We’re now looking for a Data Scientist (Pricing) to join our Insurance Team.
Founded in 2017 by our CEO, James, and co-founder, Callum, we’re an award-winning technology startup with a mission to offer people a fairer kind of car insurance. With the UK’s first real-time pay-by-mile car insurance policy, we’re bringing the same level of on-demand convenience to car ownership that people now expect from taxis and take-away food.
We’re now looking for a Data Scientist (Pricing) to join our Insurance Team. Working directly with the Head of Insurance, you will be responsible for leading all BAU pricing and underwriting changes; as well as helping to develop the company's internal data science program.
As our pay-by-mile policy was the first of its kind, our policy has proven popular with UK motorists, who voted us Best Car Insurance Provider and Best Insurance App for two years running at the Insurance Choice Awards. Our customer-first approach has also ensured we have a Trustpilot rating of ‘Excellent’. We’ve been covered by the BBC, The Telegraph and TechCrunch, while our pay-by-mile policy has also been featured on TV’s Sky News and The Gadget Show.
You will play an essential part in developing and executing our pricing models and strategy that will support the achievement of our financial plans.
You will develop, evolve and maintain pricing models whilst constantly seeking to drive forward the sophistication of our pricing and pricing capabilities. Liaise with capacity providers to ensure pricing remains as competitive as possible whilst still meeting Loss Ratio targets.
Our success is based on innovation, and we are constantly looking at ways to develop and improve. Within this role a broader understanding of insurance is a plus, as working closely with our Brand & Product team, you’ll have the chance to directly influence our product, bringing fairer car insurance to even more people. You will also lead the development of By Miles driver scoring strategy.
We would love someone with the following skills and experience to join our team:
Skills and attitude:
Strong experience in a technical pricing role, within a UK motor insurance pricing team, ideally at a large personal lines insurer, that has included:
- Managing the execution of pricing strategy, to support financial goals
- Developing pricing models through evolving pricing and pricing capabilities
- Working with external capacity providers to ensure pricing remains as competitive as possible whilst still meeting Loss Ratio targets
- Leading the development of driver scoring strategy
- Working with senior management, other internal teams and external stakeholders
- Proven experience in working with senior management, other internal teams, and external stakeholders
We’d like to meet someone with:
- Advanced Excel and VBA skills
- Knowledge of machine learning and data science techniques
- A curious mindset and actively values learning and experimenting
- The ability to understand things quickly, whilst maintaining a high attention to detail and accuracy
- Actively enjoys collaborating with others, both internally and externally
- Strong problem solving mindset and ability to make decisions based on limited data or information
And if you have some of the below, it's an added bonus, but not essential!
- Experience in working with telematics pricing
- Knowledge of SQL & Python/R
But it’s not all about us...
It’s just as much about you. We’re an ambitious, energetic bunch and we have our sights set on great things this year, and we’re ready to grow. We recognise the value our people bring, with their inquisitive minds, bright ideas and fantastic attitudes, and we aim to give as much as we receive. It’s only fair.
- 26 days holiday + 8 bank holidays.
- Fully Hybrid Working - We will never force you to work from a location that doesn’t work for you, and we are committed to finding new ways of collaborating that make distributed working, work.
- Verified by flexa as a truly flexible employer.
- Allowance to get your work-from-anywhere set up, set up.
- Opportunities for part-time and flexible working - we are always open to discussing this, so please let us know if this might be right for you.
- Clean, bright, spacious office in Hammersmith
- Monthly one-to-one coaching sessions with our in-house coach Helen McMillan.
- Access to on-demand mental health support through Spill.
- Fully Flexible Benefits through our partner Thanks Ben, choose the benefits that matter most to you from Health Insurance, Pension Tops Ups, Learning & Development top-ups, or turn anything else into a benefit with your Thanks Ben Card.
- Real Living Wage for new parents, regardless of gender, or amount of time taken with your new addition to the family.
- Compassionate leave, Parental Bereavement Leave - When the worst happens, we want you to take the time you need without worrying about money or work.
- Sabbaticals - When you’ve been with us for 3 years you can take a paid sabbatical to rest, recharge, travel, learn a new skill, anything you want!
- Regular Socials - both Virtual and In-person.
- Cycle to work scheme.
Salary : £50,000 - £60,000 dependent on experience
Location: London, with flexible or UK Hybrid working options.
Our customers come from all walks of life, and so do we. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics or disability.