Fundraising Officer - Scotland
3–4 days/week at home
Fully flexible hours
The RSPB is the largest nature conservation charity in Europe, with over one million members. We work to achieve a better world for both nature and people, where biodiversity loss has halted, and human actions ensure the sustainable management of the planet’s natural resources. RSPB Scotland manages 80 nature reserves from Shetland in the north to the Mull of Galloway in the south. We collaborate with other organisations to deliver a wide range of projects and activities both on and off our nature reserves.
RSPB Scotland is looking for a Fundraising Officer to join our Fundraising Team and help generate income from external funding sources (charitable trusts and grants). This will enable us to deliver priority projects and goals to aid nature's recovery.
This role can be flexible/hybrid between office and home working, but the successful candidate will be expected to be able to travel to our office in Edinburgh, and occasionally nature reserves across Scotland, when required.
What's the role about?
Reporting to a Fundraising Manager, the Fundraising Officer will play a key role in ensuring that the RSPB Scotland fundraising team meets or exceeds agreed income targets, with support from a Senior Fundraising Officer.
The focus of this role will be to generate income from funders including charitable trusts, the Scottish Landfill Communities Fund, and other statutory sources. This involves:
- Researching and identifying potential funding opportunities and matching these to agreed priority work on our nature reserves, projects and core work
- Writing compelling fundraising applications, as well as detailed and accurate evaluation reports and grant claims
- Collating relevant financial information for both applications and grant claims
- Developing relationships with funders to understand their objectives and deadlines
- Liaising with colleagues across the country to gather relevant and accurate information for funding applications and other communication requirements
- Communicating with project partners and other charities to share knowledge and experiences
- Accurately recording income and donor communications on a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system
Excellent writing skills and attention to detail are crucial to the success of this role, as is the ability to manage multiple tasks, work flexibly and prioritise to meet tight deadlines. You would be part of a five person grants team and a wider fifteen-person Funding Development team. A friendly, positive attitude and willingness to collaborate within the team and adapt to changing priorities is required. Experience of grant fundraising would be advantageous.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Excellent written communication skills – experience in writing persuasive and compelling fundraising applications is desirable
- Ability to communicate confidently and professionally over email and phone
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent organisational and time management skills with the ability to prioritise work and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work independently, identify tasks and manage own workload
- Good numeracy skills
- Strong IT skills
- Awareness of, and interest in, the challenges facing the natural world
- Ability to develop good working relationships with colleagues and funders
- Educated to degree level or have relevant professional experience
- English and Mathematics GCSE or equivalent
This is a Permanent role for 37.5 hours per week. We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 1st May 2023. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application process you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
This role will require completion of a PVG in addition to the standard pre-employment checks.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world richer in nature, we need more people, and more diverse people, on nature’s side. People of colour and disabled people are currently underrepresented across the environment, climate, sustainability, and conservation sector. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
The RSPB is a licenced sponsor. This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship - the successful applicant will need to have a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK in order to be offered an employment contract.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Assistant Warden - Fixed term
- Part-Time Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Senior Fundraising Officer - Fixed term
- Wildlife Fundraiser - South Essex/North London
- Catering Assistant
- Visitor Experience Assistant
- Senior Project Manager - Curlews in Crisis (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Community Engagement Development Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Development Manager (Fixed-Term)
- Retail Assistant - RSPB Leighton Moss Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Estates Surveyor - Central Scotland
- Community Engagement Officer, Mull of Galloway - fixed term
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Administrator - Frampton Marsh Nature Reserve
- Cafe Worker - Variable Hours
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Frampton Marsh
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Central Kent
- Lead Carbon Data Analyst
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dorset/Somerset
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Gloucester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Salisbury
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Oswestry
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Liverpool
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dundee
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bradford/Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Nottingham/Sherwood Forest
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Derby
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Buxton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Wolverhampton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Birmingham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Carlisle/Penrith Area
- 2 x Seasonal Mountain Ranger - Fixed Term
- Catering Assistant (Part-Time)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Project Manager (Wales)
- Visitor Experience Manager – RSPB Minsmere
- Part Time Community Connector - Fixed term
- Centre Assistant - fixed term
- Kitchen Assistants x2 (Part-Time)
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Fundraising Manager (Maternity Cover)
- Volunteering Development Officer
- Senior Policy Officer - Agriculture
- Seasonal Ranger x 1.5 - (Fixed Term)
- Field Officer - Peatland Restoration
- Assistant Warden, Orkney Reserves
- Head of Safety Management
- Conservation Adviser
- Investigations Intelligence Manager
- PeacePlus Programme Manager - Northern Ireland (Fixed-Term)
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Senior Administrator
- Conservation Officer - East County Down
- Warden - RSPB Ynys-hir
- Field Officer - RSPB Lumbister (Fixed-Term)
- Seabird Assistant (seasonal) Coquet Island (2 posts)
- Loch Ruthven Summer Ranger
- Biodiversity Adviser - RSPB idverde Bromley
- Finance Officer (Part-Time)