Who we are:
At TrueLayer, we’re creating a payments network that better connects banks, businesses and everybody. And we’re going big. We’re taking on cards with a payment method that’s actually designed for the online, on-demand world we live in. Removing friction from the most crucial part of commerce: the payment.
To date, we’ve raised $270 million from world-renowned investors including Stripe, Tiger Global, Addition and Tencent. We’ve got offices in London, Milan and Dublin. And we’re trusted by industry leaders like Revolut, Coinbase and Nutmeg… though we’re not stopping here.
We’re on a mission to change the way the world pays, invests, shops and saves. To transform how people approach payments. To build a brand that redefines an entire industry — and we’d like your help to get us there. So what do you say?
TrueLayer’s Legal team does two things:
We support and enable fast commercial and corporate growth and new product development;
We handle the risks and overcome the issues that are inherent in building a market-leading global fintech at pace.
It is complex and rewarding work as we launch new products, expand into new markets, and onboard and service some of the biggest and most innovative companies in the world.
We’re looking for a Senior Legal Counsel to join our team and be the go-to advisor for the business on legal and regulatory issues relating to TrueLayer’s products. This role will report into the Head of Legal and will be instrumental in shaping the ongoing strategy of the legal team.
You will help the team to evolve as the business scales, harnessing legal technology and developing and maintaining self-service materials and tools for the business. You’ll have an important role in creating a high performance culture where great talent can thrive.
As Senior Counsel:
- You will advise the business holistically on all legal and regulatory issues relating to the design, build, launch and commercialisation of TrueLayer’s products;
- You will draft customer facing terms and conditions to align with new products, services, and to reflect regulatory change;
- You will share our passion for exceptional customer journeys and user experiences, and work with the product team to deliver best-in-class products that challenge the status quo in payments;
- You will continually assess regulatory changes and offer insights that may present opportunities for product development in new industries or new markets;
- You will liaise with external counsel where necessary, and distil and coordinate advice for senior management and non-legal audiences in a concise and coherent manner;
- You will provide business training and thought leadership on key legal topics that relate to your work.
What we need you to be:
- Qualified solicitor in the UK or EU with 5+ years of PQE gained through a leading law firm or in-house fintech role. Experience in-house is helpful but not mandatory.
- Experienced in UK & EU payment regulations, including knowledge of frameworks such as the Payment Services Directive, Electronic Money Directive and Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing regulations.
- Results-oriented: you demonstrate initiative, you understand the bigger picture, you focus on outcomes and get stuff done, you work on what matters and delegate or automate the rest;
- Risk aware: you are highly competent at taking risk-based decisions, you focus on our customers and our reputation not just the rules and regulations, you are comfortable working in grey areas and you have strong ethics to lean on during those times;
- Agile: you don’t stay in your lane, you love working on new things and stepping out of your comfort zone, you can flex your style to suit the situation;
- Team First: you lead by example, you are humble about your role in the business, you take pride from seeing the company move forward quickly and safely;
- Ambitious: you are passionate about working in early-stage/fast-growth teams and maintaining a healthy culture through that growth, you take responsibility for your own professional development and continuous learning;
- Caring: you build trusting relationships with colleagues, you create an environment where people challenge each other safely, you give frequent, timely, specific and actionable feedback;
- Accountable: you are a confident decision-maker, you take responsibility, you establish clear escalation routes within your team, you don’t hide behind legal jargon;
- Trusted: you build trust by demonstrating the highest standards of performance, you show meticulous attention to detail, sound judgement, and strong subject matter expertise in legal and regulatory issues.
What you can expect from us:
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in the company 💰
- Flexible hours and hybrid working — work from home 🏡 and our incredible offices in London 🇬🇧 Milan 🇮🇹 and Dublin 🇮🇪
- A remote-working budget to help set up your home office 💺
- Flexible holiday policy, with 24 days as standard ✈️
- Generous parental leave, above and beyond statutory requirements and with no minimum tenure 👨👩👧
- Enhanced pension contribution at 4% & 4% 🧓🏼 👴🏼
- Private Health Insurance from the day you start 🧑🏼⚕️
- 12 fully-paid Wellbeing Days a year (on top of the holiday allowance) 🕊
- Membership of mental wellbeing platform Spill 🧘🏻♀️
- £1,000 to spend on learning & development each year 📚
At TrueLayer, we don’t just do inclusion and diversity. We embrace people that have different opinions, perspectives and personalities. Because we believe that by seeing the world from all sorts of angles, we can make life better for all the people who live in it. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups (e.g. people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from all socio-economic backgrounds). If you’d like to discuss alternative working patterns, please let us know.
We will always aim to make appropriate adjustments to ensure we are fully inclusive to people with different needs during our interview process. So if you need us to make any adjustments to suit your individual needs please let us know - we’ll be happy to support you.
We asked employees of TrueLayer how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at TrueLayer
Gender diversity (male:female)
UK, Italy, Ireland