A little flex time
At Capdesk, we’re rewriting how companies use equity to empower their people.
We help businesses unite founders, investors and employees through better equity management and greater access to liquidity – no more waiting for the company to IPO.
In the last few years, we’ve become a leader in our field, providing the easiest way for 1000s of private companies to digitise their equity information and manage employee share schemes. There are no longer any excuses for denying employees a share of the wealth they helped to create.
2021 was eventful – we raised £8m and launched in multiple new European markets – but we’ve set our sights even higher for 2022 and we’re counting on every new joiner to help us get there. We’re staying as lean as possible, so every hire matters.
Capdesk is a remote-friendly startup with a team-first mentality. We have amazing people all over the world but many employees are based in Copenhagen or London where we still have brick-and-mortar offices. Applicants are welcome from every time zone within UTC -5 and +2.
About the role
So that's well and good, but what are we looking for really?
Maybe your current job features too much bureaucracy and not enough flexibility. Maybe you miss faster, simpler and easier times back when you were just 50 employees.
Well, well, what a happy coincidence! This is where Capdesk is right now. We have so much to build and tons of interesting opportunities to chase. We want to grow, but at a controlled pace. We're not on an uncontrolled hypergrowth journey and when it comes to hiring, we value quality over quantity.
About the role itself now. Note that we are not looking for "Engineering Managers", but rather "Engineering Leads". We believe that the word lead puts emphasis on what we value - which is leadership. Leadership can take many forms, but mostly, we want our leads to inspire their team - both on the technical and personal side. We strongly believe that our engineering leads should remain technical, so they are able to assess problems quickly, understand the reality of their fellow engineers and take well-advised decisions.
At Capdesk, our engineering leads are expected to:
- Coach individual contributors and help them grow in their role.
- Have educated opinions on software architecture and technical decisions.
- Be hands-on. We want leads to have a good understanding of the codebase and contribute actively.
- Own project management of their team. Our leads are handling the sprints and priorities hand in hand with their product manager. They are providing structure and organization to the team, and are representing their technical voice.
- Work very closely with our amazing Product Managers and Product Designers.
- Be collected and empathetic. Like every startup, it can get quite hectic around here sometimes. Our leads are expected to lead the way, understand other department realities and stay level-headed.
- Have the customer in mind, always! At the end of the day, we work for our customers and want them to succeed.
- Participate in our recruitment efforts.
This is an amazing opportunity to become one of our engineering culture pillars and help define our future!
Our tech stack:
- Our back-end runs on Ruby on Rails, using PostgreSQL and Redis.
- Our infrastructure runs on Heroku (we like to keep it simple).
- Our frontend infrastructure is composed of three micro-frontends application. We’re currently phasing out the legacy AngularJS stack in favor of our new React stack.
- Our designers create wireframes and prototypes in Figma
- We are big fans of everything GitHub, our CI/CD pipeline is based on GitHub Actions.
- We use a few amazing, best of the market tools: Datadog, Sentry, LaunchDarkly.
What we can offer you:
- The chance to make key decisions and have a big role in Capdesk's engineering department
- A front-row seat on a unicorn ride
- A team of amazing people from all over the world, with different cultures, experiences and knowledge
- Transparent equity ownership. We practise what we preach – everyone shares in the profits and wealth at Capdesk
- 25 days holiday per year (increasing by 1 day every year up to 5 days), plus national holidays
- Mental health and wellbeing support as well as access to therapists with Spill
- Very flexible working – we trust you to get the work done, wherever you are
- Enhanced parental leave - 26 weeks maternity, 17 weeks paternity (also includes adoption) and in the unfortunate circumstance we also offer miscarriage leave
- You get your very own Pleo company credit card, so no more expenses hassle
- Semi annual company trips (ask a Capdesker about our #supersocials) and quarterly kick offs
- Onboarding budget of £2,500 to spend on equipment you need so you can work to the best of your abilities.
Want to know what other people think of Capdesk?
- Hear from our current and past hires on Glassdoor
- Hear from some of our customers on Capterra
- We're one of AngelList’s startups to work for in 2022
- We're on Otta's 2021 Rocket List: London's fastest-growing companies to accelerate your career
Capdesk is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment regardless of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.