead to suggest innovations and new capabilities for your product area, building out POCs
- Be an advocate for engineering quality - adherence to definition of done, improving unit test accuracy, improving test automation, and ensuring the amount of stories coming back from QA are minimised
- Be a process improver - suggesting improvements on how we engineer - policies, process, tooling, standards - and working with your technical lead and our software engineering manager to embed this into our working practices
- Lead and foster a DevOps mindset, always looking for ways to improve our CI/CD pipeline in conjunction with software engineering manager and DevOps resources
- Be comfortable in helping demonstrating our product to internal and external audiences
- Comfortable in a Scrum environment, contributing to refinement, planning and standups
- Input into code quality, performance, architecture and design choices
- Participate in code and design reviews, teach and learn from other engineers
- Collaborate across the company to define, design, build, and improve our product
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Experience building applications in Go
- Developed web services with REST APIs
- Basic knowledge and/or interest in GraphQL
- Familiarity with DevOps concepts and technologies such as CI/CD, configuration management, virtual machines or containers, and cloud hosting services such as AWS, etc.
- Experience with software engineering best practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Hands on development experience scaling complex systems
- Passionate about working on and contributing to Open Source
- Like to ask questions, listen and then deliver
Here’s why you should join us:
- Everyone has unlimited paid holidays.
- We have total flexibility in hours, as we believe creativity flows better when our people are given freedom to decide when they are most productive. Everyone is unique after all.
- Employee share scheme
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- Company retreats
We all share the same vision - we value authenticity, respect, responsibility, independence, honesty, diversity and inclusion and most importantly treating others how you wish to be treated. We look for like-minded people who bring their personalities to work everyday, strive to achieve their personal goals and who are willing to challenge the way we do things, why? - to make what we do even better!
Our values tell the story of Tyk - here’s how:
- It’s ok to screw up!
We’ve found that it’s often the ‘stupid’ or unexpected ideas that turn out to be the successful ones - so try it, at least we can say we have!
- The only stupid idea, is the untested one!
It’s in our DNA - starting a business with founders 12 hours apart, giving our gateway away for free - sure, we did that, and we’d do it again!
- Trust starts with you - make it count!
Trust is a two-way street - instil it from day one!
- Assume best intent!
We have each other’s back - we’re all on the same team. Think before you speak or act.
- Make things better!
Always try to leave things better than when you found them - change is constant, inevitable and embraced! Be that change we want to see.
What’s it like to work here?! check it out: https://tyk.io/worklife/
Tyk is an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
You can see more about us here https://tyk.io
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Tyk provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Tyk is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Tyk
Gender diversity (male:female)
33% female, 67% male
London - UK, Atlanta - Georgia, Singapore, Canada
What employees are saying
"This is the first company where I really got what was promised in terms of flexibility. The leadership team does not care where I work from, so I can hop on a plane and work from a Portuguese beach if I want to. Or from a Swiss Alps resort! I get unlimited days off which allows me to focus on work, but also, focus on my family if I need to, even on short notice. If I need to take a break during the day, I just let my colleagues know and finish my tasks afterwards. It's exactly as it was advertised and it's great."
Anonymous Tyk Employee