At Prisma, we are building the data layer for modern applications. If you are fascinated by the leading-edge architecture and technology used in today’s data-intensive, highly scalable software systems, with distributed graph data on a massive scale, but you want the energy, challenges, and freedom that come with working in a small startup, then a job at Prisma might be for you.
With funding from top-tier investors Amplify Partners and Kleiner Perkins, we are a small distributed team working on making the advanced data infrastructure developed at large tech companies accessible to all application developers around the world. Our hard work is paying off, with adoption and implementation of Prisma by some of the most successful and interesting companies out there today, and the fun is just beginning!
We are focused on bottom-up adoption, and most of our software is open-source. We have a vibrant community on Slack and Github - with over 40,000 members on Slack - where we regularly engage with the Prisma community.
What would you do at Prisma?
You will be a member of the team responsible for the control plane of the Prisma Data Platform (https://cloud.prisma.io). This is the management layer that handles project creation and configuration, project data visualization, collaborative workflows, user accounts, and billing and payment.
Below are some of the things you could expect to do as part of the Prisma team:
- Build services, APIs, and integrations to power the Prisma Data Platform ensuring high quality with your attention to reliability, performance, and maintainability.
- Collaborate with other engineers on the system’s architecture and implementation.
- Maintain and improve CI, infrastructure automation, background jobs, and testing.
- Create well-tested, type safe code that is easy to understand and contribute to.
What technologies will you work with?
At Prisma, our primary programming languages are TypeScript and Rust. This role is focused on TypeScript where you will encounter the following:
- Prisma, PostgreSQL
- GraphQL, Nexus, Relay
- AWS, Terraform, Serverless, Vercel
- GitHub Actions
- Open Telemetry, Honeycomb
We believe the right candidate for this position will meet quite a few of the criteria below. If you don't fit the description perfectly, we'd still love to hear from you. We expect you to learn some of these on the job:
- 4+ Years experience as a Software Engineer with a focus on back end development, integration of 3rd party services, and API design.
- Fluent in TypeScript or experience with types in another language.
- Experience with microservices or service oriented architectures.
- Comfortable orchestrating, integrating, and automating to achieve reliable, performant, and observable distributed systems.
- Passion, curiosity, and knowledge of system design, security, and automation.
- You have a product mindset or have built SaaS products in the past.
- You can communicate fluently in English and can express your thoughts clearly in writing.
- You enjoy working closely with your peers and proactively seek to help others.
- You seek feedback early and often and are not afraid to ask for help.
What's it like to work at Prisma?
You're likely to be a great fit for the team if you ...
- ... have an ownership mindset. As part of a young startup, you'll have an outsize impact on decisions and the way things are executed.
- ... stay nimble. As a growing startup, the team and strategy evolves quickly. Be ready to re-calibrate often and stay flexible.
- ... be kind and collaborative. Come in ready to share your ideas and listen to feedback.
What's in it for you?
- Opportunity for large global impact working on one of the fastest growing open-source tools. You will form part of the very beginnings of our journey into a commercial offering.
- We provide a Competitive Base Salary in line with industry standards for similar positions.
- As an early-stage startup we also provide competitive Stock-Option Grants.
- 24 Days paid vacation per year.
- 4 Days paid Mental Health Days per year.
- 6 Weeks fully paid Sabbatical Leave after 3 years.
- 20 Weeks fully paid Parental Leave.
- [US] Health, Dental, Vision + 401k Matching
- Generous Tech Budget to make sure you have all the hardware that you need.
- Ergonomic Chair subsidy
- Access to your local co-working space if you prefer to work from an external location to your home.
We are a remote-first organisation with an office based in Berlin, Germany. Whether you would like to work remotely, or from the office in Berlin is up to you! We are open to discussing relocation assistance if you would like to join us in Berlin.
To ensure effective collaboration we can currently only accept candidates within the timezone GMT -5 to GMT +3.
Note on COVID-19: The above opportunity to move to Berlin is temporarily suspended until we believe that travel is safe again.
What is the process like?
Our recruitment process roughly follows the structure below:
- Introductory call with the Talent Acquisition Team
- Interview with an Engineering Manager
- Interview with members of the team that you will be joining
- Take Home Test including a debrief session.
What do I do now?
If this sounds like an interesting opportunity, please apply via our website, and include your LinkedIn profile (or Resume), writing samples, or anything else that you think might give us a good sense of who you are.
We will generally be in touch within 7 business days to let you know the outcome of your application.
Prisma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Prisma provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Prisma is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Prisma
What employees are saying
"This is the first company where I can have a proper work-life balance. Managers are very understanding to any life circumstance and they lead by example, being very open to their own mental and physical health needs. I also feel very supported when I want to overachieve on a project or work longer hours because I'm very invested or interested in an outcome. They give me the freedom to shine, while also fully supporting (and continuously checking on) my mental and physical health."
Anonymous Prisma Employee