Electrical (& Senior) Engineers
We exist to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time. We create environments where people with outstanding technical knowledge deliver meaningful, practical solutions. We are driven by a commitment to a safer, more efficient, effective and sustainable future. To find out more about BMT please go to www.bmt.org
Through our projects and operations, we seek to create positive economic, social, and environmental outcomes, inspiring and helping our customers, suppliers, and partners to have a more positive impact in the world. We are committed to demonstrating sustainability practices across our operations, and conduct business in a manner that is responsible, and accountable.
We know that diversity, equity, and inclusion are critical to achieving our purpose as a business. Our goal is to build more diverse teams and to create an environment where employees are engaged, thriving, and feel a sense of belonging.
Why work for us?
At BMT, our employee benefits are designed to ensure you have the resources you need to thrive.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a wide range of benefits in areas including health, family, finance, and personal development. An example of some of the benefits we offer.
- Private Medical (family coverage)
- Enhanced Pension
- Flexible Working
- Wellbeing Fund – a yearly fund for you to spend on a hobby or interest.
- Employee Assistance Programme
- 26 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- Holiday Trading
- Retail Vouchers
- Professional Subscriptions
“We’ve been Flexified, so you can trust that we’re a truly flexible workplace” To find out more about our verified flexible status, visit - Flexa Careers | Flexible Workplaces Offering Freedom & Choice
About the role
Due to growth, we are seeking Electrical Engineers & Senior Electrical Engineers to support the delivery of a broad range of naval engineering projects. The main responsibilities of the role will include:
- Assisting with the design of Electrical Engineering Systems for new marine platforms, life extension programmes and in-service solutions, including design changes and modifications.
- Providing advice on the integration of electrical systems and equipment within ships, submarines, and other marine platforms.
- Providing electrical engineering support across a range of technical consultancy projects, principally in the Maritime (Defence or Commercial Shipping) Sector but also including Land and Environmental Sectors.
- Liaising with customers to understand requirements and provide innovative solutions to complex problems.
- Management of electrical engineering projects.
- Provision of ad-hoc assistance to broader mechanical and marine engineering projects.
The role is based in the Southwest from our Bath office; however, we happily promote flexible and homeworking for our staff where appropriate. The successful candidates will be able to combine a mixture of remote and office-based working on a hybrid basis.
Are you looking to apply your engineering knowledge to new and varied challenges, from helping and advising customers with engineering projects to supporting the creation and realisation of new systems? If so, this role may be for you.
We are looking for new team members who have begun their careers in a purely Electrical or Integrated Electrical Engineering discipline and now wish to take the next steps in building their knowledge and experience.
As a member of the Naval Engineering Business Unit, we are looking for someone who can independently deliver work as assigned by line management, whilst providing professional engineering services and support across the department. The candidate should have a demonstrable understanding and experience of the application of electrical engineering capabilities, methodologies, process and toolsets to related Design and Engineering activities.
The candidate is expected to be able to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Electrical Engineer with HNC/HND/Foundation Degree or Bachelors/Master’s Degree in an Electrical related subject or appropriate Naval and/or Commercial Marine electrical experience.
- Ideally to be of Chartered Engineer status with a recognised professional body or if not, then a working towards achieving Chartered Engineer status.
- Demonstrable Electrical experience in the Maritime (Defence Surface/Sub-Surface or Commercial Shipping), or Environmental sectors.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills with experience of leading technical projects to time, cost, and quality through excellent organisational skills despite competing priorities.
- Good interpersonal skills with experience of communicating your work to stakeholders in a clear and concise manner through meetings, written reports and/or presentations; ability to communicate at all levels in an organisation.
- Ability to coach/mentor less experienced staff and able to receive and give feedback.
- Flexibility to be deployed on a range of projects, across customer sites and using a breadth of technical skills and knowledge.
- Dedication to providing first-class service to our clients.
In addition, some of the following experience would be desirable:
- Dealing with equipment suppliers and manufacturers.
- Understanding of the issues pertaining to the integration of electrical systems and equipment or complex integrated electrical systems within ships or marine platforms.
- Design intent management and experience of working within Shipyard environment.
- Knowledge and experience of working with Class Society Rules, preferably Lloyd’s Register, but also an understanding of DNV and ABS; good understanding of electrical regulation and legislation.
- Liaising with customers to understand their requirements and producing statements of work or proposals that deliver innovative solutions.
- Project management.
- Leading and line managing junior members of staff, supporting the technical delivery of their work and their ongoing professional development.
To be successful in the role you will be someone who thrives on new challenges, is motivated by variety, and has a strong desire to build on your experience.
Please note, the successful candidate must hold, or be eligible to obtain, UK security clearance to SC level.
Missing skills? Let us be the judge! BMT are passionate about people; we recognise that technology moves quickly and that no one can learn everything, which is why we seek those who can adapt and demonstrate the aptitude to learn. With enthusiasm and the right attitude, we can help you discover your potential.
Does this sound like you? If so, please submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to learning more about you.
A message to recruitment agencies: We receive applications exclusively via our ATS. Please note that we do not accept CVs submitted via email to the HR department or staff within our Operational teams. We will not progress CVs shared on a speculative basis by email and you accept our right to pursue such candidates with no obligation to third-party terms and conditions or liability to a fee
We asked employees of BMT how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at BMT
Gender diversity (male:female)
66% Male, 28% Female
Teddington, Bath, Southampton, Fareham, Bristol, Plymouth, Weymouth, Leeds, Aberdeen, Glasgow