RSPB Scotland's Sunart Reserves
We have a fantastic opportunity for someone to join our team as Warden, working at our new Glencripesdale Reserve on the beautiful Morvern peninsula, and our Glenborrodale Reserve, "just across the loch" in equally amazing Ardnamurchan.
Our two reserves are stunning examples of Scotland's Rainforest. They each have their challenges and lots of exciting opportunities.
Our work aims to achieve regenerating native woodlands, free from invasive non-native species, supporting a hugely diverse range of species; from red-listed breeding birds and rare butterflies to internationally important lichens and bryophytes. Places for people to experience the rainforest, and learn about its importance, and the work the RSPB is doing.
What's the role about?
We are looking for an enthusiastic and practical person with land management, survey/monitoring and people skills to play a key role in our Sunart Reserves team.
The successful candidate will be involved in all aspects of managing our two nature reserves. Responsibilities are varied and include habitat management, survey/monitoring a range of species and habitats, infrastructure maintenance, record keeping and report writing, leading volunteer work groups and guided walks.
The RSPB’s work in the area goes beyond our two reserves. You will be part of a much wider vision for landscape-scale rainforest conservation.
We are interested in who you are and what you want to achieve, and we'll provide support for candidates with less experience, but the right mix of talent.
- Be jointly responsible for the implementation of the reserve management plans including habitat management and record keeping to ensure delivery of sites’ and RSPB objectives and compliance obligations.
- Undertake and oversee species/habitat survey and monitoring work on the sites to ensure delivery of sites’ objectives.
- Undertake and oversee the maintenance of the reserve estate (including machinery where relevant) to ensure efficient and safe operation and use to meet the RSPB’s and the sites’ Health & Safety and other obligations.
- Lead volunteer work parties
- Ensure the reserve is managed in accordance with best practise with respect to Health and Safety, environmental management and legal compliance of conservation and land management operations.
- Supervise contractors to carry out work on site safely and legally to deliver the management plan targets.
- Assist in the delivery of visitor services activities to deliver the reserve’s targets.
- Be as capable of hard, physical work in all weather conditions as you are of attending to the detail of accurate report writing.
- Have a full UK driving licence.
What we need from you:
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Understand the ecological & survey requirements of key species and habitats
- A proven track record of conservation land management.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of compliance requirements applying to site management
- Practical estate management and maintenance skills
- Organisational skills, including time management and prioritisation.
- A proactive approach to problem solving.
- Working with staff, volunteers and contractors.
- Individual and team management skills.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- A degree or equivalent qualification/experience in a relevant subject/work area
- Use of machinery and equipment associated with upland habitats
- Lantra or other qualification in first aid, herb/pesticide use, 4WD/ATV use, Chainsaw.
This role will involve lone working and working in remote locations.
This role will require occasional weekend, early morning and evening working
This is a Permanent Full-Time role for 37.5 hours per week.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 11th January 2023.
For further information please contact email@example.com
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills,
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Conservation Scientist (Social Sciences) - (Fixed Term)
- Warden - Eastern Solent Reserves
- Assistant Monitoring Officer (ELP) - (Fixed-Term)
- Organisational Development Adviser - Flexible in UK/Hybrid
- Learning and Development Adviser x2 - Part-Time & Full-Time (Flexible in UK/Hybrid)
- Cairngorms Connect Communications Officer - (Fixed Term)
- Seasonal Assistant Warden - Wallasea Island (Fixed-Term)
- Trapper (Fixed-Term) - Orkney Native Wildlife Project
- Seasonal Field Officer - Plovers in Peril (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Experience Officer (x 4) RSPB Rathlin Island - Northern Ireland
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Assistant Warden x2 (Fixed-Term)
- Assistant Warden x2 - Eastern Solent Reserves
- Communications Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office
- 2 x Part-Time Cleaners - (14.5 hours M to F and 5 hours at weekends)
- Conservation Data Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Systems Engineer
- Seabird & Marine Policy Officer (Senior)
- 5 x Centre Assistants - Bempton Cliffs (6 months Fixed-Term, Variable Hours Avail)
- Project Officer - Species on the Edge - Orkney (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Operations Manager - Devon, Exe Estuary (30 hours p/w)
- Head of Communications & Marketing (Wales - RSPB Cymru - HQ )
- Assistant Warden - North West Norfolk Reserves (Fixed-Term)
- Curlew LIFE Project Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Turtle Dove Conservation Advisor (South-East England)
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager ( x2 roles )
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Humber Beach Nesting Birds Project Officer - Fixed Term
- Assistant Warden Ramsey Island - Wales
- Head of Fundraising Campaign Planning (Flexible in UK - Hybrid-WFH)
- Board Administration Coordinator - Flexible in England (WFH Option)
- Direct Marketing Manager - (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Programme Manager - Membership Recruitment and Retention (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Membership Marketing and Retention Manager (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Project Coordinator - Eurasian Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Food and Beverage Supervisor
- Administrator - RSPB Geltsdale Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Junior Interaction Developer
- Junior Developer - Flexible in UK
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Endangered Landscapes Programme Manager - Cumbria (Fixed-Term)
- Community Connections and Volunteer Manager - Lough Erne Landscape Partnership (HYBRID-WFH)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)