1–2 days per week at home
A little flex time
🏡 Location - London HQ - Hybrid working as standard (2 days per week in the office) OR Remote role (UK based only) OR Fully office based if you prefer!
The choice is yours...
One in five people in the UK rent their homes.
Goodlord’s mission? To provide them with the best renting experience in the world.
Goodlord digitalises the renting process for agents, landlords, and tenants. The platform streamlines everything from referencing right through to rent collection, making the process easier and more transparent for everyone.
We are looking for engineers from mid to lead level to help us improve this experience.
About the tech stack
To process tenancies, estate agents use a web application built with React and TypeScript, with a backend built in PHP. This communicates with a number of third parties via different APIs and other internal services, via an Event driven architecture.
Referencing is built in its own services, where the communication between client and server is done via GraphQL and the backend is built in C#.
Finally, to help tenants, we have a frontend application built with React and TypeScript, plus a mobile application for both iOS (Swift) and Android (Java/Kotlin) that uses a Ruby backend.
All of this infrastructure is deployed using Terraform and Docker into Kubernetes clusters in AWS.
Although as a frontend engineer your focus is in the client facing areas, there will be opportunities for you to learn and work on other parts of the system.
How do we work?
The engineering team consists of a number of squads working independently in different parts of the application but still supporting each other as a wider team. Each squad comprises a product manager, designer and a mix of frontend and backend engineers.
About the role
“Working at Goodlord has been the fastest period of growth for me as an engineer and thanks to the supportive tech leads and senior engineers I have managed to explore things normally outside my comfort zone, build features end to end and think about problems in new ways.”
- Brian Muyambo, Software engineer
Your day to day will be…
- Following a personalised plan to grow as an engineer
- Designing and documenting tech implementations that solve real problems
- Implementing features on your own or pairing with other engineers
- Owning the delivery of complex features
- Identifying areas of improvement in code and processes
- Proactively identifying and fixing major code issues
We need you…
- To be proficient with basic programming concepts and competent about more advanced ones
- To understand the end to end flows of web applications
- To be confident debugging issues across system boundaries, both in testing and production environments
- To be proficient at writing automated unit, integration and end to end tests
- To be open to learning new languages, technologies, and ways of working
- To be focused on providing value, solving end-user problems, and having a real impact on the organisation.
- To be biassed towards collaboration.
Do you think you might be the right person?
Check out what an ideal engineer would be in Goodlord in this article:
We started Goodlord because we wanted to make renting simple and transparent for everyone involved: the agent, landlord and tenant. We knew generation rent would lead to more tenants, with higher digital expectations and we were confident we could provide a solution.
And we did. Like all high growth companies it’s been a bit of a roller coaster journey, but we’re now stronger than ever, with over 2500 happy customers and exciting new products. We have ambitious plans but with William Reeve at the helm alongside co-founder Tom Mundy, and a brilliant team of over 300 talented Goodlordians we are confident we’ll achieve these.
Our values guide our decisions, the way we work, our culture and the people we ask to join the team. We work hard, have fun and support each other. We’re not afraid to make mistakes (we’d never learn if we didn’t) and we’re always looking to challenge ourselves. Our style is collaboration based on honesty, friendship and respect.
And we’re proud to have been recognised as a Great Place to work. No one likes a show off, but we can’t not shout about this. We’ve worked hard to make Goodlord great, and it’s important you know this isn’t just words on paper; Goodlordians have validated this which has led to us being accredited:
- 9th in Deloitte’s UK Technology Fast 50
- 10th Great Place to Work in the UK large-sized businesses
- 23rd Wellbeing Great Place to Work in UK Large- sized businesses
- Excellence in wellbeing for our dedication to goodlordian’s wellbeing
- Verified by Flexa as a Flexified employer - Top 100 for 2022
It’s an exciting time here at Goodlord. If you’re inspired by what we’re doing, are up for a challenge and share our values, we’d love to hear from you.
Why you'll love being a Goodlordian
Aside from the role, the people, our culture and our mission, we have some other things that make Goodlord a pretty awesome place to be. Here’s a few favourites amongst Goodlordians (check out our careers page for more info).
- 🚀 Grow with Goodlord: your development is important to us. Have a goal in mind? Share it with us and you can use your £1000 annual development fund to support it. We guarantee you’ll learn loads and develop both personally and professionally at Goodlord too
- 💞 Your well-being matters: bi-weekly coaching with Sanctus to provide Goodlordians with a safe place to talk and support your mental health
- 🌴Unlimited holiday and flexible time off: we encourage Goodlordians to make use of their unlimited time off to enjoy the world, recharge, and reboot. We also offer time off for volunteering and training, so you can give back to the community and pursue your passions
- 🤗Supporting your family: we offer Goodlordians of all genders a generous 3 months of fully-paid time off to look after their new arrivals
- 🤩 Our team: we’re an energetic, sociable, and talented bunch who are super passionate about what we do and determined to make a difference. We’re all in it together, we learn from each other, we’re genuine and we don’t have time for politics
The Interview Process typically looks something like this:
For more information, Donovan, our CTO, has written a blog post that goes in-depth into our interview process: https://blog.goodlord.co/careers/how-goodlord-recruits-engineers.
Goodlord wants applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment. In fact one of our core values is Bring our whole selves to work which is really important to us. If there is anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we'd like to hear about that too, please just include it in your application. Come and join us!
** Please note, as we are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all Goodlordians are required to pass a thorough referencing check via Experian before joining the team. We will only ask for references at the point of making an offer **
Strictly NO agencies - we are not looking for extra support at this time.