3–4 days/week at home
A little flex time
Location - Hybrid working with occasional travel to London, Hammersmith.
About the Role
We're searching for a talented Technical Lead for VMO2’s Digital Experimentation Lab that we are creating in the UK. The “App Lab” by VMO2 is an innovative and fast-paced product experimentation capability. The objective of the role is to maximize the delivered results from every single experiment with the mission to build the products of tomorrow - accelerating product innovation and development cycles, digital transformation, and disruption of VMO2, and the telecom industry in general
The experiments will be aiming to build products and services for a vast array of customer segments across various demographic and behaviour groups
As the Technical Lead, you will be responsible for technology planning and delivery of experiments, aligning with stakeholders, managing backlog and dependencies, daily workflow, and team Kanban. You will work closely with product designers, developers, and business representatives. The role requires good coordination and adaptability, as well as a lean mindset.
Tell me more, tell me more:
We are looking for a team player, someone who is used to working with multi-disciplinary teams and can come up quickly with practical, feasible yet creative solutions.
As the Technical Lead, you will be responsible for managing the product’s backlog, planning iterations that will test business hypotheses and following up on the results of each test, mapping dependencies to deliver and mapping/defining business rules.
We believe the successful candidate has experience working with digital products. The candidate would hopefully have a deep understanding of product discovery, lean development, and research techniques. The ability to find the minimum piece/part necessary to start obtaining learnings is key to the role.
• Strong Technical skills: Full stack experience, comfortable leading a tech team made up of both internal resource & contractors. Experience working in cloud based environments (AWS or GCP) as well as knowledge of containerisation technologies such as Docker & Kubernetes and DevOps practices
• An MVP mind set, App Lab moves at pace and often compromises need to be made between ideal architecture and rapid roll out
• Rational, logical & proactive approach to technical challenges
• Able to work collaboratively across a diverse team and propose solutions to drive outcomes
• No ego, highly inquisitive and keen to learn while passing on knowledge to more junior members of the team
Nice to haves:
• A mix of start-up & corporate experience, involved in both new product development as well as digital transformation
• Clear, concise communication skills in order to tailor the message appropriate depending on the audience (both diving deep with other members of the engineering team as well as ability to explain complex topics & decisions to a non-technical audience)
• Project Management skills across the standard digital product processes (active input in sessions relating to daily updates, backlog refinement, feature sizing etc) as well as experience with agile methodologies
• Problem solving skills – ability to identify and solve technical problems both independently & collaboratively
What’s in it for you?
We know that benefits mean so much more than the 'stuff' we can give you, so we offer a wide range of support, rewards and tools - all focused on helping you to prioritise what really matters.
All work and no play just isn't our style! We're already planning our future ways of working, for when life becomes a little more normal again. We're constantly evolving our approach to enable you to find a great work life balance.
If you go on to be successful in your application, some of the many benefits include:
• 25 days' annual leave, plus UK bank holidays.
• A defined contribution pension scheme, run by Fidelity, matched up to 10%.
• An annual bonus based on company performance
• Access to wellbeing benefits such as the Unmind App, personal medical cover (which you can opt to upgrade to cover loved ones) and critical illness cover.
• Your birthday off every year, to treat yourself.
• The option to buy and sell up to 5 days leave, to suit your personal need.
If you think you've got some amazing skills to offer us, and Virgin Media feels like a place where you can belong, we'd love to learn more about you. Once you've submitted an application the next steps of the process, if successful, are likely to include a two stage process, starting with an introductory conversation from our Head of Digital Strategy and communication from the recruiter - Samantha Lee.
When you apply, you'll be asked about any adjustments you might need to support the recruitment process. Let us know, and we'll be sure to discuss it with you.
Thanks for your patience in the meantime and for showing an interest in joining the Virgin Media family.
We asked employees of Virgin Media O2 - Digital how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Virgin Media O2 - Digital
Gender diversity (male:female)
Flexible; Primary Locations Hammersmith & Reading
What employees are saying
We have a very flexible working environment, including working from home as required and flexibility on hours worked. The flexibility means I can work around family commitments and I'm trusted to flex my hours up and down to get the job done. This is really valuable for me.
Virgin Media O2 - Digital Employee