Senior Project Manager (Fixed-Term)
Do you want to deliver landmark, landscape-scale, environmental change? We have an exciting opportunity for a senior project manager to develop an innovative landscape-scale wetland creation project.
What’s the role about?
The RSPB has been awarded funding from DEFRA to develop a Landscape Recovery Scheme in and around Frampton Marsh, Lincolnshire. We, alongside our project partners, will have two years to explore how we can support and fund nature’s recovery across over 1,500 hectares of land.
We are looking for a new, Senior Project Manager for the development phase of this project. If you like variety, then read on! In this role, you’ll find yourself leading and motivating the project team to keep everyone on track, managing contractors and external consultants, liaising with key stakeholders including the project partnership and making sure that the project delivers the best outcome for nature.
You don’t need a wealth of knowledge of birds or wildlife to do this job (we have plenty of people who can help you there!). However, we do need you to be passionate and enthusiastic about doing what you can to help us to tackle the joint climate and nature crises. You’ll be part of our mission to inspire and empower people to help create a world that is richer in nature, where birds and other wildlife are thriving for the benefit of everyone.
This role will have responsibility for line managing the project’s Community Engagement Officer and Administrator.
What we need from you
We need you to be well organised, flexible and adaptable, with excellent communication skills to develop collaborative working relationships with our partners, RSPB teams and external stakeholders. You will need to be able to motivate and inspire others to get things done, whether you are line managing them or not.
You will need to be competent at managing project processes to ensure things go smoothly and risks are managed, and to be solutions-focused to help sort problems if they arise (as rarely projects run smoothly all the time!).
Essential qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience
- Understanding of managing complex projects to a standard project management approach (eg Prince II).
- Time management and organisational skills
- Ability to solve issues quickly, efficiently and creatively, and to manage change .
- Reportwriting and communication skills
- Great interpersonal skills whether 1-2-1, chairing a meeting or presenting to a large audience
- Ability to work under pressure and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Leadership ability, able to lead without line management authority.
- Logical, methodical, analytical and with a good eye for detail.
- Competent IT user (e.g. MS packages, Outlook etc).
- Experience of managing budgets
Desirable qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience
- Project Management Qualification or appropriate training.
- Experience of working with external stakeholders such as agencies and contractors.
- Demonstrable experience of developing and working in partnerships to achieve shared outcomes.
- Line-management experience.
This is a Fixed-Term, Full-Time role for 37.5 hours per week to 31st December 2024. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We will consider flexible working arrangements. The role could be based in our office – a Grade II listed Georgian farmhouse next to RSPB Frampton Marsh, Boston, Lincolnshire - or could be a hybrid working model of office and home-working.
We are looking to hold interviews for this position from 3rd April 2023. For all application/role enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world richer in nature, we need more people, and more diverse people, on nature’s side. People of colour and disabled people are currently underrepresented across the environment, climate, sustainability, and conservation sector. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
The RSPB is a licenced sponsor. This role is eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Assistant Warden - Fixed term
- Part-Time Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Senior Fundraising Officer - Fixed term
- Wildlife Fundraiser - South Essex/North London
- Catering Assistant
- Visitor Experience Assistant
- Senior Project Manager - Curlews in Crisis (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Community Engagement Development Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Development Manager (Fixed-Term)
- Retail Assistant - RSPB Leighton Moss Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Estates Surveyor - Central Scotland
- Community Engagement Officer, Mull of Galloway - fixed term
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Administrator - Frampton Marsh Nature Reserve
- Cafe Worker - Variable Hours
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Frampton Marsh
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Central Kent
- Lead Carbon Data Analyst
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dorset/Somerset
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Gloucester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Salisbury
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Oswestry
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Liverpool
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dundee
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bradford/Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Nottingham/Sherwood Forest
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Derby
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Buxton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Wolverhampton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Birmingham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Carlisle/Penrith Area
- 2 x Seasonal Mountain Ranger - Fixed Term
- Catering Assistant (Part-Time)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Project Manager (Wales)
- Visitor Experience Manager – RSPB Minsmere
- Part Time Community Connector - Fixed term
- Centre Assistant - fixed term
- Kitchen Assistants x2 (Part-Time)
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Fundraising Manager (Maternity Cover)
- Fundraising Officer - Scotland
- Volunteering Development Officer
- Senior Policy Officer - Agriculture
- Seasonal Ranger x 1.5 - (Fixed Term)
- Field Officer - Peatland Restoration
- Assistant Warden, Orkney Reserves
- Head of Safety Management
- Conservation Adviser
- Investigations Intelligence Manager
- PeacePlus Programme Manager - Northern Ireland (Fixed-Term)
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Senior Administrator
- Conservation Officer - East County Down
- Warden - RSPB Ynys-hir
- Field Officer - RSPB Lumbister (Fixed-Term)
- Seabird Assistant (seasonal) Coquet Island (2 posts)
- Loch Ruthven Summer Ranger
- Biodiversity Adviser - RSPB idverde Bromley
- Finance Officer (Part-Time)