Crowdcube are going through an exciting growth period and are looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer with exceptional technical and leadership skills to have a lasting impact on one of the UK's leading fintech startups. This role is ideally based in their Cardiff office, but could also be remote within the UK.
Who we are:
As a leading equity crowdfunding platform, Crowdcube raises finance for Europe's hottest high-growth businesses by giving investors the opportunity to back businesses they believe in. Having amassed an investor community of over 1 million people, which have funded over 1,000 businesses, Crowdcube was named the most active investor in private equity in 2020.
Crowdcube was inspired by an unshakable belief in entrepreneurs that dream big, push at the edges and want to make a difference. Our mission is to make funding accessible for everyone, helping to fuel the next generation of business who want to leave a mark on the world.
Since founding in 2011, we’ve successfully funded over 1,000 crowdfunding campaigns with brands from across the globe, such as Monzo, Brewdog, Grind and what3words.
What we stand for:
We believe in a culture of curiosity. We love new thinking and big ideas that challenge the status quo. We know success is rarely free; it’s hard-fought and a struggle that often requires grit, tenacity and hard work. We value the power of people and know that we’re stronger together. We adore ambition, whatever it may be, to make a difference, to have an impact.
We’re on the hunt for talented individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit. Are you with us?
What you will be doing:
Our aim as a company is to continue building our product and expand our share of the equity fundraising market. In engineering, we're building a secure, scalable and robust system that powers one of the world’s largest equity crowdfunding platforms, so reliability is crucial. You will be joining our DevOps team with the aim of continuously improving our platform and coaching and enabling the rest of the engineering team to deliver and monitor releases.
Our engineers work in small product focused feature teams where collaboration is key. Our platform is primarily PHP/Nginx/MySQL but we are advocates of using the right tools for the job. We also run React/TypeScript and other technologies depending on the problem we want to solve.
We hire for good judgement and trust you to contribute to discussions and decisions that determine what is being built and how.
- Lead architectural discussions to ensure solutions are highly automated, scalable, secure and reliable
- We run on AWS hence with a focus on continuous deployment, and frequently evaluate our use of tools and partners
- Develop automation tools and frameworks to manage cloud deployment & configuration across production, staging, and dev/test environment servers
- Working with 3rd parties (including AWS) to drive and showcase best practice
- Troubleshoot and determine root cause failures and manage incident, problem and service issues
- Recommend best practice across the team for scalable release management and monitoring
Ideally you will:
Be an experienced and ambitious senior engineer who wants to create scalable and robust infrastructure. Deep expertise with AWS technologies and a focus on high levels of automation is a must. Experience of the following and the ability to learn quickly is important to enable us to take our platform to the next phase of growth:
- Configuration management tools (Ansible, Terraform, Packer)
- Experience with containerization in Docker and orchestration with Kubernetes
- Experience in maintaining multiple environments (dev, prod, stage etc)
- Strong experience in implementing CI / CD pipelines across multiple feature teams
- Experience and insights into alerting/monitoring tools
- Running databases such as MySQL, Redis and Elasticsearch
And you are:
- An excellent communicator, who actively listens and shows empathy, with an ability to influence both technical and non-technical audiences
- Open-minded and comfortable questioning the status quo, coming up with new solutions and considerate of others'
- Enthusiastic and positive, with a bias to action
- A team player! We're all in this together so be supportive and understanding
- Willing and able to take leadership and mentor/lead more junior DevOps engineers if required
What we are offering:
We like to nurture talent and ensure members of our team develop and hone their skills through training, attending conferences, subscriptions to online courses. We’re passionate and hard-working, and we take care of our team:
- £50-70K DOE
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays + holiday for tenure
- Pension Scheme at 4% matched
- Private Medical Scheme with AXA including dental and optical cashplans
- Life Assurance Scheme
- Access to Sunlight - a learning & development platform with a £1000 training and wellness budget per year
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Weekly demos to show what we're working on, monthly team meetings and regular company socials.
- Company perks such as fruit, snacks, fitness classes and weekly office beers
- Company outings and activities (previous fun included a trip to a gin distillery, karaoke, charity football match, Square Mile Relay, bowling and a day at River Cottage)
Our interview process typically consists of an initial phone screen, an interview with the hiring manager, followed by a final interview with other members of the team. There aren't any trick questions.
Our policy is to employ the best-qualified people and provide equal opportunity for the advancement of employees including promotion and training and not to discriminate against any person because of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or disability.