1–2 days/week at home
A little flex time
Who are we?
Our team is the first in the world to use autonomous vehicles on public roads using end-to-end deep learning. With our multi-national, world-class technical team, we’re building things differently.
We don’t think it’s scalable to tell an algorithm how to drive through hand-coded rules and expensive HD maps. Instead, we believe that using experience and data will allow our algorithms to be more intelligent: capable of easily adapting to new environments.
Our aim is to be the future of self-driving cars: the first to deploy in 100 cities across the world bringing autonomy to everyone, everywhere.
The impact you will have
Wayve is looking for its first Legal Counsel, reporting to the Head of Legal.
We are looking for a Legal Counsel who is experienced in working with AI-related issues, specifically around IP and data rights, and commercial experience within the automotive sector would be highly beneficial (although not essential).
This role will be supporting the Head of Legal with a wide range of legal matters, including:
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a wide range of commercial contracts, including licensing, development, supplier, collaboration, and services agreements, with a particular focus on technology (both software and hardware)
- Advising on data protection compliance
- Advising on open source licensing
- Drafting and maintaining precedents
- Providing relevant regulatory advice and support
- Designing and implementing policies and procedures
- Managing external counsel
- Cross-functional collaboration and training
- Risk and compliance support
In addition, experience in one or more of the following areas will be a massive plus:
- Contentious and non-contentious employment/HR legal support, including employment claims, investigations, HR policy advice
- Corporate and M&A
- Intellectual property rights management and protection, including trade marks, trade secrets and patents
What you’ll bring to Wayve
Given the small size of the team, you will be expected to run your own matters with minimal supervision, and we are therefore looking for a conscientious self-starter who is used to managing competing objectives under pressure. Previous in-house experience would be beneficial, but is not essential.
- 3-5 PQE, qualified in England and Wales
- Strong technical, drafting, research, and negotiation skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to explain complex matters in clear, accessible language
- Strong commercial/business acumen and judgement to allow effective evaluation of legal risk in the context of the wider commercial strategy
- Ability to work autonomously, take initiative and be proactive in addressing new matters or challenges
- Well-developed prioritisation skills and ability to deal with multiple projects and internal clients
- Willingness to get stuck in and work hard to help develop the legal team and support the business as it scales
- Good sense of humour and the ability to collaborate with colleagues across teams and jurisdictions
This is an exciting opportunity to work at the forefront of emerging technology and shape the future of transportation. If you have a passion for technology and the law and are looking for a challenging and rewarding career in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, we would love to hear from you.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation with salary and equity
- Immersion in a team of world-class researchers, engineers and entrepreneurs
- A unique position to shape the future of autonomy and tackle one of the biggest challenges of our time
- Bespoke learning and development opportunities
- Flexible working hours - we trust you to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team
- Private onsite chef, in-house bar, lots of socials, and more!
Wayve is built by people from all walks of life. We believe that it is our differences that make us stronger, and our unique perspectives and backgrounds that allow us to build something different. We are proud to be an equal opportunities workplace, where we don’t just embrace diversity but nurture it - so that we all thrive and grow.
We asked employees of Wayve how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Wayve
London, UK and Mountain View, California
What employees are saying
"I have never worked at a company where I felt so supported in structuring my work day (working hours as well as working locations) in exactly the way which works best for me and maximizes my productivity. The more flexibility and trust I am given, the better I feel like my output is as it feels more like working because I genuinely want to work and produce good results instead of working because I have to. I also love how much Wayve cares about work-life balance, as it is a very crucial aspect of my job for me. For me, Wayve has created an amazing work environment which makes me feel encouraged and supported in really striving to do my best work while establishing healthy work life boundaries."