1-2 days per week at home
A little flex time
Life at Elvie - Meaningful work. Exceptional people
We develop extraordinary and smart technologies designed to improve the lives of women. It's a fascinating and challenging area that requires us to solve the problems that no one else has ever tackled before.
Our first product, Elvie Trainer, is an award-winning app-connected trainer that helps women strengthen their pelvic floor muscle via fun, five-minute workouts. It took the wellness industry by storm and is now available via the NHS Supply Chain. Our street cred is backed up by more than 12 awards for innovation and design, including the prestigious Red Dot Award and an IDA Design Award.
Our second innovation: Elvie Pump, the world’s first silent hands-free, wearable breast pump, has received international praise, including being listed as one of the Times 100 best inventions in 2019 and ‘wearable design of the year’ at the Dezeen Awards.
Our 3rd & 4th innovation: Elvie Catch and Elvie Curve launched on 7th October 2020. Elvie Curve uses natural suction to gently express milk during let-down while feeding or pumping from the other breast. It is small, compact, and securely worn in-bra. Elvie Catch, "Stops your leaks, not your day" is a set of two breast milk collection cups with slip-proof silicone skirts designed for total comfort and confidence. Discreet and fuss-free.
Elvie has received more than 30 awards, including being named one of 15 startups “To Watch” by The Sunday Times and ranked as the 6th fastest growing business in the UK by SyndicateRoom in 2019. Tania Boler has recently been rated as the 8th most influential person shaping british technology in 2019 by Business Insider and both products have been featured in the Oscar Nominee Gift Bags. In April 2019, Elvie announced a $42 million Series B, the largest ever fundraise in Femtech.
What does it mean to work at Elvie?
You will be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them. People who are passionate about our mission. People who are driven to solve tough problems and constantly consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of women.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive:
- We make an impact - we are mission driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems
- We are fearless innovators - we are passionate, curious and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation
- We are in it together - we fail and learn fast, always as one team, and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences
What you'll be doing in this role
This is a new and exciting opportunity to join us as Legal Counsel for Operations. You will be the primary legal support to our operations team (covering supply chain, procurement, IT, facilities and customer care), and our data protection SME for all business areas.
Reporting to the Head of Legal, you will be the third hire into our growing legal team. This is a broad role, providing strategic legal advice on a wide variety of projects and challenges facing Elvie across all its countries of operation. You will be actively encouraged to partner closely with the business and add value while facilitating Elvie’s rapid growth and expansion. This is a highly visible and exciting role, offering exposure to all levels across the business, including C-suite. This is a great opportunity to make the role your own and work on exciting projects in a fast-paced, creative and fun environment.
- Negotiating high value and complex commercial agreements across our international supply chain including manufacturing, component sourcing, warehousing, and logistics;
- Providing legal advice on trade compliance and the cross border movement of goods.
- Supporting the operations and procurement team with vendor management (contract amendments, tenders etc);
- Negotiating and advising on property agreements, IT and systems procurement and other outsourced services;
- Supporting general queries from our customer care team
- Data protection:
- Partner closely with the CTO and Head of Security to develop and deliver Elvie’s data protection strategy in line with evolving international legal requirements.
- Design and roll out initiatives to address requirements and mitigate risks relating to GDPR, CCPA and other privacy legislation; such as data storage and transfers, DSARs, privacy and data protection policies, cookie management, customer consent, incident response and similar issues.
- Provide pragmatic advice to the data analytics team, product engineers and software developers (in connection with wearable devices), marketing, HR and other teams in respect of data privacy and consent matters.
- Draft, negotiate and advise on data protection-related documentation, including data processor agreements, data transfer agreements, privacy impact assessments and data-related clauses in commercial contracts.
- International markets: As a global role, you will act as legal adviser to our international teams based in the US and China, as well as our UK based teams
- Strategic projects: Acting as a business partner to help structure and provide legal advice on new strategic initiatives launched by the company from time to time
- Ad-hoc Advice: As part of a small legal team you will also provide legal support on a wider variety of corporate/commercial matters as required (e.g. advertising/marketing/consumer, litigation/disputes, retail/distribution agreements, technology, corporate and company secretarial matters).
- External counsel: Hiring and managing external counsel where appropriate and managing legal budgets relating to your areas of responsibility
- Legal Processes: Creating and improving legal processes, including developing contract templates, standard forms and legal issue checklists, and designing and implementing appropriate systems for the review, execution and management of contracts
- Training: Preparing and conducting legal education and training for different teams across the business, particularly on data compliance.
- 4-6 PQE qualified lawyer in England & Wales (PQE is a guide only).
- A strong background in negotiating high-value complex commercial contracts
- Working knowledge of core international data protection laws (GDPR/CCPA)
- Experience in the US is a strong plus
- Trained and PQE experience in the commercial dept of a top-tier private practice firm, and ideally also had in-house experience (preferably in a start-up, tech, e-commerce and/or FMCG/consumer electronics business)
- Ability to work autonomously with little supervision, and deliver commercial/pragmatic solutions and concise advice
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills
- Excellent organisation and attention to detail, with the ability to juggle and prioritise a large number of competing matters and work to deadlines
- Self-motivated, independent and results-focused; with a willingness to roll up your sleeves, undertake a wide variety of tasks and to take ownership
- Adaptable and able to cope with change quickly
Most importantly, you must be keen to support the Elvie mission, and like the idea of working in a fast-paced start-up environment where you can share your future and be excited about what’s around the corner for us.
Location: we're flexible as long as you're happy to come into either our Bristol or London office a few days a week.
We're on an exceptional journey, and can offer you a truly purpose led career, with a culture built on trust, autonomy and flexibility. In addition, we'll give you:
- Lots of flexibility – whether it’s working from home, doing the school run or life admin we understand that flexibility is essential and we trust you to do the right thing for you and us
- Share options - we want everyone to have a stake in our success
- An annual discretionary bonus scheme
- 33 days annual leave (inc bank holidays), plus additional days to get married or move house
- £100 contribution to your home working set up, to spend as you see fit
- An annual personal development allowance of £150 & unlimited access to our learning & development platform, Learnably
- Great parental leave policies, including paid emergency childcare
- Healthcare plans, life insurance and an employee assistance programme for you and your family
- A free Elvie trainer for you to keep or give away when you join
- Generous employee / friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Wellbeing support from YuLife & access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year
- Lovely offices in great locations, with drinks and snacks provided, along with fun social events (when we're able to again!)
Belonging at Elvie
At Elvie, we believe having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age.
If you need any support with your application, please get in contact with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0203 745 5201.