Whereabouts: We work from everywhere within CET +/- 5 hours
Interviews: Around 4-6 hours over a few weeks, including some practical work
Salary: £65,000 - £75, 000 (Depending on location and seniority)
Reporting to: Our Engineering Manager
Ask us anything: email@example.com or check out our FAQ for candidates here
*Note: We have no “caps” on our salary, and you can read our full compensation philosophy here. If our advertised salary doesn’t suit your current expectations, just let us know and we’re very open to discussing further.
“I’ve never seen a job being done by a five-hundred-person engineering team that couldn’t be done better by fifty people.” - C. Gordon Bell
Your mission at Whereby*
As a member of one of our multidisciplinary teams, you’ll further develop our product to help Whereby customers gain the freedom to live and work from anywhere. You’ll gain an understanding of their needs and apply your engineering expertise to explore solutions we can ship iteratively and learn from.
As a member of the Media Experience you will join their mission to give meeting participants a silky smooth and feature-rich audio and video experience.
*This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap, and will likely be your focus for a year or more.
What is Whereby all about
Freedom to work from anywhere: our mission with Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive.
📍 Our global HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but our users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in nearly every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, we want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For our 60 team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Engineering at Whereby
We strongly believe in the superpowers of a well-lead, and expertly designed engineering team. We are an engineering-centric business who hopes to scale our operation sustainably, with beautiful code, an ethical approach to our users and data, and an innovative opinion on new technologies in the market.
We try to ensure both that we are building the right thing and building the thing right. We analyse data, talk to users, prototype and iterate. We focus on discovering and solving user problems, not just building and shipping features. As a member of our engineering team you’ll take on a key role in this process and see your work be used by millions of users worldwide.
🔍 What we're looking for in this Web Engineering role
We're looking for customer-centric engineers who are keen to work with WebRTC technologies, and have experience of iterative product work in a startup – or any company that values innovation, great user experience and technical quality.
🌎 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role
We are prioritising attitude, aptitude, and the kind of impact you’ve had over years' experience. With that said, you may be a good fit if you meet many of the following criteria.
* Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
- Technically experienced
Your previous experience
- Have built browser-based software using web technologies.
- Are self-driven and take responsibility for product outcomes, doing whatever’s necessary to make things happen.
- Enjoy working in distributed teams and working cross-functionally with Product managers, designers, user researchers and other developers.
- Write code to be maintained – with good documentation, tests, and structure.
- Are keen to learn continuously, share your knowledge, communicate effectively and build a product in close collaboration with others.
- Build with scalability, operability and observability in mind: we own and support the code that we write all the way to production.
- You might have experience with WebRTC and TURN/SFU architecture — or be passionate about learning in this area.
- You are familiar with AWS or a similar cloud service provider.
🌟 How we'll measure your success
- You’re delivering work that has measurable business impact and value to customers – early and often.
- You’re a self-sufficient member of our team, driving your own work.
- You’re fully engaged in the product development life cycle, helping to shape your team’s roadmap.
- Work within the Media Experience team contributing to mid and long term roadmap, taking responsibility for the delivery of projects.
- Contribute your expert opinion on the scope and feasibility of your team's initiatives.
- Contribute to a diverse engineering culture based on customer-centricity, high-quality code, data-driven decisions, technical innovation and business impact.
- Develop and test product improvements that solve for customer needs in new and interesting ways.
- Collaborate with other engineers inside and outside of the team, helping them to do their best work and deliver projects according to our values and brand.
- Understand the important technical differentiating factors of our product, and leverage those in our architecture.
- Discuss insights on how customers use our product and make suggestions for how we can constantly improve the user experience and grow the customer base.
- Take part in scoping how new features can be built, and how customer needs can be met, while making pragmatic technical trade-offs.
- Write maintainable and performant code, with tests and documentation in case you get eaten by a yeti.
- Collaborate with your team on getting things done. Share your progress, review each other’s code and help each other out with constructive feedback.
- Safely coordinate regular deployments using our CI/CD infrastructure. Monitor and support your software in production.
- Take part in your team's on-call rota to support our media infrastructure in production.
You’ll be working in one of our Product teams, and you’ll work directly with your Product Manager on your day-to-day priorities. You’ll report to an Engineering Manager who will work with you on your progression – aiming to make sure you’re happy, challenged and doing the best work of your career every day. They’ll also help you find training and development opportunities.
We offer career progression routes for individual contributors, technical leaders, and managers. You don’t need to become a team lead or manager in order to progress here. It’s all about the impact you’re able to have. And there’s no shortage of opportunity to have an impact at Whereby – on the product, the business, the approach we take to product development and engineering, and on your colleagues.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌
If you have any more questions, take a peek at our Recruitment FAQ on Notion or drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can always read more about Whereby here on our open handbook.
Note: We perform background checks on certain roles. For more information about how and why we carry out background checks, this document is a great starting point. For anything further, please email email@example.com or your Talent Partner. Whereby’s background checks will be carried out by Zinc.