Part-Time Retail Assistant
Be a part of the retail team at Newport Wetlands, where you can enjoy the beautiful Gwent Levels while sharing your passion for wildlife with our visitors.
The main focus of the Retail Assistant role is to serve customers and ensure they have the best experience possible. You will also help maintain the retail displays, process deliveries, operate the till, and respond to visitor enquiries in a friendly and professional manner.
Working on a nature reserve means there’s always plenty going on and you’ll need to be prepared to deal with almost anything. You will receive full training and support on all aspects of RSPB Retail, which will enable you to drive sales, be a positive role model to the team, and an ambassador for the RSPB.
- Ensuring the retail store is delivering the highest standard of customer care.
- Working with the retail management team to achieve financial targets and Key Performance Indicators to deliver against retail store goals.
- Ensure the retail store is commercially merchandised and stock levels are appropriate.
- Ensuring all retail admin, operating processes, security including cash handling and health and safety in the retail store adheres to RSPB procedures.
The successful candidate will be available to work during the day (no evenings), and weekend and Bank Holiday working will be essential.
Essential knowledge, skills, and experience:
- Computer literate.
- Enthusiastic approach to work.
- Friendly and welcoming to all visitors.
- Ability to work as part of a team, to build and maintain good working relationships.
- Problem solving skills and ability to work on own initiative.
- Experience of working in retail.
- GCSE Maths and English or equivalent.
Desirable knowledge, skills, and experience
- Experience of working in Sales.
- Ability to speak Welsh.
- Merchandising Skills.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety in the Workplace.
- Binocular and Telescope knowledge (however full training will be given).
This is a Permanent, Part-Time role for 15 hours per week. We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 22nd February 2023. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application, you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete a short form. If you wish to provide a cover letter with your application, please include this at the end of your CV document upload.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world richer in nature, we need more people, and more diverse people, on nature’s side. People of colour and disabled people are currently underrepresented across the environment, climate, sustainability, and conservation sector. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship - the successful applicant will need to have a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK in order to be offered an employment contract.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Assistant Warden - Fixed term
- Part-Time Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Senior Fundraising Officer - Fixed term
- Wildlife Fundraiser - South Essex/North London
- Catering Assistant
- Visitor Experience Assistant
- Senior Project Manager - Curlews in Crisis (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Community Engagement Development Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Development Manager (Fixed-Term)
- Retail Assistant - RSPB Leighton Moss Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Estates Surveyor - Central Scotland
- Community Engagement Officer, Mull of Galloway - fixed term
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Administrator - Frampton Marsh Nature Reserve
- Cafe Worker - Variable Hours
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Frampton Marsh
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Central Kent
- Lead Carbon Data Analyst
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dorset/Somerset
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Gloucester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Salisbury
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Oswestry
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Liverpool
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dundee
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bradford/Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Nottingham/Sherwood Forest
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Derby
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Buxton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Wolverhampton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Birmingham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Carlisle/Penrith Area
- 2 x Seasonal Mountain Ranger - Fixed Term
- Catering Assistant (Part-Time)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Project Manager (Wales)
- Visitor Experience Manager – RSPB Minsmere
- Part Time Community Connector - Fixed term
- Centre Assistant - fixed term
- Kitchen Assistants x2 (Part-Time)
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Fundraising Manager (Maternity Cover)
- Fundraising Officer - Scotland
- Volunteering Development Officer
- Senior Policy Officer - Agriculture
- Seasonal Ranger x 1.5 - (Fixed Term)
- Field Officer - Peatland Restoration
- Assistant Warden, Orkney Reserves
- Head of Safety Management
- Conservation Adviser
- Investigations Intelligence Manager
- PeacePlus Programme Manager - Northern Ireland (Fixed-Term)
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Senior Administrator
- Conservation Officer - East County Down
- Warden - RSPB Ynys-hir
- Field Officer - RSPB Lumbister (Fixed-Term)
- Seabird Assistant (seasonal) Coquet Island (2 posts)
- Biodiversity Adviser - RSPB idverde Bromley
- Finance Officer (Part-Time)