3–4 days per week at home
A little flex time
Depop is the community-powered fashion marketplace to buy and sell unique fashion, with over 30 million registered users in more than 150 countries. Depop is a place for anyone to discover and celebrate their style on their own terms, and to feel good about their fashion choices by extending the lives of millions of garments. The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in London with offices in Manchester, New York, Los Angeles and Sydney. Depop has approximately 400 employees dedicated to its mission of building the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion, that’s kinder on the planet and kinder to people. In 2021, Depop became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Etsy - the global marketplace for unique and creative goods - and continues to operate as a standalone company.
Our mission is to build the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion. Our team is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
Depop exists to empower the next generation to transform fashion. We are a community-powered fashion ecosystem that's kinder to the planet and kinder to people. We give our audience something they can't get anywhere else - unique fashion, with amazing people and the chance to create a better future by showing up as their full selves, at full volume.
Our DNA defines the essence of our company as an employer– how we are unique and what matters to us.
In 2022 and 2023 we are heavily investing in providing support for our engineers aligned better with the current company structure. We are looking for Engineering Managers to guide our cross-functional teams and shape engineering culture inside the company. This Engineering Manager position offers the opportunity to lead one of our Sellers teams in London. You’ll be able to shape experience of people who sell in Depop - from people who want to clear out their wardrobe, to professional sellers who are Depop sellers for a living. You will be reporting to Head of Engineering. Responsibilities:
As an Engineering Manager within this team, you can expect to:
- Lead and manage a cross functional team of engineers (3 to 6) - your main responsibility will be making sure the people in the team are happy and set up for success, you are encouraged to stay hands on, but this should not be the primary focus.
- Be accountable for the performance of the team as a unit and the career growth of the engineers within the team. Have regular 1:1s and provide continuous feedback to the team members.
- Work closely with diverse functions within the team across product, design, analytics and QA to ensure that your team is clear on goals and delivering value for our users.
- Work with the recruiting team in the end-to-end recruiting process.
- Ensure that new engineers onboard successfully and have the greatest opportunity to excel at Depop and their careers.
- Advocate for your team and engineering to raise awareness on team health, ensure inclusion, and drive positive change.
- Establish and maintain an inclusive, respectful, and diverse culture to ensure that all voices are heard.
- Collaborate with teams across the pillar and the organisation to ensure cohesion across projects and roadmaps.
- Facilitate continuous learning and improvement for your team.
- You are an Engineering manager in search of a new exciting opportunity.
- Can facilitate technical decision-making across multiple technical landscapes, having passion for the technical aspects of your work, but can let engineers drive the details.
- Experience building high-traffic systems servicing 10,000s of concurrent users
- Strong knowledge of systems design, within a modern cloud-based environment (AWS, GCP)
- Know how to apply processes judiciously to improve, rather than hamper, the team’s productivity.
- Can explore and assess needs from a high level perspective and make decisions based on the data available in the face of ambiguous or changing priorities and goals.
- Can collaborate with cross-disciplinary stakeholders with varying goals to achieve great results that satisfy all requirements.
- Know how to drive positive interactions throughout your team and drive positive change.
- Passion for building a platform that is user-obsessed.
- You align with our “Depop DNA” - showing up for the community, having each others backs, acting with purpose while having sustainability and cost in mind through thinking thrift.
Bonus point if:
- You are familiar with any of the following technologies : Scala, Swift ( iOS), React and Typescript or Kotlin (Android).
- You come from an e-commerce background.
- You have previously worked in an App first business.
- Worked with infrastructure as code and deployment pipelines, preferably with terraform.
Health + Mental Wellbeing
- Cash-plan or PMI - you have the choice of a healthcare plan that best suits you
- Subsidised counselling and coaching - we partner with Selfspace to provide you the opportunity for a good conversation with a qualified person
- Cycle to Work scheme - choose between Evans or the Green Commute Initiative to help access a bike for your commute
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) - have access to a confidential support network of expert advice 24/7
- Mental Health First Aiders - we have trained individuals across the business to offer support and signposting
- 25 days annual leave with the option to carryover up to 5 days
- 1 company-wide day off per quarter, for you to take some time for yourself and decompress
- 2 activism days per year for you to use for volunteering, demonstrations or internal initiatives
- We offer sabbaticals for our long serving employees.
We’re Flexa® accredited, meaning we offer genuinely flexible working;
- We'd love you to head to your nearest Depop office once a week, but feel free to work from home the rest of the week!
- Want to head into the office more? No problem, you can opt to be "Office-Based", with your very own desk.
- Do you do your best work from home? You can also request to be a remote worker, and only head into the office 4 times per year *role dependent
- In the office, we provide healthy snacks, tea and coffee and the occasional surprise treats!
- All of our offices are also dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.
- Apply to work abroad 4 weeks of the year (in UK tax treaty countries)
- Maternity + Paternity Leave, plus adoption leave, IVF leave, shared parental leave + paid emergency parent/carer leave
Learn and Grow
- We offer a personal learning budget for every employee and also sponsor and run a myriad of programmes, conferences and meet-ups to upskill our employees and enhance their journey with us.
- Life Insurance (financial compensation of 3x your salary)
- Pension (Depop will match your contribution up to 6% of your qualifying earnings)
And finally, as a valued Depop employee We waive all of our employees’ fees when they sell on Depop and also ship your sold items anywhere in the UK for free using our team’s account