3–4 days/week at home
Fully flexible hours
Hello, we’re ScreenCloud.
Founded in 2015 and with 8500+ customers around the globe, ScreenCloud is a scaling cloud-based SaaS company, employing over 100 people across our hubs in Bangkok, Belfast, LA and London.
At ScreenCloud we’re hard at work helping businesses to make stronger connections at scale, and with those who are most important to them; their employees & their customers. By using the screens on their walls & the content in their systems we enable the sales, productivity & engagement that keep our customers’ businesses thriving.
We’re very proud of our product and we’re also incredibly proud of our people. It’s our ‘ScreenClouders’ and the culture they nurture that will take us where other companies just can’t go.
You’ll love working at ScreenCloud if you value transparency (join our monthly All Hands for business updates) flexibility (we’re one of Flexa’s Top Ten most flexible companies to work for) internationality (time zones don’t phase us) and integrity (join us, and you’ll also join our company-wide Share in Success scheme.)
We’re intentionally social. We think that spending time together is important… We think it’s so important that we arrange an annual company retreat, and we call it ScreenCloud Together! Each international hub regularly hosts visits from our teammates in other hubs. We balance regularly working from home with bright, well-designed office spaces - where we can see our own screens at play.
The RoleScreenCloud apps work just like your phone’s apps, but for the TV. We have over 70 apps to date, ranging from Instagram and Facebook, to live streaming, menu boards and calendar apps. As a Staff Engineer you will lead the designing & developing of new apps, and help build new features on current apps (like we recently added touch support to our screens).
You’ll be part of a team wholly responsible for each project it takes on, meaning Product/Design/Dev/QA all in the one team, with full power to shape its project.
You’ll help us drive technical excellence and foster team autonomy when it comes to building and maintaining our modern web apps.
And of course being a product for TV screens, the end result is also a super visual experience that will keep a curious frontend dev engaged for a long while to come! (We’ve recently started to build our own evolving styled component library)
- Hands-on code contributions to new and existing apps across our whole catalogue. Right now, these are all built in React or Next.js, with each then using the tools & techniques that best suit it
- Deliver complex layouts supporting many combinations of content types, media, and screen sizes and take ownership of our internal component-based design system. We primarily use Styled Components (CSS-in-JS) and React
- Become a core member of the Apps group, building tools and best practices to make it easier for developers across the company, and even our customers themselves, to build their own ScreenCloud apps
- Push us to experiment and try new techniques to constantly improve the quality of the apps we build (We’re super interested in bringing more animation to our screens)
- Collaborate with the team lead to manage the development process, establish best practices and dive deep on issues during project delivery
- Collaborate with designers, testers and product owners to ensure the customer experience is perfect
- Get stuck in with us on prototypes, POCs and shaping MVPs to experiment with the constant stream of ideas for where we take digital screens next. Then help get these into the hands of real customers and running in the wild of course, no-one wants a stream of POCs that go nowhere!
- Run your work on a variety of devices, from simple Firesticks through to our own ScreenCloud OS hardware, and from 9 inch iPads up to 65" smart TVs
- You have excellent experience in building modern with CSS that work across a range of screen sizes, producing reusable components and that can be composed into stunning designs
- You work best in small teams and deliver the highest quality code when you’re surrounded by great people. And in return, you share your own learnings with the team to help us always improve
- You enjoy working with designers and product owners to iterate on an idea and ensure the resulting app you build looks amazing
- You can help lead whiteboard sessions to design new solutions, helping teams architect business-critical solutions
- You document your work, ensuring knowledge is readily available for both other members of the team, but equally for new developers who may come across it many months down the line
- You care about performance and making sure your app runs great for a wide range of customers.
- Experience with SVG or WebGL
- Animation experience with libraries like three.js
- End to end testing with tools like Cypress, Playwright or Selenium
- Server-side rendering experience with Next.js, Remix or similar
- APIs built in Node (Serverless, Express, Lambda)
- Working with cloud providers like AWS, Azure or GCP
- Improving build and deploy tooling for reliability and performance.
Interview Process and Experience
Here’s some information about how we recruit at ScreenCloud. We have a commitment to engaging with diverse talent and creating a consistently positive candidate experience; in order to help us achieve these goals we regularly deliver internal interview training. We are also committed to objective assessments and want to provide a realistic preview for each of our roles, so we are likely to ask you to complete a (manageable, not onerous and always hypothetical) task or challenge as part of the process. If you require any reasonable adjustments, please let our friendly recruitment team know. We understand everyone is busy, so we like to streamline our interview processes with a focus on quality over quantity . This means our interview processes will be challenging and enriching, and (unless there is a particular reason for additional conversations), at most you’ll be attending three interviews before we make a decision.
At ScreenCloud our values are core, this means they are the starting point - they underpin everything we do and enable a culture we can be proud of, internally and externally.
Trust & TransparencyTrust underpins high levels of autonomy for every ScreenClouder, we trust your opinion and we encourage you to use your initiative. We are trusted to work flexibly with the freedom to define the best ways to do our best work. We’re trusted to be honest, and in turn are trusted to handle the honest truth. We create transparency with care; our Leadership team is accessible and here for you. We’re on this journey together, and we promise to keep you informed.
Unconventional & Brave One size never fits all and we are not copy-cats. We are happiest when we’re challenging traditional approaches, finding new paths, creating new territory and setting the benchmark. We work hard to nurture an inclusive environment that welcomes new and varying perspectives. We use our judgement and we take risks, because we know that what’s unusual today might be normal tomorrow.
IntegrityWe don’t compromise on integrity. We don’t avoid having real conversations and we won’t lie - to ourselves, to our customers, to our investors… to anybody! We want to build genuine, long-term relationships. We make decisions with the best interests of our colleagues and customers in mind.
Flexibility & Inclusivity
We don't love CVs here at ScreenCloud. We appreciate that your resume isn't an effective representation of you, your experience, your approach, your opinions or your potential. Equally, this job advert can't do justice to what being in this role will feel like on a daily basis.
We encourage you to get in touch, even if you don't think you meet all of the criteria.
And, if you need flexibility, we want to hear from you! If you'd love to find out more about this role, and you need to work ‘unusual’ hours, or you're looking for a part-time contract or have any potential individualised needs, we’re looking for people who can have positive impact… We're always open to talking about how we can enable that to happen.--------
FIND OUT MORE Check out our Bangkok, Belfast, LA and London hub pages.
Click here for some podcasting with our co-founders.
Read our culture blog here.
Get social! Follow us on Linkedin at @ScreenCloud - Digital Signage, and on Instagram at @Lifeatscreencloud
Unlimited annual leaveRemote-friendly workingWorking from home fundFlexible working hoursPension schemeShare in success schemeCycle to work schemeRetail discountsEnhanced parental leavePersonal development fundWestfield Health cash planFree annual flu vaccine
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options ScreenCloud provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure ScreenCloud is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at ScreenCloud
Gender diversity (male:female)
LA, Belfast, London, Bangkok
What employees are saying
"ScreenCloud is genuinely the most flexible place I've ever worked. The priority is and always has been the work, the flexibility is there to enable staff to do their best work. We enjoy each other's company so the hubs are often full, but if I've ever needed time to deal with a personal matter, or work from home to focus, that has never been an issue.
Staff are trusted to make decisions about time management and decide where they need to be and when to tackle work most effectively."
Head of Professional Services at ScreenCloud