Unmind is a workplace mental health platform. We empower employees to live more fulfilling and balanced lives by changing the way organisations around the world think about mental health. We believe that everyone has the right to a healthy mind – because we all have mental health, all of the time – and we’re striving to create a world where mental health is universally understood, nurtured, and celebrated.
Having closed our Series B funding in April 2021, and looking ahead to our Series C, we're excited about the next stage of growth which will enable us to deliver on our mission to improve the mental wellbeing of ten million people in organisations around the world. We’re a fast-growing team with over 190 Unminders across London, Sydney and New York and would love for you to join us as our new Engineering Manager**.**
Uniting Behind Uniqueness
At Unmind we believe in “Uniting Behind Uniqueness” based on the belief that humans are endlessly unique and their opportunities are equally important. In order to fulfil our mission, we want our team to represent the diversity of our users which is why we’re committed to building an inclusive workplace where we encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work. We want to foster a culture where everybody feels included, heard, and equal – regardless of age, disability, gender, neurodiversity, marital or parental status, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
If there are any adjustments we can make that would help improve your experience with Unmind, please do let us know when you apply or email us at email@example.com.
The Role – Engineering Manager
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to drive high performance and impact in our Software Engineers and the Product Teams they work in. You’ll support ~8 to 10 Engineers in their personal career development and professional growth, helping them to stay happy, motivated and engaged at work. You’ll also get oversight and involvement in technology and delivery within Product teams, making judgement calls on when to step in to support or escalate, and to ensure consistency and self-sufficiency across our Product teams.
In this role, you’ll get to:
- Driving Engineer performance and impact
- Coach Senior Engineers to improve their technical leadership skills
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives and Strategy as a member of Unmind’s Engineering management team
- Have an oversight and understanding of delivery and technical decisions, with a focus on coaching and facilitating teams to become self-sufficient
- Enabling healthy team processes and performance, so that we deliver our Engineering Strategy and Product goals at pace
Skills and Experience
We encourage you to remove education from your CV upon application as qualifications are not a driving factor in our decision making and we are committed to tackling educational inequality. We firmly believe that no one is the finished article and that there should be learning in every role you do. However, some experience in the following is important for this position:
- Highly organised and collaborative, with excellent communication skills and the ability to work with multiple teams
- Experience in managing and coaching software engineers
- Ability to understand your sphere of influence and how to leverage it to drive high performance to achieve our business goals
- Solid experience of understanding and implementing effective agile ways of working
- Ability to recognise when to step in and when to give space, able to empower and delegate
- Passionate about mental health, tech-for-good, and generally improving people’s lives
- Comfortable working in an environment of rapid growth, constant change, and lots of unknowns
- Hungry to make Unmind the global category leader of workplace mental health
At Unmind we believe in having a whole person approach and we hope that our benefits enhance the lives of Unminders, helping them be happy, healthy and fulfilled. You can see the full details of our benefits on our careers page, but they include:
- Private Medical Insurance for you and your family
- Unmind Equity scheme
- Access to Bippit - a Financial Wellbeing platform
- 25 days annual leave plus your birthday day off and celebration days
- Flexible working, including flexible use of Public Holidays
- Summer Fridays
- £1,000 annual learning budget with 2 days learning leave
- Monthly ClassPass Subscription
- Dog-friendly workplace
We believe our interview process should be inclusive and transparent. Find out what to expect and more about our commitment to diversity on our candidate FAQs page here: tinyurl.com/bd8xsnrj
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Unmind provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Unmind is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Unmind
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, New York, Sydney
What employees are saying
"I love working here. I've worked in other companies that say they have a flexible working culture, but the reality doesn't match. At Unmind, I've felt trusted and empowered since day one to work the way that is right for me."
Anonymous Employee at Unmind