Director of Engineering - Engineering Enablement
Flipdish allows restaurants to take orders online in an instant. Our technology powers millions of transactions across thousands of restaurants worldwide. With a branded website, mobile app, or self-service kiosk powered by Flipdish’s world-class technology, hospitality brands can directly accept digital orders without having to list on marketplace platforms.
You’ll join us in an incredibly exciting phase of transition and growth, as we rapidly expand our development and product teams in Ireland, UK, and internationally.
You won’t be told what to build. You’ll be shown the problems and opportunities, given access to people you need to talk to, and given the tools you need in order to succeed.
Due to our continued growth, Flipdish is seeking an experienced Director of Engineering for the Engineering Enablement organisation. Teams within Engineering Enablement enable our product teams by providing the foundational technology and world-class engineering experience for them to be productive.
The Engineering Enablement organisation consists of the following teams:
- Infrastructure: cloud computing, provisioning, and deployment pipelines
- Platform: the core technology underpinning all Flipdish products
- Data: analyzing the vast amounts of information available in our system for business value
- Engineer Experience: creating an incredibly productive and delightful working environment for engineers, from recruitment through onboarding and ongoing training
Directors of Engineering at Flipdish manage multiple teams, and are managers of managers. They are senior and influential members of Flipdish Engineering, helping to create new initiatives and push existing programs forward to success.
Directors of Engineering are expected to make multiple teams effective as a cohesive group. They are able to “zoom out” to work strategically but also drill down into the tactical issues that their teams face.
Directors of Engineering are extremely skilled at ensuring their teams reliably deliver high-quality software, and do so with minimal supervision.
The successful candidate for this role will be looking for an exciting new challenge in a hyper-growth and remote environment. They will have a passion for technology and team leadership, and be willing to take on new challenges that directly affect the company’s growth.
What You'll Do
The role has many strategic responsibilities listed below:
People & Culture
- Coach, guide and mentor for your team members
- Lead a group of high-performing teams with a strong culture of trust, collaboration, and autonomy
- Align your teams to measurable business outcomes, not output or activity
- Set clear expectations and goals for the group
- Recruit, interview and hire for your group
- Represent - through daily actions - our values and behaviours
- Be an ambassador for diversity in the technology field, and promote diversity within Flipdish
Infrastructure and Technical Operations
- Accountability for the stability and technical performance of our products and services that build the customer experience across our clients sites, applications, brands and licenses.
- Drive initiatives to ensure the stability and the continued high availability of our platforms and services.
- Lead and be responsible for your team’s risks with a particular focus on security, compliance, service availability and reliability.
Budget & Financial Responsibilities
- Ensure that budget activities are properly delivered (forecast, actuals, etc.) and that budget targets are met, as well as tech Opex and Capex.
- Ensure smooth financial planning for your area to align with business forecasting and identifying efficiencies in spend when needed.
- Take on account management responsibility with vendors, suppliers and our partners for our key technology services.
- Ensure effective and clear communication to our teams of our strategies, decisions and plans to improve alignment across our teams.
- Working with Product Management, build a culture of empowered Flipdish teams.
- Train and develop your team members and give them regular feedback on their performance.
- Take feedback from your team and others to improve your own performance.
- Be the voice of your team with stakeholders, from issues and challenges they are having to publicizing their achievements.
- Reasoned. You can make a decision and defend it confidently, based on a thorough understanding of business and product development
- Energised but calm in dynamic situations
- Disciplined and determined, and motivated by team success
- Friendly, empathetic, and considerate
- Humble, and willing to take feedback in all areas
- Intrigued by puzzles
- Recent experience managing engineers in a high impact organization
- A background as an engineering manager with experience in a modern tech stack
- Excellent skills in modern Cloud Infrastructure (Azure preferred)
- Experience recruiting highly proficient technical teams
- A deep understanding of modern software development practices and DevOps culture
- Focus on quality, while increasing efficiency, delivering value, while reducing waste
- A proven history of building close working relationships with your stakeholders and creating world-class products
- An ability to execute on and deliver complex technical projects involving multiple stakeholders
- Equally comfortable leading discussions with users, non-technical and technical teams
Too many to list on this job post! We are a growing startup that understands that only amazing incentives will attract the best talent. This obviously includes ESOP because we want all of our best employees to have skin in the game. In addition to a long list of incentives, we provide unparalleled opportunities for growth and development. If you are smart, ambitious and hard-working, we will do whatever it takes to convince you to join the Flipdish rocketship!
We also have
- Access to training and certification
- Collaborative work environment with a dynamic and diverse team — and we do actually mean this and invest in it
- Team-building activities and social events
- Unparalleled opportunity to grow and advance within the company
We are primarily located in Ireland, but we are a remote team and we will consider highly-qualified applicants from other nearby locations.
No business embodies diversity like the food business. And at Flipdish, we're all about empowering those diverse, local, independent businesses - all over the planet. For us, diversity isn't a checkbox. It's embedded in how we work. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills - all working together in an open, honest and transparent culture. Because our strength comes from embracing our differences: differences that reflect the diverse customers we serve.
Please note that for this role we only accept applications from candidates directly. No recruitment agency assistance is needed.
Flipdish is a hyper growth technology company (3rd in the 2020 Deloitte Fast 50) who puts hospitality brands of all sizes in control of their business growth with a digital ordering and marketing system that builds brands, grows profits and turns customers into regulars.
With a branded website, app or self-service kiosk, powered by Flipdish’s world-class technology, hospitality brands can directly accept digital orders without having to list on aggregator platforms, at a lower cost and with more control over the customer experience.
Started in 2015 by technology entrepreneurs James and Conor McCarthy, Flipdish is headquartered in Dublin with a team of 280 digital food retailing enthusiasts, 6000 active clients across 12 countries with teams in Ireland, UK, Spain, France, Germany and the US.
Flipdish Mission Statement: “To provide food businesses with the best-in-class tools and support they need to win.”