Can you bring your organisational skills to manage our nature reserve office and provide support to the reserve team, helping us to save nature? Can you champion and adapt to new ways of working on a large upland nature reserve? If so, RSPB needs you!
About the Role
You will run the administration of the RSPB Geltsdale nature reserve office, providing a safe and effective working environment, based in the reserve office and visitor centre at Stagsike Cottages.
Line managed by the Site Manager, work will involve: organising the maintenance schedule of the premises, managing the residential volunteer accommodation, organising the recording of health and safety information, overseeing the visitor centre, organising occasional educational visits with the assistance of volunteers and managing a small art gallery. You will use our finance system to provide support for the team and be central to ensuring good communications and smooth running of the reserve.
As a contact for the general public, you will be an advocate for RSPB. You will be confident dealing with people from all backgrounds, using diplomacy and tact to ensure complex and sensitive matters are handled appropriately and professionally, and RSPB is represented in a positive manner.
The RSPB Office at Stagsike Cottages is accessed down a one mile track. The team comprises five permanent staff – a site manager, three wardens, and an estate worker.
What we need from you
Essential experience, knowledge and skills:
- Experience of providing administrative capability within a team.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office and team collaboration tools such as SharePoint.
- Excellent communication skills with a wide range of audiences by phone, video call, email or in person.
- Can prioritise tasks proactively, during periods of both low and high demand.
- Can independently identify and solve problems.
- Can build, maintain and develop productive relationships with people at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Experience of managing and reporting financial information.
Desirable experience, knowledge and skills:
- Experience of health and safety compliance.
- Basic knowledge of current conservation issues, priorities and an interest in wildlife.
This is a part-time role working 20 hours per week.
For all application/role enquiries please contact - firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that you will be required to only complete an application form where you will have the opportunity to tell us how you meet the criteria set above.
This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship – the successful applicant will need to have a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK in order to be offered an employment contract.
Before applying for this role we would encourage you to read through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of our advert.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Project Officer - Species on the Edge - Orkney (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Operations Manager - Exe Estuary
- Conservation Officer - The Wash & North Norfolk Coast (Fixed-Term)
- Head of Communications & Marketing (Wales - RSPB Cymru - HQ )
- Assistant Warden - North West Norfolk Reserves (Fixed-Term)
- Curlew LIFE Project Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Turtle Dove Conservation Advisor (South-East England)
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager ( x2 roles )
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Humber Beach Nesting Birds Project Officer - Fixed Term
- Assistant Warden Ramsey Island - Wales
- Head of Fundraising Campaign Planning (Flexible in UK - Hybrid-WFH)
- Board Administration Coordinator - Flexible in England (WFH Option)
- Direct Marketing Manager - (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Programme Manager - Membership Recruitment and Retention (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Membership Marketing and Retention Manager (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Assistant Warden (Fixed-Term) - Northward Hill
- Fundraising Manager - Maternity Leave Contract
- Project Coordinator - Eurasian Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Food and Beverage Supervisor
- Junior Interaction Developer
- Junior Developer - Flexible in UK
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Site Maintenance Engineer
- Endangered Landscapes Programme Manager - Cumbria (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Conservation Officer - South Highland (Cairngorms)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Brentwood Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bury St Edmunds
- Assistant Finance Business Partner - Fixed Term - wfh
- Senior PWA Developer
- Senior Programme Manager - Flexible in England (Hybrid - WFH)
- Visitor Experience Officer
- Community Connections and Volunteer Manager - Lough Erne Landscape Partnership (HYBRID-WFH)
- Membership Venues Officer - RSPB Northern Ireland (Part-Time)
- Warden, Sunart Reserves Glenborrodale
- Part-Time Administrator
- Hydes Heath Project Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Maidstone Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Reading
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Southampton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Swansea
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Oxford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Derby
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Nottingham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Liverpool
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Skipton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - York
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Central Cumbria
- Senior Race Equity Specialist (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Site Manager - Forsinard Flows Reserve
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Casework Officer (12-month Fixed term) - WFH/Hybrid
- Visitor Experience and Interpretation Manager (Fixed-Term) (Hybrid-WFH)
- Visitor Experience and Marketing Manager RSPB England - Flexible in England (Hybrid-WFH)
- Swyddog Natur - Ynys-hir (Gweithio o adre/hybrid) - Nature Officer - Ynys-hir (Home-Based/Hybrid)
- Site Manager – West NI Reserves