Field Officer - RSPB Lumbister (Fixed-Term)
3–4 days/week at home
Fully flexible hours
Do you enjoy working outdoors? And would you like to directly contribute to environmental improvements in the Shetland? We are looking for a field officer to help facilitate preparation for the delivery of peatland restoration at the RSPB Lumbister site in Yell.
Vast swathes of important peatland habitats cover the uplands of Shetland. Supporting many special species of upland wading birds, such as golden plovers, dunlins, curlews and whimbrels, these important areas need to be protected and improved.
We have ambitious plans to restore and improve large areas of peatland, re-introduce natural pool systems and encourage the holding of water in these areas.
About the Role
We are looking for a field officer for a 3 year post, to help facilitate preparation for the delivery of peatland restoration at the RSPB Lumbister site in Yell. The role will cover a range of outdoor activities, that will deliver this important work. The role consists of marking out drains for restoration works ahead of the digger contractors, planning and helping our Project Manager to map and ground truth the next sections of potential work, and helping to meet essential report deadlines to satisfy our funding obligations.
The role is largely based on our upland reserve in Yell, a vast area of peatland. The role will be responsible for covering large areas to map features and gather much-needed information for our Project Manager to use in reports and applications
If you enjoy the outdoors and can take direction, we would love to hear from you. A fulfilling role that will make a direct contribution to environmental improvements awaits!
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of peatland habitats to enable credibility in the role.
- Knowledge of delivery mechanisms for peatland conservation work e.g. Peatland Action Fund
- Organisational skills e.g. maintenance and analysis of datasets, and managing conflicting priorities.
- Ability to work effectively as a team player both internally and externally.
- Effective communication skills (verbal, written and presentational) - including an ability to speak confidently and cogently to a variety of audiences.
- Experience of working to survey, protect and/or manage important sites or habitats.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Ability to rapidly analyse significant quantities of information, prioritise and balance a diverse workload often to tight deadlines.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office apps and experience of GIS for mapping
- Knowledge of the wildlife and habitats of the operational area of this role.
This is a Fixed-Term, Full-Time role for 3 years. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from w/c 10th April 2023. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world richer in nature, we need more people, and more diverse people, on nature’s side. People of colour and disabled people are currently underrepresented across the environment, climate, sustainability, and conservation sector. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship - the successful applicant will need to have a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK in order to be offered an employment contract.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Assistant Warden - Fixed term
- Part-Time Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Senior Fundraising Officer - Fixed term
- Wildlife Fundraiser - South Essex/North London
- Catering Assistant
- Visitor Experience Assistant
- Senior Project Manager - Curlews in Crisis (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Community Engagement Development Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Development Manager (Fixed-Term)
- Retail Assistant - RSPB Leighton Moss Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Estates Surveyor - Central Scotland
- Community Engagement Officer, Mull of Galloway - fixed term
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Administrator - Frampton Marsh Nature Reserve
- Cafe Worker - Variable Hours
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Frampton Marsh
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Central Kent
- Lead Carbon Data Analyst
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dorset/Somerset
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Gloucester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Salisbury
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Oswestry
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Liverpool
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dundee
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bradford/Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Nottingham/Sherwood Forest
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Derby
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Buxton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Wolverhampton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Birmingham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Carlisle/Penrith Area
- 2 x Seasonal Mountain Ranger - Fixed Term
- Catering Assistant (Part-Time)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Project Manager (Wales)
- Visitor Experience Manager – RSPB Minsmere
- Part Time Community Connector - Fixed term
- Centre Assistant - fixed term
- Kitchen Assistants x2 (Part-Time)
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Fundraising Manager (Maternity Cover)
- Fundraising Officer - Scotland
- Volunteering Development Officer
- Senior Policy Officer - Agriculture
- Seasonal Ranger x 1.5 - (Fixed Term)
- Field Officer - Peatland Restoration
- Assistant Warden, Orkney Reserves
- Head of Safety Management
- Conservation Adviser
- Investigations Intelligence Manager
- PeacePlus Programme Manager - Northern Ireland (Fixed-Term)
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Senior Administrator
- Conservation Officer - East County Down
- Warden - RSPB Ynys-hir
- Seabird Assistant (seasonal) Coquet Island (2 posts)
- Loch Ruthven Summer Ranger
- Biodiversity Adviser - RSPB idverde Bromley
- Finance Officer (Part-Time)