1–2 days per week at home
A little flex time
We are looking for a Senior TypeScript/React Engineer to join our team.
🏡 Location - Remote (UK based only) with 5 days per quarter in the office, our 'HQ' is in London E1, travel will be paid.
💻 The Engineering Team
We're a PropTech scale-up who have created a revolutionary, cloud-based software platform to bring together agents, landlords and tenants online and process all the paperwork electronically.
Our small, self-organising squads build the platforms and tools to help us achieve our mission. We're disrupting an industry, so there's plenty of thorny, real-world problems to solve on behalf of the agents, landlords and tenants that use our system.
If you want to develop new skills, there'll be plenty of opportunities: many of our current team joined as back-end or front-end developers, and are now working across the full stack.
We are keen advocates of agile delivery; we work closely with our stakeholders and use Kanban to iterate quickly on customer feedback. You'll be learning every day, from the team around you and senior members of the team who you'll have daily exposure to.
Visit our careers in tech page to find out more about the team and the way we work!
The Tech we use
The application is built in the backend mainly in PHP (7.4/8) with a number of internal services, some being in Scala, and third party services. The frontend is evolving into React + Typescript from an old jQuery UI which is currently disappearing. All of this is deployed in Docker containers running in a Kubernetes cluster in AWS.
The engineering team consists of a group of squads working independently in different parts of the application but still supporting each other as a single team. Each squad comprises a product manager, designer and a mix of frontend and backend engineers.
We are keen advocates of agile delivery, continuous integration and automated testing. We have a CI pipeline using Circle CI and Github Actions where we run automated tests and static analyses to ensure only good quality code makes it into production.
What we need from you:
At Goodlord we want everyone to bring their whole selves to work so we offer quite a lot of flexibility in order for you to find a good work-life balance.
No two days in Goodlord are the same but we would expect you to do the following on daily basis:
- Work with product managers, designers, business colleagues and other engineers to understand end-user problems and implement appropriate solutions
- Assist your squad by defining tasks end-to-end, delegating work and implementing the solutions with them
- Use your knowledge of React and Typescript to continuously improve the platform, add new features and get rid of our old jQuery-based framework to testable React + Typescript standards
- Review the code of your colleagues
- Offer to mentor to less experienced developers
- Expand our library of reusable components
- Add tooling to make developer’s life easier
- Continuously develop your skillset via tailored professional development objectives and budget
You should apply if the following sounds like you:
- Excellent TypeScript knowledge and experience in a commercial setting
- Proficient with advanced software engineering design and architecture principles, patterns and practices.
- Proficient at writing automated tests using frameworks such as Jest, React Testing Library or Cypress.
- Strong knowledge of web application security and how to guard against common vulnerabilities.
- Confident at debugging issues in local and production environments and across system boundaries.
- Strong communication skills and can adapt to the technical level of your audience.
- Focused on providing value, solving end-user problems and having a real impact on the organization.
- Biased towards collaboration.
- Open to learning new languages, technologies and ways of working.
We started Goodlord because we wanted to make renting simple and transparent for everyone involved: the agent, landlord and tenant. We knew generation rent would lead to more tenants, with higher digital expectations and we were confident we could provide a solution.
And we did. Like all high growth companies it’s been a bit of a roller coaster journey, but we’re now stronger than ever, with over 2500 happy customers and exciting new products. We have ambitious plans but with William Reeve at the helm alongside co-founder Tom Mundy and a brilliant team of over 300 talented Goodlordians we are confident we’ll achieve these.
Our values guide our decisions, the way we work, our culture and the people we ask to join the team. We work hard, have fun and support each other. We’re not afraid to make mistakes (we’d never learn if we didn’t) and we’re always looking to challenge ourselves. Our style is collaboration based on honesty, friendship and respect.
And we’re proud to have been recognised as a Great Place to work. No one likes a show off, but we can’t not shout about this. We’ve worked hard to make Goodlord great, and it’s important you know this isn’t just words on paper; Goodlordians have validated this which has led to us being accredited:
- 9th in Deloitte’s UK Technology Fast 50
- 10th Great Place to Work in the UK large-sized businesses
- 23rd Wellbeing Great Place to Work in UK Large- sized businesses
- Excellence in wellbeing for our dedication to goodlordian’s wellbeing
- Verified by Flexa as a Flexified employer - Top 100 for 2022
It’s an exciting time here at Goodlord. If you’re inspired by what we’re doing, are up for a challenge and share our values, we’d love to hear from you.
Why you'll love being a Goodlordian:
Aside from the role, the people, our culture and our mission, we have some other things that make Goodlord a pretty awesome place to be. Here’s a few favourites amongst Goodlordians (check out our careers page for more info).
- 🚀 Grow with Goodlord: your development is important to us. Have a goal in mind? Share it with us and you can use your £1000 annual development fund to support it. We guarantee you’ll learn loads and develop both personally and professionally at Goodlord too
- 💞 Your well-being matters: bi-weekly coaching with Sanctus to provide Goodlordians with a safe place to talk and support your mental health
- 🌴Unlimited holiday and flexible time off: we encourage Goodlordians to make use of their unlimited time off to enjoy the world, recharge, and reboot. We also offer time off for volunteering and training, so you can give back to the community and pursue your passions
- 🤗Supporting your family: we offer Goodlordians of all genders a generous 3 months of fully-paid time off to look after their new arrivals
- 🤩 Our team: we’re an energetic, sociable, and talented bunch who are super passionate about what we do and determined to make a difference. We’re all in it together, we learn from each other, we’re genuine and we don’t have time for politics
Goodlord wants applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment. In fact one of our core values is Bring our whole selves to work which is really important to us. If there is anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we'd like to hear about that too, please just include it in your application. Come and join us!
** Please note, as we are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all Goodlordians are required to pass a thorough referencing check via Experian before joining the team. We will only ask for references at the point of making an offer **
Strictly NO agencies - we are not looking for extra support at this time.--