Who we are:
At TrueLayer, we’re creating a payments network that better connects banks, businesses and everybody. And we’re going big. We’re taking on cards with a payment method that’s actually designed for the online, on-demand world we live in. Removing friction from the most crucial part of commerce: the payment.
To date, we’ve raised $270 million from world-renowned investors including Stripe, Tiger Global, Addition and Tencent. We’ve got offices in London, Milan and Dublin. And we’re trusted by industry leaders like Revolut, Coinbase and Nutmeg… though we’re not stopping here.
We’re on a mission to change the way the world pays, invests, shops and saves. To transform how people approach payments. To build a brand that redefines an entire industry — and we’d like your help to get us there. So what do you say?
TrueLayer Client Operations team are part of the engine which supports our client either pre or post-sign-up. This team has several functionalities from day-to-day Client Care to Technical Support but also Due Diligence/KYC onboarding reviews and AML investigations. Our Client Operations team have a full view of the customer journey influencing it at every step by ensuring our clients have a smooth experience using our platform from the very first time to business as usual.
This is an exciting opportunity for a KYC Specialist to join Truelayer in developing the financial crime element of the client onboarding process.
The KYC Specialist will play an integral role to maintain our first line of defence against money laundering and financial terrorism. This position is focused on protecting TrueLayer from financial crime exposure but also supporting the rapid growth of our business.
As the KYC Specialist, you will sit within client-facing teams enabling you to gain insight into our customer base and the products available to them. We are looking for a Due Diligence and KYC subject matter expert who is well-versed in financial crime, specifically KYC, due diligence processes and practices. You will be responsible for conducting KYC and KYB checks for TrueLayer's customers and assessing the financial crime risks involved in entering and maintaining business relationships. You will have a good understanding of different levels of CDD and when to escalate higher-risk customers/entities. We are looking for someone who is prepared to challenge insufficient evidence and who will look for continuous improvement opportunities in this area.
You will be supported by your team members and other cross-functional areas to ensure that you have access to information and tools to best develop our financial crime-fighting function!
What we expect from you as a KYC Specialist:
- Conduct KYB and KYC checks on prospective customers.
- Complete Due Diligence on high-risk and complex customer use cases at onboarding to assess and manage the financial crime risks of new business relationships.
- Identify and communicate financial crime risks for prospective customers, ensuring that the customer risk profile falls within TrueLayer’s risk appetite.
- Perform Customer Screening, including PEP, Sanction and adverse media checks.
- Perform on-going monitoring on customers and associated individuals - working PEP and sanctions alerts and ensuring rationale and outcomes are recorded.
- Conduct periodic reviews and event triggered reviews where required.
- Complete peer reviews on onboarding and ongoing DD review cases.
- Conduct agent onboarding and monitoring of agents on an ongoing basis.
- Act as a subject matter expert and escalation point for financial crime issues.
- Contribute to the ongoing improvement of systems and processes.
- Be comfortable working to/ setting KPIs and support in the accurate collation of MI for Senior Management Team/ external reporting.
- Experience conducting due diligence (DD) reviews on corporate customers including conducting KYC checks, customer screening (PEP and sanctions checks) and assessing financial crime risks.
- Experience dealing with complex business models and a range of different business customer types.
- Good working knowledge of Financial Crime risks, AML controls and KYC/CDD best practices.
- Ability to act as an SME for 1LOD DD, supporting other business areas with financial crime matters.
- Comfortable working with other functions and questioning or escalating, where appropriate.
- Attention to detail, with an interest in learning and engaging with others.
- Experience in optimising due diligence processes and procedures.
We would be particularly excited if you have:
- Experience onboarding eCommerce merchants, iGaming/gambling and/or cryptocurrency businesses preferable.
- Experience in Finance, a Financial Technology company or a Technology company;
- Experience in a progressive and innovative technology startup.
- Experience in working with various KYC and authentication software providers.
Don’t meet all the requirements?
Multiple studies have shown that women and people of underrepresented groups are sometimes less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single requirement. At Truelayer, we are committed to building a diverse workforce, so if you are excited about this role and have the essential skills, but not the entire checklist - we’d still love to hear from you!
What you can expect from us:
- Meaningful equity in the company 💰
- Flexible hours and hybrid working — work from home 🏡and our incredible offices in London 🇬🇧Milan 🇮🇹 and Dublin 🇮🇪
- Need to collect the kids from childcare? Love a workout in the gym first thing? No worries, we trust you to do your best work within our hybrid framework 🧘
- A one-off remote-working budget to help you set up your home office 💺
- 24 days holiday as standard ✈️ with flexible bank holidays, so you can take those days whenever you like 🌍
- 12 fully-paid wellbeing days a year and your birthday off (on top of the holiday allowance) 🕊️
- 2 volunteering days to support causes important to you
- 90 day ‘work from abroad’ policy 👩💻☀️
- Generous parental leave, above and beyond statutory requirements and with no minimum tenure 👪
- Competitive pension contribution at 4% & 4% 🧓
- Private health insurance from the day you start 🧑⚕️
- Membership of mental wellbeing platform Spill and premium Calm subscription
- A £1000 budget to spend on learning & development each year 📚
- Free lunch from Just Eat 🥙 (If you choose to work from the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays)
At TrueLayer, we don’t just do inclusion and diversity. We embrace people that have different opinions, perspectives and personalities. Because we believe that by seeing the world from all sorts of angles, we can make life better for all the people who live in it. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups (e.g. people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from all socio-economic backgrounds). If you’d like to discuss alternative working patterns, please let us know.
We will always aim to make appropriate adjustments to ensure we are fully inclusive to people with different needs during our interview process. So if you need us to make any adjustments to suit your individual needs please let us know - we’ll be happy to support you.
We asked employees of TrueLayer how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at TrueLayer
Gender diversity (male:female)
UK, Italy, Ireland