About Signal - Who are we?
We're on a mission to change the way businesses make decisions with our cutting-edge AI technology. To achieve that, we’re looking for passionate people to join our open and unconventional workplace. Our inclusive environment welcomes skills and experiences from diverse backgrounds, and defines who we are.
About the role - what’s your purpose?
Staff Engineers at Signal AI are highly experienced individual leaders and seasoned technical experts whose influence extends beyond their team. They are recognised by their peers as an authority in a domain or technology and other engineers often seek their opinion when facing highly complex problems. They collaborate in parallel across engineering teams and with others in similar roles to help drive initiatives and solutions forward.
Staff Engineers form our senior leadership team within the company and often assume the role of Tech Lead for their team. They can confidently play a significant role in helping Signal AI achieve our business goals. They do this by focusing on high impact, high value work which likely involves our largest and most ambiguous problems, driving discovery work and mobilising their team to deliver.
You’re a technical authority and influence towards effective solutions. Your role is as much about being a force-multiplier for your team as it is about being an individual contributor. You recognise that you can have the most impact by helping your team to do their best work.
Day-to-day responsibilities - What will you be doing?
- Working in a collaborative environment, expecting to be pair programming a high percentage of your time.
- Contributing to the architectural direction of your team.
- You will leads large, strategic, complex engineering projects, often crossing team boundaries and sometimes functional boundaries.
- Align with the product and technical leadership on the mid and long-term technical path and milestones.
- Have a deep understanding of the infrastructure behind services the team builds. Can clearly rationalise choices around deployment technology and scaling requirements.
- Building services that can handle huge volumes of data.
- Adhering and promoting a trunk-based delivery strategy.
- Utilising up to date DevOps practices.
- You love building products as part of a cross-functional team focused on an iterative, outcome-driven approach.
- You believe in collaboration as a way of working and are keen on following our trunk-based development strategy via pair programming.
- You understand the benefits of the DevOps mentality and are comfortable building new solutions while being responsible for the day-to-day operations of existing ones.
- You have experience with large-scale distributed systems that are both resilient and observable.
- You have a self-starter mindset; you proactively identify issues and opportunities and tackle them without being told to do so
- You have strong communication skills and are comfortable expressing your ideas to technical and non-technical audiences.
- You have a positive attitude and are keen to learn new skills while enhancing those you already have.
- A bonus if you have worked with Clojure, Terraform and AWS.
Don’t meet every single requirement listed? Academic research has shown that women or people of other underrepresented groups tend not to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Signal AI, we know that diverse teams perform better so if your experience doesn’t fit perfectly but you’re excited about this role, we’d love for you to apply anyway.
We’re committed to building and fostering an inclusive environment where Signallers feel welcomed, valued and listened to - an environment where they thrive being their true selves.
- Unlimited holiday entitlement;
- Hybrid Working Environment - we have a hybrid remote policy with 2-3 days remote per week, plus Summer & Winter fully remote blocks wherever works for you, including abroad;
- Share options;
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity and Dependents Leave policies;
- Health Cash Plan/ Pension plan / Income Protection / Life Insurance / Access to free therapists via Spill.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Signal AI provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Signal AI is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Signal AI
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, New York, Hong Kong.