Who we are:
At TrueLayer, we’re building a global open banking platform that’s changing how money moves and so much more. We make payments and refunds instant, account data accessible and verification seamless — all so innovators in every industry can build better financial experiences for their users.
To date, we’ve raised $270 million from world-renowned investors including Stripe, Tiger Global, Addition and Tencent. We’ve got offices in London, Milan and Dublin. And we’re trusted by industry leaders like Revolut, Coinbase and Nutmeg… though we’re not stopping here.
Our vision is a financial system that works for everyone. To make that happen, we’re creating original and innovative products that will remove the friction from finance for good. We’re seriously scaling our infrastructure, we’re entering new areas all the time, we’re cornering a whole new category — and we’d like your support to get us there.
At TrueLayer, we want the financial system to work for everyone — so we've made it our mission to open up access and put fintech at people's fingertips. We’re looking for Data Engineers who love learning new things and working with others to solve complex problems. Guided by our Engineering Principles, you’ll collaborate on the design, implementation, delivery and operation of our data analytics platform and infrastructure — in short: you’ll build it, you’ll run it! In addition to working with modern development frameworks and cloud technologies, we are committed to helping you develop new skills and advance in your career. Whether you want to continue to grow your technical expertise or move into leadership, we have clear and tangible paths for everyone, irrespective of your level of experience, role or discipline. Our challenges:
- We want to create scalable and reliable pipelines from a variety of sources to deliver accurate and timely data to the business. We are doubling down on real-time analytics.
- We want to optimise and automate existing processes by designing a modern data infrastructure. Competence, curiosity and flexibility are the key to get us there.
- We want to define data contracts which will ensure our data is sourced and processed to the highest standards of quality and robustness, while also allowing for schema evolution.
- We want TrueLayer to be an exceptional place to work. We want our processes and interactions to stay honest, genuine and human as the company grows.
- We want our engineers to grow with us. To have the opportunity, the guidance and the support to develop their technical and core skills to the fullest within the organisation.
Our technology stack
- Our go-to language for data work is Python - though in the wider organisation you can expect to see C# and Rust code
- Most of our data pipelines currently use Python, Spark and Athena, orchestrated with Airflow and deployed via Terraform
- Docker containers orchestrated by Kubernetes, hosted in AWS
- Monitoring using a combination of the ELK stack, Jaeger, and Prometheus/Grafana
What we expect from you, as a Data Engineer:
- Help develop the vision for and architect our data infrastructure
- Design, build and launch new data pipelines in production, that can be used for analysis across all areas of the business including Product, Growth and Engineering
- Maintain and enhance our core data infrastructure and ETL framework
- Help make our data platform globally scalable, reliable and available
- Ship rapidly and regularly to production - we don’t wait around - when it’s ready, we ship it
- Optimise our engineering processes and ultimately, our products
- Contribute to our culture, and help make sure TrueLayer remains an exceptional place to work.
What you can expect from us:
- A collaborative, transparent environment in which you can be your true self, learn and grow
- Attend conferences and training courses using our learning & development allowance (£1000/yr)
- Flexible hours
- Both remote and office working, with 20% of your time spent in our London office Note: we're 100% remote during the pandemic
- Choice of Linux or Mac technology
- A one-off contribution of £175 to help you set up your home office
- Flexible holiday policy — minimum 24 days. If you need more, just ask
- 12 fully-paid wellbeing days a year (on top of your holiday allowance)
- Generous parental leave above and beyond statutory requirements, for either parent
- Employer pension contributions of 4%
- Private health insurance and dental cover with Bupa
- Membership of mental wellbeing platform Spill
Compensation London: Senior Data Engineer I - £87,500-£100,500/year + Equity Milan: Senior Data Engineer I - €57,750 - €73,500 /year + Equity Your profile needs to demonstrate:
- Data engineering experience, particularly in architecting and building end-to-end data solutions and pipelines using both batch and real-time
- Good understanding of data modelling, data contracts, data access, data storage techniques, distributed systems and streaming data architectures
- Commitment to good engineering practices: clear documentation, thorough testing and helpful automation
- Knowledge and proficiency in at least one major programming language and SQL
- Experience with job/pipeline orchestration or automation tool such as Airflow, Luigi etc
- Effective communication skills- you can present insights to audiences across the business and you love proposing actionable solutions
- A methodical, analytical and organised approach to tackling large scale projects and data sets
- A desire to work in an engineering team that collaborates, shares knowledge and empowers each other to succeed.
And we’d be really excited if you can show:
- Previous experience at a startup or high-growth company
- Experience in Big Data frameworks like Spark or Hadoop
- Experience with Python and data manipulation libraries like Pandas
- Experience with AWS services such as S3, Athena, EMR and EC2
- Experience with infrastructure as code solutions like Terraform
- Experience with data catalogues, lineage and observability tools
- Exposure to Kubernetes or other container orchestration tool
Inclusion & Diversity At TrueLayer, we embrace people that have different perspectives and personalities. We believe that by seeing the world from all sorts of angles, we can make life better for all the people who live in it. So we want you to know that the things that make you, you — like your age, background and identity — are things that we celebrate and support. All we ask is that you believe in what you do. About our hiring process Our hiring process typically consists of four stages:
At TrueLayer, we don’t just do inclusion and diversity. We embrace people that have different opinions, perspectives and personalities. Because we believe that by seeing the world from all sorts of angles, we can make life better for all the people who live in it. So we want you to know that the things that make you, you — like your age, ability, background and identity — are things that we celebrate and support. All we ask is that you believe in what you do (and know what an API is).
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options TrueLayer provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure TrueLayer is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at TrueLayer
Gender diversity (male:female)
UK, Italy, Ireland
What employees are saying
"I love that there is a high level of trust of employees. This fosters a highly productive environment where people really give their all."
Anonymous TrueLayer Employee