At Prolific, we’re on a mission to connect people around the world to make trustworthy data more accessible and facilitate world-changing research. Since 2014, we’ve been building the most powerful and flexible platform for online research. We’re enabling fast, reliable, and high quality data collection by connecting diverse people around the world.
Our mission is to make trustworthy data more accessible in order to help improve human knowledge and decision-making. Empowering great research.
Prolific is a bootstrapped, default alive startup of 70+ people. A remote first approach, with teams based mainly in the UK. Part of the YC alumni, and 2.5x compounding growth YoY since 2019, all driven by word-of-mouth. We know research is moving online, and this poses a great opportunity for Prolific in an ever growing complex and dynamic two-sided marketplace.
To help realise our vision and unlock Prolific’s future potential we're seeking to hire an outstanding Chief Technology Officer who’ll be the driving force behind shaping the future of our business. Reporting directly to the CEO & Co-Founder, you’ll be an influential member of the executive team with the autonomy to make things happen at pace.
This is a rare opportunity for an experienced technical leader to scale our engineering teams, set our technical direction, culture and contribute to our overall company strategy.
You’ll play an integral role, managing and scaling a diverse, internationally remote, engineering team. With a strong product focus you’ll set the vision, know and confidently articulate the technical direction both internally and externally - bringing everyone along with you; creating a culture of excitement, curiosity and space to challenge the conventional.
As a business, we want everyone to feel comfortable with change and moving at pace. You’ll be essential to ensuring this is the culture felt and truly adopted throughout our technical teams at Prolific. The role of Chief Technology Officer is one of the most critical members of the Prolific team, and will help set the direction and execute a growth strategy, to ensure we connect people around the world to make trustworthy data more accessible and facilitate world-changing research, without compromise to data privacy.
What you'll bring:
- A proven, inspiring and motivating leader of people, with experience of coaching and mentoring teams.
- Previous experience scaling productive engineering teams (20->100 people) as VPE/CTO, ideally in a Fintech/Marketplace environment
- An ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment without compromise on quality
- Experienced in creating and implementing a technology roadmap to support the accelerating growth of the business
- Experienced in driving shipping speed, whilst working with high quality, scalable products
- Ability to conduct complex system and technological root analyses and research to reduce error rates; implementing best practices to reduce future errors and problems
- Background in working with API products and integrations
What We Offer
- Flexible working: You can work flexibly from home or from our dog-friendly co-working space.
- £1000 home office budget and laptop when you start and a £200 yearly top-up budget.
- 33 days holiday per year (25 days + bank holidays, which you can switch with any day of your choosing).
- Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary).
- Comprehensive private health insurance that disregards medical history.
- Taxable stipend of £150 a month per person for wellness and improving your remote experience (co-working subscription, gym membership, lunches, etc.)
- £1000 yearly budget for education, growth, and training.
- £1000 yearly budget on discretionary meet-ups (travel, hotel, food, etc.)
- Fun and collaborative quarterly company-wide meet-ups and team socials paid for by us.
- Personal growth opportunities and career progression (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods).
- Childcare flexibility: Need to pick your child up from school? No problem.
- Generous maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave.
- A company committed to carbon offsetting: we donate money in your name each month to plant trees and we offset travel as an organisation each year.
- Open, transparent, and inclusive culture.