This is an exciting opportunity to join RSPB Shetland to continue working on our ambitious peatland restoration work. RSPB manage considerable areas of peatland, across the island of Yell, and we plan to restore all of this land holding for the benefit of people and wildlife.
Vast swathes of important peatland habitats cover the uplands of Shetland. Supporting many special species of upland wading birds, such as Golden Plover, Whimbrel and Curlew these important areas need to be protected and improved. These peatland areas also hold a huge amount of carbon and preventing this from releasing into the atmosphere is a key climate change prevention action.
The role will lead on delivering a basic community/ stakeholders consultation to ensure all are engaged and their views are incorporated into project plans. This will be delivered largely through the production of a management plan summary.
This role will be responsible for leading on the application process for peatland restoration funding streams- integral for delivering the restoration plans.
Whilst managing a Field Officer, the role will work to coordinate survey information to ensure criteria of funding schemes, Peatland Code and Peatland Action, are met and that all practical work is done to the required specification.
This role will help to successfully raise income from the carbon market to maintain restored peatlands and help address the issues facing the climate and biodiversity. In short, translating innovative green finance mechanisms into reality.
This post will be based at the RSPB Shetland, Sumburgh Head office. There will be the option to work blended as part of this role, a mixture of working from the office, working in the field and working from home. Field work may be required in sometimes challenging conditions.
What does this role look like?
• Developing detailed funding applications including costing up projects
• Managing the tender process to appoint skilled contractors for the delivery of the restoration work
• Utilising existing completed ground assessments to form restoration plans
• Occasional recording of peat depth data and mapping in the field
• Compile site-based restoration plans
• Project design (inc. GIS and drone work)
• Emissions and additionality calculators
• Risk Assessment Matrix
• Stakeholder analysis and consultation
• Delivering a basic community consultation through management plan summary
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
• Knowledge of the theory and practice of project management
• Knowledge of working in designated and sensitive habitats
• Demonstrable leadership ability, able to lead without line management authority
• Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to find creative solutions
• Able to work under pressure and adapt to changing circumstances
• The ability to clearly communicate verbally to groups in a passionate and credible manner
• Proven time management and organisational skills
• Ability to work alongside multiple teams and stakeholders
• Competent IT user, including the use of Microsoft Office and GIS software
• Experience of producing clear reports, newsletters and similar communications
Desirable skills, knowledge, and experience:
• Knowledge of peatland wildlife ecology and habitat requirements
• Experience of line managing staff
• Organising training events, workshops or facilitated discussions and meetings
• Experience of working with contractors
• Cost and budget management experience
• Experience of delivering projects
This is a Fixed-Term, Full-Time contract for 3 years. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 6th February 2023. For further information please contact email@example.com
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
The RSPB is a licenced sponsor. This role is eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship. Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Project Manager - LIFE 100% Favourable (Fixed-Term)
- Bird Surveyor at Powharnal
- Estate Worker
- Rural Surveyor. Flexible Central and Eastern England
- Carbon Farming Project Manager - (Fixed-Term)
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Part Time - Centre Assistant - Fixed Term
- Legacy Team Executive - RSPB UKHQ - The Lodge
- New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Part-Time - Cleaner
- Part-Time Retail Assistant
- Visitor Experience Manager
- Volunteer Engagement Manager
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Assistant Warden (Seasonal) Anglesey Terns SPA (4 posts)
- Senior Conservation Officer
- Head of Sustainable Land Use Policy - England
- Fundraising Manager - Scotland
- Part Time - Catering Assistant - (Fixed Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistant x 2 (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Curlew Monitoring Officer - (Fixed term)
- Head of Marine Policy
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Curlew Life Research Assistant (Technical) - RSPB Northern Ireland
- New to Nature Placement - Community and Visitor Engagement Assistant - Apply via Survey Monkey Link
- New to Nature Placement - Access to Nature Project Assistant. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Head of Policy & Advocacy - England
- Part-Time Cleaner x 2
- Project Manager - (Frampton Marsh)
- Nature Protection Policy Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Learning Assistant - (Fixed term)
- Curlew LIFE Research Assistant (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bedford Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Luton Area
- Centre Assistant - variable hours - (Fixed Term)
- 2 x Senior Administrator - (Fixed Term)
- Employee Relations Adviser - x3 (Part-Time & Full-Time roles available)
- Research Assistants x2 - Twite Recovery Project
- PT or FT - Senior Project Manager – Nature Positive Biodiversity Gain in Scotland (Fixed Term)
- Assistant Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Telford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Chester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Driffield - Flexible within East Yorks.
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser x2 - RSPB Loch Garten Nature Reserve (Seasonal Contract)
- Curlew Monitoring Officer x 2 – Upper Lough Erne
- Part-Time Car Park Attendant x4 (Fixed-Term)
- Area Manager (East Midlands)
- Education, Families & Youth Officer - Scotland based - Hybrid (Part-Time)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tonbridge Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North London
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Isle of Wight
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Cheltenham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Falmouth
- Rheolwr Cyfathrebu / Communications Manager
- Test Team Lead
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Flexible in UK
- Beach Nesting Bird Project Officer - (fixed term)
- Learning and Visitor Assistant x2 (Part time & Fixed term - March to October)
- Senior Policy Officer - Bioenergy and BECCS - Fixed Term
- Part-Time Cleaner
- Glenwherry Curlew Initiative Monitoring Officer (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Moorland Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Dundee Project Manager - (Fixed Term - Possible Secondment Opportunity)
- Assistant Warden - Cumbria Coast Reserves
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Project Officer - Stone-Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Government Affairs Manager
- Health, Safety & Environment Advisor - Central England
- Part-Time Learning Assistant (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Finance Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project (Fixed-Term)
- Catering Assistant - Loch Leven - Variable Hours Available
- Learning and Visitor Assistant - RSPB Saltholme (Part-Time)
- Senior Beach Warden (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Site Maintenance Assistant
- Senior Systems Engineer