Visitor Experience Assistant
We are looking for a Visitor Experience Assistant to ensure that every one of our visitors to our Newport Wetlands reserve has a high-quality visitor experience. Working with a team, you will ensure our visitors are warmly welcomed, enthused about the resident wildlife, and ultimately encouraged to support the work of the RSPB through membership.
Newport Wetlands is a special area for wildlife, lying between the Severn estuary and the river Usk. It is one of the most important wetland habitat areas in Wales, providing a haven for wildlife on the city's edge. Specialist wetland birds such as bearded tits, little egrets, and the elusive bittern can be found here year-round. In the summer, the reserve is a stronghold for the rare shrill carder bee, and in the autumn, waders and waterfowl appear in large flocks, along with the spectacle of fabulous starlings murmurations.
What is the role about?
We are looking for someone to ensure that every one of our visitors has a high-quality visitor experience where they are warmly welcomed, enthused about the resident wildlife, and ultimately encouraged to support the work of the RSPB through membership. We will be delivering a full event programme and you will assist in providing activities and events in fun an innovative way.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone keen to develop and grow in visitor engagement and events management.
You will be:
- Working with colleagues to ensure the effective, efficient and safe running of the centre, guaranteeing a high quality, on-brand, visitor experience.
- Working with the visitor centre and site management team to achieve financial targets and Key Performance Indicators (KPI) to deliver against our business goals
- Expected to ensure every visitor has positive and memorable contact with staff, whether they are individuals, small groups, large groups, school groups, people with disabilities, families etc,
- Assist with facilitating family activities and events, contributing ideas and suggestions to enhance the visitor experience.
- Ensure the visitor centre and its environs, visitor facilities and equipment are maintained and presented to a high standard.
- Ability to enthuse people to support wildlife and nature with good people engagement and communication skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to plan and prioritise workloads
- Good problem solving skills and be able to work on own initiative
- Ability to manage and respond quickly to customer needs and feedback
- Ability to work as part of a team, to motivate and inspire people
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships
- Ability and willingness to work flexibly including weekends and occasional evenings
This is a Permanent Full-Time role for 37.5 hours per week.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from the 27th of April, 2023. For further information, please get in touch with Kirsty.email@example.com
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship - the successful applicant must have a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK to be offered an employment contract.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world richer in nature, we need more people on nature's side and more diverse people. People of colour and disabled people are underrepresented across the environment, climate, sustainability, and conservation sectors. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
RSPB is very flexible, and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North Oxford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Wirral
- Part Time Food and Beverage Assistant
- Conservation Officer - Indonesia (Fixed-Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Essex
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Barnstaple
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Winchester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Hereford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tewkesbury
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Swindon
- International Bycatch Project Officer
- Part Time Humber Reserves Estate Worker (Fixed Term)
- Project Officer - Lough Erne Landscape Partnership (Fixed Term)
- Species Recovery Officer
- Trainee Stalker - Cairngorms Connect
- Senior Conservation Officer - Yorkshire & Humber (Maternity Cover)
- Campaigns Developer
- Science Finance Officer (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Experience Assistant at RSPB South Stack (Fixed-Term)
- Project Manager - Tir Canol (Maternity Cover)
- Site Manager - North Highland Reserves
- Volunteer Development Officer
- Senior Site Manager - RSPB Geltsdale
- Investigations Liaison Officer (Maternity Cover)
- Senior Developer
- Part-Time Rural Surveyor - Midlands
- Biosecurity Officer - Wales (Fixed Term)
- Senior Site Manager
- Ecologist - Peatland Restoration Programme (Fixed Term)
- Senior Research Assistant - Social Sciences (Fixed Term)
- Senior Legacy Officer
- Assistant Warden
- Visitor Operations Manager (Fixed-Term) - RSPB The Lodge & Fowlmere
- Conservation Advisor - Dartmoor Moorland
- Investigations Officers (1 x Permanent, 1 x Fixed-Term)
- Pennaeth Ymgysylltu - Cymru / Head of Engagement - Wales
- Part-Time Centre Assistants (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Avian Influenza (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time Tree Nursery Assistant
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Part-Time or Full-Time - Land's End
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (22.5 hours and zero hours contracts)