Remote-first - We meet both in / out of the London office occasionally
Fully flexible hours
Who we are:
At TrueLayer, we’re building a global open banking platform that’s changing how money moves and so much more. We make payments and refunds instant, account data accessible and verification seamless — all so innovators in every industry can build better financial experiences for their users.
To date, we’ve raised $270 million from world-renowned investors including Stripe, Tiger Global, Addition and Tencent. We’ve got offices in London, Milan, Dublin and Sydney. And we’re trusted by established names like Revolut, Cazoo and Trading 212… though we’re not stopping here.
Our vision is a financial system that works for everyone. To make that happen, we’re creating original and innovative products that will remove the friction from finance for good. We’re seriously scaling our infrastructure, we’re entering new regions all the time, we’re cornering a whole new category — and we’d like your support to get us there.
At TrueLayer, we want the financial system to work for everyone — so we've made it our mission to open up access and put fintech at people's fingertips.
We’re looking for Engineering Managers who love learning new things and working with others to solve complex customer problems. You’ll be at the heart of financial innovation, using industry-disrupting technologies like open banking to revolutionise online payments, and enable financial data to be integrated into any app or website.
Working at a rapidly growing fintech, you’ll encounter new and exciting challenges as we scale our products and infrastructure to meet the demands of our customers, and expand our ecosystem to open up new possibilities. Guided by our Engineering Principles, you’ll collaborate on the design, implementation, delivery and operation of our products — in short: you’ll build it, you’ll run it!
In addition to working with modern development frameworks and cloud technologies, we are committed to helping you develop new skills and advance in your career. As an Engineering Manager we’ll help you to continue to grow. Our engineering growth framework sets out a clear path to help you progress in your career whatever direction you choose.
- We want to continuously iterate and improve our offering without compromising the stability or long-term maintainability of our systems.
- We serve millions of API requests with a 99.5% availability SLA. Our platform must remain a reliable foundation that our customers can build upon as we expand (new products, new geographies, more volume).
- We want TrueLayer to be an exceptional place to work. We want our processes and interactions to stay honest, genuine and human as the company grows.
- We want our engineers to grow with us. To have the opportunity, the guidance and the support to develop their technical and core skills to the fullest within the organisation.
What we expect from you, as an Engineering Manager:
- Become a proficient user of our platforms (AWS, Kubernetes, Prometheus/Grafana, etc) and our tools. Training will be available to fill in any gaps in your current knowledge
- Work with your Product Manager to define and track SLIs/SLAs for the things you build
- Own the hiring needs for your team, and work with Talent and Engineering colleagues to continually improve our hiring processes
- Line manage the engineers in your team, coaching and mentoring them to help them achieve their career goals
- Partner closely with your Product Manager to prioritise both product and engineering initiatives for the team into a single roadmap
- Work with other Engineering Managers to deliver cross organisation engineering initiatives
- Own the delivery for your team, identifying potential blockers early and working to reduce their impact
- Scope out and define new features, breaking delivery down into incremental pieces
- Communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Employ design patterns, testing and automation to ensure fast and safe iteration cycles. Use your knowledge to coach your teammates and level up the whole engineering organisation
- Support your team in resolving incidents and help us to continuously improve our approach to incident management
- Be a role model of our values, and help to ensure TrueLayer remains an exceptional place to work
Benefits and Compensation
What you can expect from us:
- A collaborative, transparent environment in which you can be your true self, learn and grow 🌳
- Attend conferences and training courses using our learning & development allowance (€1200/yr) 📚
- Flexible hours ⌛
- Both remote and office working, with 20% of your time spent in our Milan office 🏡 Note: we're 100% remote during the pandemic
- A one-off contribution of €200 to help you set up your home office 💺
- Flexible holiday policy — minimum 24 days. If you need more, just ask ✈️
- 12 fully-paid wellbeing days a year (on top of your holiday allowance) 🕊️
- Generous parental leave above and beyond statutory requirements, for either parent 👩👩👦
- €600 per quarter (outside of required business travel) to visit our HQ London office
- Membership of mental wellbeing platform Spill 🧘🏽♀️
- Meal vouchers for every day you’re working, including while remote
- CCNL Commercio terziario e distribuzione servizi
- Experience building distributed systems in any common backend language/framework such as .NET, Java, Rust and Go
- Thorough understanding of common design patterns and principles, and how/when to apply them
- Familiarity with API design and experience with at least one web framework
- Knowledge of both SQL and NoSQL data technologies
- Understanding of microservice architecture and its associated challenges
- Familiarity with testing best practices — TDD, unit testing and integration testing, etc
- Experience with observability and alerting in mission-critical distributed systems
We’d be particularly excited if you have:
- Previous experience managing engineers
- Understanding of protocol buffers, gRPC, and message queue systems
- Experience building libraries and involvement in open source software
- Hands-on experience with AWS and infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform
About our hiring process
Our hiring process typically consists of four stages:
Full details on the interview process, including preparation tips and the qualities we look for in future TrueLayeristas, can be found on our blog.
At TrueLayer, we don’t just do inclusion and diversity. We embrace people that have different opinions, perspectives and personalities. Because we believe that by seeing the world from all sorts of angles, we can make life better for all the people who live in it. So we want you to know that the things that make you, you — like your age, ability, background and identity — are things that we celebrate and support. All we ask is that you believe in what you do (And know what an API is).