New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
*Apply here: New to Nature Placement Application Survey (surveymonkey.co.uk)
Thank you for your interest in this New to Nature placement.
New to Nature is an exciting programme of paid work placements in nature-focused roles. This is one of 70 roles that will be created across the UK to encourage young and diverse talent into the Natural Environment sector.
We’re particularly interested in receiving applications from young people (aged 18-25) who are from ethnically diverse backgrounds, who are living with a disability or are from low-income households.
You’ll get paid a good wage from a placement that helps the environment, learn loads of skills to boost your CV and get access to a Youth Employment Coach to help you plan your future career. There’ll also be opportunities to learn about potential careers in the natural environment, and (should you wish to) connect with the other young people working in New to Nature roles across the country.
This is a unique opportunity to try something new, and to take a first step on a career path where you can make a real difference. The natural environment needs you!
We hope you will join us on this exciting journey!
What's the role about?
Working with the reserve warden, the post holder will assist with the day-to-day habitat management for both woodland reserves. They will be part of, and eventually lead, volunteer work parties, carry out trail maintenance, vehicle and tool maintenance and assist with some wildlife monitoring such as river fly monitoring. They will also be required to assist with the maintenance of buildings and infrastructure for visitors to ensure a positive visitor experience.
The successful applicant would not need to commute to site as they will be provided with onsite shared accommodation (including Wi-Fi, water, electricity and gas) free of charge, if required. The accommodation is a single bedroom in a 3-bed shared cottage situated next to the office on the reserve, with shared bathroom, kitchen, living room and amazing views. PPE, equipment and appropriate clothing will also be provided.
You will be a motivated, enthusiastic person who’s willing to learn the practical skills required to be a warden of the future. You will need to be approachable and friendly as you will be expected to lead volunteer work parties (after appropriate training is provided)
Knowledge of wildlife and working with nature reserves is not key, just come with an interest and a willingness to listen to and learn from your colleagues.
You will be joining a friendly and supportive team with varied individual work areas. We will give you support and training to achieve your best in the role and beyond.
In your application, please state and use examples to fully demonstrate the skills and experience you have that match the following:
RSPB will also be providing support for participants, including:
- Wildlife ID training
- Habitat management training
- Chainsaw training
- Brushcutter training
- All-Terrain Vehicle training
- First Aid
- Geographical Information Systems software training
- Leadership Skills
This is a Fixed-Term role for 12 months working for 35 hours per week. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from the week commencing 27th February. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please apply for this placement via the following link: www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/NTNPlacementApplication22
Please see attached additional information document for more information on this role.
This is hosted by Groundwork UK who will check the suitability of applicants, before passing the application on to the placement organisation, who will shortlist applicants to an informal interview process.
Please ensure you carefully select the correct role from the drop-down list, to ensure your details are passed to the correct placement organisation.
If you have any questions about the application form, contact Groundwork UK at: email@example.com
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world richer in nature, we need more people, and more diverse people, on nature’s side. People of colour and disabled people are currently underrepresented across the environment, climate, sustainability, and conservation sector. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Assistant Warden - Fixed term
- Part-Time Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Senior Fundraising Officer - Fixed term
- Wildlife Fundraiser - South Essex/North London
- Catering Assistant
- Visitor Experience Assistant
- Senior Project Manager - Curlews in Crisis (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Community Engagement Development Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Development Manager (Fixed-Term)
- Retail Assistant - RSPB Leighton Moss Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Estates Surveyor - Central Scotland
- Community Engagement Officer, Mull of Galloway - fixed term
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Administrator - Frampton Marsh Nature Reserve
- Cafe Worker - Variable Hours
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Frampton Marsh
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Central Kent
- Lead Carbon Data Analyst
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dorset/Somerset
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Gloucester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Salisbury
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Oswestry
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Liverpool
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dundee
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bradford/Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Nottingham/Sherwood Forest
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Derby
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Buxton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Wolverhampton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Birmingham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Carlisle/Penrith Area
- 2 x Seasonal Mountain Ranger - Fixed Term
- Catering Assistant (Part-Time)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Project Manager (Wales)
- Visitor Experience Manager – RSPB Minsmere
- Part Time Community Connector - Fixed term
- Centre Assistant - fixed term
- Kitchen Assistants x2 (Part-Time)
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Fundraising Manager (Maternity Cover)
- Fundraising Officer - Scotland
- Volunteering Development Officer
- Senior Policy Officer - Agriculture
- Seasonal Ranger x 1.5 - (Fixed Term)
- Field Officer - Peatland Restoration
- Assistant Warden, Orkney Reserves
- Head of Safety Management
- Conservation Adviser
- Investigations Intelligence Manager
- PeacePlus Programme Manager - Northern Ireland (Fixed-Term)
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Senior Administrator
- Conservation Officer - East County Down
- Warden - RSPB Ynys-hir
- Field Officer - RSPB Lumbister (Fixed-Term)
- Seabird Assistant (seasonal) Coquet Island (2 posts)
- Loch Ruthven Summer Ranger
- Biodiversity Adviser - RSPB idverde Bromley
- Finance Officer (Part-Time)