We are looking for an enthusiastic, practical person with a strong background in conservation projects to help deliver our ambitious beach nesting bird recovery work in the outer part of the Humber estuary, across East Yorkshire, and the Lincolnshire coast. This is a new post which will help trial and develop plans to protect and recover the populations of the Humber’s three key beach nesting bird species little tern, ringed plover, and oystercatcher.
Beach nesting birds around the UK are facing multiple pressures, including habitat loss, human disturbance, and predation. Around the Humber these species were once more widely distributed in the outer part of the estuary but are now restricted to a very small number of sites. Working with partner organisations this project will start to move the species along the recovery curve by building understanding of existing pressures on suitable habitat and nesting birds, trial protection of new suitable sites, and develop plans for longer term enhancement and protection for key suitable areas of habitat for these species.
Key activities will include:
- Monitoring of the breeding attempts, disturbance and recreational pressures at key sites across the Humber sites.
- Support partner organisations with existing beach nesting birds' protection schemes.
- Recruit and manage volunteers to help with this work.
- Working with partner organisations develop recovery plans for the Humber’s beach nesting birds.
- Build public support and awareness for issues facing the beach nesting birds
- A strong background in delivering species or habitat conservation projects
- Experience of working in partnership to achieve shared outcomes
- Experience of recruiting and managing volunteers
- Good working knowledge of UK little tern and other shorebird conservation
- A good understanding of the ecology and management of coastal sites
- Good written and verbal communication skills and competent use of Microsoft Office
- Strong time management and organisational skills
- Awareness of the importance of Health & Safety in an outdoor environment
- Able to travel to project locations on regular basis, including during anti-social hours
- Bird monitoring experience, preferably of seabirds.
- Good public engagement skills including social media and interpretation
- Practical conservation skills including experience of installing and/or maintaining electric fencing.
- Experience of report writing.
- Knowledge of the work of the RSPB.
This is a 12 month Fixed-Term Full-Time role for 37.5 hours per week.
The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position on 10th January 2023. For further information please contact email@example.com.
As part of this application process, you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to making our organisation diverse and inclusive, and as such are keen to encourage applications from people from black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds, as well as those with disabilities.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Seasonal Field Officer - Plovers in Peril (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Experience Officer (x 4) RSPB Rathlin Island - Northern Ireland
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Assistant Warden x2 (Fixed-Term)
- Assistant Warden x2 - Eastern Solent Reserves
- Communications Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office
- 2 x Part-Time Cleaners - (14.5 hours M to F and 5 hours at weekends)
- Conservation Data Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Systems Engineer
- Seabird & Marine Policy Officer (Senior)
- 5 x Centre Assistants - Bempton Cliffs (6 months Fixed-Term, Variable Hours Avail)
- Project Officer - Species on the Edge - Orkney (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Operations Manager - Devon, Exe Estuary (30 hours p/w)
- Head of Communications & Marketing (Wales - RSPB Cymru - HQ )
- Assistant Warden - North West Norfolk Reserves (Fixed-Term)
- Curlew LIFE Project Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Turtle Dove Conservation Advisor (South-East England)
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager ( x2 roles )
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Assistant Warden Ramsey Island - Wales
- Head of Fundraising Campaign Planning (Flexible in UK - Hybrid-WFH)
- Board Administration Coordinator - Flexible in England (WFH Option)
- Direct Marketing Manager - (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Programme Manager - Membership Recruitment and Retention (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Membership Marketing and Retention Manager (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Assistant Warden (Fixed-Term) - Northward Hill
- Project Coordinator - Eurasian Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Food and Beverage Supervisor
- Administrator - RSPB Geltsdale Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Junior Interaction Developer
- Junior Developer - Flexible in UK
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Endangered Landscapes Programme Manager - Cumbria (Fixed-Term)
- Senior PWA Developer
- Community Connections and Volunteer Manager - Lough Erne Landscape Partnership (HYBRID-WFH)
- Warden, Sunart Reserves Glenborrodale
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)