What’s the role?
Naval submarines represent some of the most complex manufactured assets in the world and as such provide interesting, challenging and rewarding work for the people that design, build and support them through life. As an Engineer within our expanding Naval Engineering Team, you will have the opportunity to be involved in projects across the Platform lifecycle for both our UK and international customers.
As a member of the team, you will get involved in solving engineering challenges through leading the development and delivery of the Naval Engineering aspects of our projects. The projects will range from supporting our UK and international customers in procuring and designing new submarines to delivering complex in-service changes, through the delivery of feasibility studies, technical engineering investigations and analyses.
As an employee within BMT’s Naval Engineering Department, you will also have an opportunity to contribute to the delivery of projects across our wider portfolio, including naval ships, commercial vessels and a range of broader consulting projects within our other market areas.
Research and development are also at the heart of what we do, and you will have the opportunity to support; enhancing global understanding of submarine issues, the development of future submarine design concepts as well as the development of new capabilities, tools and processes.
We are looking for Submarine Engineers across a range of Grades, with Mechanical or Electrical specialisms. To be successful in the role you will have:
- HND/HNC and/or a Degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline i.e. Mechanical, Electrical or Marine Engineering;
- Ideally of Chartered Engineer status with a recognised professional body, or working towards achieving Chartered Engineer status;
- Submarine system design capabilities with a broad understanding of machinery spaces and auxiliary systems, hotel systems, primary and secondary propulsion systems and electrical systems; we are also interested in hearing from you if you can demonstrate experience of complex systems such as iPMS, AVC etc;
- Understanding of the issues pertaining to the integration of submarine systems and equipment;
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills with experience of leading technical projects to time, cost and quality through excellent organisational skills despite competing priorities;
- Good interpersonal skills with experience of communicating your work to stakeholders in a clear and concise manner through meetings, written reports and/or presentations;
- Flexibility to be deployed on a range of projects and customer sites.
In addition, some of the following experience would be desirable:
- Dealing with equipment suppliers and manufacturers;
- Design intent management and experience of working within Shipyard environment;
- Ability to produce system schematics (in AutoCAD), ship and technical specifications and provide input into design change bid response documentation;
- Knowledge and experience of working with Class Society Rules, preferably Lloyd’s Register, but also an understanding of DNV and ABS;
- Liaising with customers to understand their requirements and producing statements of work or proposals that deliver innovative solutions;
- Project management;
- Leading and line managing junior members of staff, supporting the technical delivery of their work and their ongoing professional development.
We would be particularly interested to hear from Service Leavers and former submariners or from individuals who have been involved in the submarine programme both in the procurement and in-service areas.
Please note, the successful candidate must be a sole UK National and hold, or be eligible to obtain, UK security clearance to SC level.
Missing skills? Let us be the judge! BMT are passionate about people; we recognise that technology moves quickly and that no one can learn everything, which is why we seek those who can adapt and demonstrate the aptitude to learn. With enthusiasm and the right attitude, we can help you discover your potential.
We exist to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time. We create environments where people with outstanding technical knowledge deliver meaningful, practical solutions. We are driven by a commitment to a safer, more efficient, effective and sustainable future to find out more about BMT click here .
BMT is open and committed to discussing flexible working. We believe that everyone performs at their best when they have the flexibility to make working for BMT work best for them.
BMT hires talented people and welcomes applications from everyone. At this time, we particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian, Minority ethnic, female, and non-binary candidates as we are underrepresented in these groups.
We know that diversity, equity, and inclusion is critical to achieving our purpose as a business which is to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time (to find out more click here ). Our passion and goal are to build more diverse teams and to create an environment where employees are engaged, thriving, and feel a sense of belonging.
At BMT, our employee benefits are designed to ensure you have the resources you need to thrive.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a wide range of benefits in areas including health, family, finance, and personal development.
Don’t hesitate to ask more about our benefits during the hiring process.
Does this sound like you? If so, please submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to learning more about you.
A message to recruitment agencies: We receive applications exclusively via our ATS. Please note that we do not accept CVs submitted via email to the HR department or staff within our Operational teams. We will not progress CVs shared on a speculative basis by email and you accept our right to pursue such candidates with no obligation to third-party terms and conditions or liability to a fee
We asked employees of BMT how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at BMT
Gender diversity (male:female)
66% Male, 28% Female
Teddington, Bath, Southampton, Fareham, Bristol, Plymouth, Weymouth, Leeds, Aberdeen, Glasgow