London / Fully Remote (UK), £55,000 - £65,000 Per Annum, Permanent
Unibuddy has experienced explosive growth since launching in 2017. We now work with 500 higher ed institutions in 35 countries worldwide. We’ve raised over $33M from top-tier investors, and we’re on course to achieve our ambitious goal of empowering 10 million students to make the right choices in their higher ed journey.
Here’s where you come in
Technology is at the core of what we do. As a Software Engineer at Unibuddy, you will be engaged in every aspect of building market-leading tech products used by universities and students. You will participate in the ideation, conceptualization, and building of these products.
As part of a rapidly growing company, you will gain exposure to all areas of the business, understand the key success drivers at a high-growth company, and gain invaluable experience. Success in this role will lead to opportunities for growth across the entire engineering team with significant scope for future development.
- Collaborating with your squad, designers, product owners, and engineers to define the future of the product.
- Refine ideas and designs with your squad until they are ready to be picked up for development.
- Improve our product suite by developing new features or fixing existing issues.
- Optimising existing code, process, infrastructure and continuous integration
- Push amazing code to production!
This might be for you if…
- You have a passion for solving real-world problems.
- You have 3+ years experience as an engineer and are looking to take your career to the next level.
- Have experience developing backend code in common frameworks such as Flask, Express.
- Have knowledge of static typings (eg: typescript).
- You enjoy building responsive and accessible React Applications.
- Are eager to learn new technologies and best practices, as well as to share anything new you learn within the squad or wider tech team.
We know that typically females and underrepresented groups only apply to jobs if they see themselves ticking every box. We believe we’re more than boxes to tick. If you don't meet all the requirements but think you might still be right for the role or others, please apply anyway. We're always keen to speak to people who connect with our mission and values.
About our Team
As an engineering team, we are dedicated, hardworking, and always looking to learn and improve our craft. This happens in regular knowledge-sharing sessions with our product, data and platform squads. Our team is super collaborative and has complete ownership over products.
In our work, we use industry best practices like TDD, CI/CD, and code reviews as part of building every feature. We also continually evaluate new technologies to see if they can help improve our platform. There's real opportunities to learn and develop through experimenting with new technologies in our very modern tech stack.
You can check out the technologies that we work with here: https://stackshare.io/unibuddy/unibuddy-platform
Perks and Benefits
- Fully remote UK or you can come to our London office as often as you like.
- Stock options
- Personal development budget of £800 per year
- 25 days annual leave plus 4 days Christmas closure plus bank holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Health Insurance from Bupa and mental health support from Spill
- Family friendly policy. Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- 2 weeks personal project time each year and 1 learning day a month
- A new MacBook Pro and additional monitor(s)
Who we are
If you’ve made it this far you probably already know a bit about us but here’s a reminder of what makes Unibuddy a great place to work!
Students are at the heart of what we do. Our mission is to empower students to make the right decisions throughout their higher education journey. We provide higher ed institutions with the right tools to enable students to connect with each other, share experiences that create a sense of belonging, and feel confident in making one of the most crucial decisions of their life
We rock! Our customers love us. We’re available worldwide, own 95% of the UK market, and work with more than 500 higher ed institutions in 35 countries. It’s our people that make us successful, We’re a great bunch with a fantastic culture. But don’t take our word for it - we’re proud to be named as one of the best mid-sized companies to work for in the US, we are named as one of the top 100 workplaces for benefits, we’re Flexified and listed as one of the top three most flexible companies to work for in the UK.
Ready to apply?
Great! Please send a CV and supporting statement which outlines why you would like to work with Unibuddy, and why you think you are well suited to this role. We encourage you to send us something that showcases your skills, a link to your GitHub or Stack Overflow is encouraged. Flaunt your skills!
Not ready to apply or have some questions? Then please get in touch at email@example.com
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Unibuddy provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Unibuddy is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Unibuddy
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, New York, Bangalore, Toronto