Core hours 11 - 3
*This role can be offered on a flexible hybrid basis from our Bristol HQ, or on a remote basis, anywhere in the UK*
We’re an award-winning tech business, recently named the Top UK SaaS Company to work for. Our UK HQ is located in Bristol, cited as being one of the fast growing technology hubs in the country.
Brightpearl is the number one digital operations platform (DOP) for brands and retailers. We manage everything ‘after the buy button’ so that our customers can focus on growing their business. “People First” is one of our core company values, so before we get too into your day to day, here’s a taster of what we bring to the table:
- The opportunity to work with talented people
- A transparent leadership team
- Flexible working and generous holiday allowances
And that’s not all. Check out our perks and benefits to see what else we offer!
About the Role
Brightpearl exists to automate retail. We manage over 10m transactions and $2bn of business a year with our cloud platform. We are looking for talented software engineers to join our polyglot teams in the UK.
This is an opportunity to collaborate in a cross-functional team to design, extend and implement the UI of our web app. We are at an early stage of our implementation of ReactJS, so we expect this role to contribute to defining how we do things moving forward. The plan is to use a ReactJS + TypeScript framework interacting with our existing service oriented architecture to implement all new features, and port existing functionality out of our legacy PHP UI.
We implement agile scrum and you will be able to have a direct impact on team processes by regular agile retrospectives.
About the Team
Our products and services are designed, built and cared for by our engineering teams in Bristol. Each team owns a slice of the product portfolio in close collaboration with product managers. We believe in letting teams self-organise and self-determine by supporting them with design and project expertise when needed.
We use Java, Go, PHP, JS, TypeScript and SQL in a diverse suite of applications. Our service oriented architecture processes thousands of transactions an hour while maintaining high-availability and reliability. Our uniform deployment platform (Kubernetes on AWS supported by our global SRE team) means that everyone gets hands-on experience with the full lifecycle of each product.
- Collaborate with other Software Engineers and SDETs to deliver the frontend for new features and defect fixes.
- Contribute to the move of features out of our legacy PHP UI into our new react.js + TypeScript framework interacting with our existing service oriented architecture.
- Produce fully tested code that respects the industry best practices and standards.
- Diagnose problems seen in production and advise on solutions.
- Work in a virtualized environment using Docker and Kubernetes to create, and manage the provisioning of the services.
- Expand your knowledge of programming languages and technical stacks.
- Collaborate with product owners and other stakeholders to the definition of new features and projects.
- Experience writing well-tested code in a modern framework like ReactJS, Angular, or similar
- Experience with TypeScript or typing systems like Flow.
- Proficient in HTML5/CSS3.
- Integration experience with HTTP APIs (e.g. REST).
- Knowledge of secure web development practices.
- Experience tracking down bugs in a production environment.
- Motivated by continual improvement, with a keen interest in learning new technologies.
- Ability to work with a variety of languages and technologies day-to-day.
- Strong problem solving skills with a creative approach
- Good verbal and written communication skills; fluent in English.
- Team player – enjoys collaboration and helping others, as well as working autonomously to deliver to deadlines, with quality.
- Work calmly under pressure to resolve production issues.
- Proactively communicate with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Quality focused and detail oriented.
- Eligible to work in the UK without visa sponsorship from Brightpearl.
It would be great if you also have
- Good understanding of relational databases and SQL.
- Good knowledge of some backend languages such as Java, PHP, nodejs, etc.
- Experience in scaling web applications and UI performance.
- Working knowledge of testing tools like Selenium.
- Experience in using and maintaining CI / CD tools (such as GoCD, Jenkins or similar).
- Experience developing concurrent and distributed applications.
- Familiarity with Linux servers and deployment strategies, including Docker and Kubernetes
- You’ll be joining one of the top UK SaaS Companies based in central Bristol - named top city to live in
- We offer a competitive salary, stock options and a pension matching scheme
- 25 days of annual leave, plus long service awards and volunteering days to give back to the community
- We promote health and well-being through comprehensive medical, dental insurance packages with Vitality, Bupa and HealthShield and subsidised gym memberships
- We support work-life balance through flexi-time and working from home opportunities
- Opportunity to collaborate and share success through company wide socials and All Hands
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we collaborate and learn from each other is core to Brightpearl’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a supportive place to work.
**Please note, all applicants must possess the right to work in the UK**