This is an exciting year for the RSPB – our new Strategy to 2030 will help us make the contributions necessary to save nature in the next crucial few years.
The Strategy will be delivered through a newly established Portfolio management structure. The Transformation team sits within the Organisation, Workforce and Leadership Portfolio and feeds into the People Delivery Planning Group, which will set the strategic direction and key areas of activity for our work. Together we are focused on bringing to life our organisational aspirations for our people.
As Programme Officer within the Transformation team, you will be working with and reporting directly to the Head of Programme Planning and Reporting. You will be part of a wider, integrated team of programme and project professionals, which includes volunteers.
On a day-to-day basis you will be responsible for:
- Collating data from a range of sources and keeping key documentation up to date. This information will be used to help shape projects and programmes which are currently in delivery and support with the commissioning of new work.
- Providing first line response to queries and questions about the Transformation team and key programmes and projects received from stakeholders and cross organisational activities.
- Working collaboratively with members of the Projects and Programmes team to co-ordinate and collate submission of status reports including key risks and issues, ensuring that deadlines are met including in times of absence.
- To actively take part in the team meetings to highlight issues and/or pinch points in the programme delivery and identify solutions.
- Co-ordinating wider team activities which contribute to the culture of the team. This could include running sessions within team meetings or chairing informal sessions.
- Scheduling meetings with key stakeholders.
- Providing support to the Head of Programme Planning and Reporting in facilitating and administering the People Delivery Planning Group.
- Working directly with our dedicated team of volunteer Project Reviewers, you will support project and programme Managers to co-ordinate reviews.
- Delegating appropriately to administrative function to support the delivery of the Transformation key programmes.
- To take a lead in the management of the programme SharePoint (online document filing platform).
- As we look to meet the future challenge in saving nature, there could be opportunities for you to manage or support discrete areas of activity including projects or change activities.
- Change is a key part of the role so you will be able to manage the effect this has on your day to day tasks and be comfortable with an iterative and agile approach to processes and systems.
What we need from you
- We are looking for a professional and engaging individual with experience working within a changing environment.
- Experience of developing, maintaining and continuously improving documentation and programme level information.
- Experience of managing data and keeping documentation up to date.
- Ability to keep a schedule of programme activities up to date.
- Ability to collate data from different sources to meet deadlines.
- Ability to provide first line response to question/queries.
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Experience of independently managing and prioritising workload making best use of time management skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders, including Senior Leaders.
- Excellent proactive communication skills.
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary or cross functional team.
- Experience of working with volunteers.
- Experience of using Excel, PowerPoint and Visio to bring data entry to life.
- A qualification in programme or project management.
-Change management qualification.
- Experience of working within a Portfolio Management structure
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position in January 2023. Should you have any enquiries about this vacancy, please contact Suzie.Kennedy@RSPB.org.uk
Please note that you will be required to complete an application form where you will have the opportunity to tell us how you meet the criteria set above.
Before applying to this role we would recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of our advert.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Part-Time Catering Assistant
- Visitor Experience Officer at RSPB Pulborough Brooks
- Environmental Advisor
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager
- Café Assistants x2 (Full-Time & Part-Time)
- Community Development Manager
- Estate Worker (Fixed Term)
- Social Media Assistant / Cynorthwyydd Cyfryngau Cymdeithasol
- Conservation Officer - The Wash and North Norfolk Coast
- Estate Worker - Carnforth
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Project Manager - LIFE 100% Favourable (Fixed-Term)
- Bird Surveyor at Powharnal
- Estate Worker
- Rural Surveyor. Flexible Central and Eastern England
- Carbon Farming Project Manager - (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Centre Assistant - Fixed Term
- Legacy Team Executive - RSPB UKHQ - The Lodge
- New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Part-Time - Cleaner
- Part-Time Retail Assistant
- Visitor Experience Manager
- Volunteer Engagement Manager
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Assistant Warden (Seasonal) Anglesey Terns SPA (4 posts)
- Senior Conservation Officer
- Head of Sustainable Land Use Policy - England
- Fundraising Manager - Scotland
- Part Time - Catering Assistant - (Fixed Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistant x 2 (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Curlew Monitoring Officer - (Fixed term)
- Head of Marine Policy
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Curlew Life Research Assistant (Technical) - RSPB Northern Ireland
- New to Nature Placement - Community and Visitor Engagement Assistant - Apply via Survey Monkey Link
- New to Nature Placement - Access to Nature Project Assistant. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Head of Policy & Advocacy - England
- Project Manager - (Frampton Marsh)
- Nature Protection Policy Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Learning Assistant - (Fixed term)
- Curlew LIFE Research Assistant (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bedford Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Luton Area
- Centre Assistant - variable hours - (Fixed Term)
- 2 x Senior Administrator - (Fixed Term)
- Employee Relations Adviser - x3 (Part-Time & Full-Time roles available)
- Research Assistants x2 - Twite Recovery Project
- PT or FT - Senior Project Manager – Nature Positive Biodiversity Gain in Scotland (Fixed Term)
- Assistant Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Telford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Chester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Driffield - Flexible within East Yorks.
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser x2 - RSPB Loch Garten Nature Reserve (Seasonal Contract)
- Curlew Monitoring Officer x 2 – Upper Lough Erne
- Part-Time Car Park Attendant x4 (Fixed-Term)
- Area Manager (East Midlands)
- Education, Families & Youth Officer - Scotland based - Hybrid (Part-Time)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tonbridge Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North London
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Isle of Wight
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Cheltenham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Falmouth
- Test Team Lead
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Flexible in UK
- Beach Nesting Bird Project Officer - (fixed term)
- Learning and Visitor Assistant x2 (Part time & Fixed term - March to October)
- Senior Policy Officer - Bioenergy and BECCS - Fixed Term
- Glenwherry Curlew Initiative Monitoring Officer (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Project Officer - Stone-Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Government Affairs Manager
- Part-Time Learning Assistant (Fixed-Term)
- Catering Assistant - Loch Leven - Variable Hours Available
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)