**This role can be worked remotely from across the UK, but will require occasional travel to the London office**
The way we commute has changed in recent years and the rail industry is being forced to change with it. Trains and other forms of public transport are the greenest way to get around medium to long distance, but navigating your way around on them isn’t always easy, nor is working out the cheapest or best value way to do it. At SilverRail, we believe there should be a better way to do it and we need a brilliant hybrid UX & UI designer to help us do it.
We are SilverRail, a global tech company working to deliver the digital infrastructure that opens up rail to the world! Our technology is powering rail and travel agencies across Europe, USA and Australia/NZ in both leisure and corporate markets, making it easy for people to choose rail and cut their carbon emissions.
Although we have been around for more than 10 years, and with our teams based globally in London, Boston, Brisbane and Stockholm, we still consider ourselves an agile start-up business. We are using the Scrum framework for all our software development, and we believe in ‘fail-fast-fail-early’ to find innovative solutions to complex problems. Our agility and refreshingly novel approaches mean we have already developed into a force to be reckoned with in the European market, but we have ambitions for so much more! With a raft of new clients joining us, and with our growth about to enter its prime, we aim to become the biggest player in the rail tech space.
This is an exciting opportunity to take a lead role in the creation of a meaningful and impactful consumer facing app from its inception. The app hopes to revolutionise the way users find and book journeys and to take the stress and uncertainty out of commuting.
As the UI & UX Design Lead you’ll take ownership of the end-to-end design of this app. You’ll thrive on solving problems, testing hypothesis and iteratively improving on the product while also creating beautiful UIs based on user and industry requirements. You’ll be able to work autonomously, steering the direction of the product but you’ll also be putting in the hours in Figma, creating beautiful design flows and working with a dedicated team of iOS and Android developers to see your designs come to life. You’ll also be working with 3rd party design teams, brand designers and our marketing department as we get ready for launch.
The team at SilverRail is very collaborative, friendly and improvement oriented. Having fun and feeling like part of a team while at work is a must! We support a flexible home working environment with occasional travel into the London office.
Key responsibilities and authorities
- You will be working on digital travel products with a focus on customer convenience and innovation. You will be required to take ownership of a project and lead its design, as well as helping out with other projects within the company.
- Create intelligent, thought through UX design and stunning visual UI designs that simplify challenging user problems and deliver sleek and enjoyable user experiences
- You will be driving a team of designers through an external agency
- Build, and maintain a new design system and contribute to and help maintain existing ones
- Gathering and evaluating user requirements, in collaboration with researchers, product managers, stake holders and engineers.
- Illustrate ideas using storyboards, user flows and sitemaps and prototypes.
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g. differing native OS behaviours, diverse dynamic content across multiple markets and languages)
- Take feedback onboard, refine designs based on user feedback and analytics
- Reporting directly to the Design Director and the Chief Customer Officer.
Competence and skills
- Ideally 5-10 years' experience as a hybrid UI & UX/product Designer, with an equal balance of beautiful and engaging UI design and thoughtful and considered UX design
- A strong visual portfolio, demonstrating contribution and input to projects and products.
- Familiar with accessibility standards for digital products
- Attention to detail & pixel perfect design, good organisation skills.
- Experience using Figma or similar is essential (As a company we use Figma, so knowledge of other similar software must be immediately transferable)
- Experience designing/building click-through prototypes and setting usability studies/sessions.
- Experience leading teams is preferred, or an interest to do so
- The ability to work autonomously and to meet deadlines.
- The ability to work collaboratively
- Excellent visual, verbal and written communication skills.
- Happy to take input/direction, but also to voice own opinions and contribute own ideas.
- Knowledge or experience of rail travel and/or e-commerce is beneficial but not essential.
- We have an average Glassdoor grade of 4.7 and 100% recommendation rates.
- We are an accredited flexible company and were named in Flexa’s Top 50 Most Flexible Companies
- We utilise a hybrid working model, providing equipment for home working alongside occasional visits to our beautiful central London office.
- We offer a highly competitive benefits package including private healthcare and Perkbox rewards, as well as stock options that give you the chance to buy into SilverRail’s future.
- We provide a wealth of career development opportunities with training that is individual, focused on improving your skills and helping you become the best professional you can be.
- Our team’s health and wellness is genuinely important to us, so we offer a number of wellbeing seminars, yoga classes, and membership to the #1 leading meditation app.
- A unique opportunity to work for a tech start-up that is revolutionising the way we travel.
Our values are simple: Do Good by working for a better tomorrow; Think Big Act Smart by being curious, adaptable and data-driven; and remember that through collaboration we will always be Stronger Together.
We are an equal opportunities and neurodiverse employer. All qualified applicants will be considered regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetics, national origin, disability, age or any other grounds. If there is anything we can do to support your interview or any adjustments you need to help you bring your best self to an interview please let us know
We asked employees of SilverRail Technologies how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at SilverRail Technologies
Gender diversity (male:female:non-binary)
London, Boston, Brisbane, Stockholm