Signal AI are looking for an IP Counsel (Intellectual Property Lawyer) to join their team.
About Signal AI
At Signal we want to help organisations identify risks and opportunities and see movements in the market before anyone else. We want to help leaders take bold decisions, safe that the data is on their side.
We’ve already built a world-class artificial intelligence platform for real-time information aggregation and analysis at a massive scale. We proved our value with monitoring and measurement products in the reputation management space for public relations (PR), and are now joining the dots beyond. We work closely and collaborate with world-leading academics and industry practitioners in Information Retrieval (IR), Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning (ML).
We are friendly and informal people who are passionate about our brand as we all have a stake in our success. We have an inclusive environment, welcoming the skills and experience from many diverse backgrounds, and together we have created who we are and what we sell. We are proud of our achievements and continue to strive for the unknown.
Our total funding to date is around $50 million. In the latest funding round, Redline Capital joined our investor group that includes MMC Ventures, GMG Ventures and Hearst Ventures.
About the role - Who are you?
We are currently seeking an IP Counsel (5-10 years PQE) to join us in London. You will report into the General Counsel, based in London, and work closely with the four other lawyers split in between Signal’s London and New York offices.
Signal has experienced significant growth in the last year, and we are looking for someone who is passionate about copyright, content licensing and internet technologies, and excited about the opportunity of joining our small but agile Legal Department in the UK. A key focus for the role will be in advising on all matters related to intellectual property rights across the business, specifically related to copyright, content licensing and compliance. You will be incremental in supporting our commercial and legal teams with matters related to content and copyright in the client agreements, and the content licensing teams in negotiations with aggregators, publishers and collecting societies. Further, you will work with product, engineering and operations teams to advise on the use of content in our AI based products and services, and support with the planning and execution of compliance. Your expertise is based on copyright, database rights and other laws on IP, and you have good skills in commercial drafting and negotiations. This is a varied role with a lot of cross-functional and cross-jurisdictional exposure, best suited to someone who is proactive and a quick learner, and who enjoys working in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial technology environment.
While this is a UK based role, you will be advising teams globally, i.e. working with deals and other matters arising from our teams in other territories (US and Hong Kong), as and when required.
This is an opportunity for an ambitious, motivated person who is looking for a new chapter in their career within a friendly work environment and as part of a high performing team. Do you want to be part of shaping the legal operations in a fast-maturing scale-up? We would love to hear from you.
Role responsibilities - What will you do?
- Work closely with the commercial lawyers to advise on the content licensing and copyright matters in client negotiations for the provision of our AI based platform and technologies
- Draft and negotiate inbound licensing contracts for new data and content
- Advise product, engineering and operations teams in the use of data and content in the provision of our AI based products and services
- Outline compliance requirements and advise in the execution of compliance
- Manage the trademark portfolio including new registrations and the protection of acquired trademark rights
- Support the legal team in building the legal knowledge base, legal FAQs, improved contracting processes and training materials
Who You Are
- Passion for IP, content licensing and internet technologies
- Team player; enjoy cross-functional collaboration and working with others – both the lawyers as well as non-legal stakeholders
- Builder; work collaboratively on finding practical, implementable tools and operational solutions
- Passion for legal problems; know how to explain legal concepts to non-lawyers
- Capability of operating under pressure and understanding of how to manage both client and team expectations
- Self-motivated and driven; proactively identify issues and suggest solutions
- Friendly and down-to-earth
Knowledge, skills and experience - Who are we looking for?
- UK qualified lawyer with at least 5+ years PQE working in a law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Deep understanding of copyright law, database rights and other content-related legal issues
- Good skills in commercial drafting
- Background from the internet technologies; technically savvy with solid experience and understanding of the cloud-based services and legal issues that are cross-jurisdictional
- Experience working as part of an international fast-growing organisation is a bonus.
At Signal, we strongly believe that diverse teams perform better. We are committed to building and fostering an inclusive environment where our employees feel welcomed, valued and listened to - an environment where they can thrive being their true selves.
You’ll get the opportunity to be part of something really exciting. You’ll be a key player in helping to shape Signal AI now and in the years to come. Here’s how we enable Signallers to do their best work;
- Share options - we all own a piece of Signal AI, so we’ll all get to enjoy our success
- Hybrid Working Environment - we have a hybrid remote policy where you will be able to work remotely 2-3 days per week.
- Summer & Winter Fully remote blocks
- Health Cash Plan
- Unlimited holiday entitlement
- Pension plan
- Income Protection
- Life Insurance
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity and Dependents Leave policies
- Access to free therapists via Spill
- And more …