Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
We are looking for an experienced PMO professional with direct, hands-on experience to manage the Digital Technology Project Management Office. This person will report to the Head of Technology – Delivery & Production and manage a small team responsible for ensuring the day-to-day management of the pipeline of work through Digital Technology. Ensuring the work is understood, accurately sized, prioritised and governed in line with RSPB policies and best practice.
They will be responsible for establishing and ensuring projects delivered by Digital Technology comply with the PMO standards and procedures and providing insight to senior management to help make strategic decisions around project priorities, risk, issues, resource management and corrective action plans.
The individual will be responsible for defining and driving performance improvement across the key processes within the PMO; e.g. planning & estimating, prioritisation, resource management and scheduling of the delivery of the agreed pipeline.
While the role is not directly responsible for the delivery of projects or the line management of project managers, the DT PMO Manager will need to actively work with project and programme managers to ensure robust project management practices are being followed.
This role is part of our Digital Technology Delivery & Production team, which consists of Programme Managers, Project Managers, Scrum Masters and the Digital Project Management Office, manages the delivery of key technical projects, acts as an interface between technology and business stakeholders, supports the delivery and benefits realisation of the RSPB Technology Portfolio meeting the brand values and business strategy.
This role by its nature requires an individual who is from a digital or technology delivery background with a strong understanding of delivery methodologies and best-practice in the discipline of establishing and running an effective project management office. It requires someone who is emotionally intelligent to negotiate working with strong stakeholders and various teams across the RSPB.
• Leadership of the Digital Technology PMO function including managing, motivating and developing a small team.
• Establish and track against Delivery KPIs, budgets and other constraints to deliver a high-quality service.
• Ensure communication to senior management across the organisation in relation to the PMO remit, roles & responsibilities, processes and value is clear, targeted, appropriate and understood.
• Provide reporting and insight to the organisation where required, and to Departmental Leadership Team as requested.
• Ensure risks are effectively captured and managed within the DT PMO function, aligned with audit and the wider organisation.
• As the team is currently quite small, the DT PMO Manager will also need to actively engage with the day-to-day operational activities in the DT PMO. This will not be a purely hands-off managerial role
Governance & Advisory
• Establish processes, standards and guidelines around Technology project delivery and work with the delivery teams, and senior management responsible for project delivery, to ensure the governance framework is being correctly applied by projects.
• Coordinate and run delivery and governance meetings and provide insight that drives action.
• Work alongside senior management to identify where projects are at risk of slippage against schedule or budget or have risks and issues which are not being fully addressed.
• Conduct project audits to ensure projects are structured and managed appropriately to successfully manage the risk of not delivering to time, cost and quality.
• Provide ad-hoc analytical support to ensure that Digital Technology achieves goals set by the Digital Technology Leadership Team.
• Work with other department leads within Digital Technology to roll out new processes and improvements to existing delivery methodologies.
Key Criteria & Experience
• Proven track record in project and programme delivery including strong Agile, establishing best practices, mentoring teams and stakeholders
• In-depth understanding of Agile and its relationship to project governance and controls
• In-depth experience of core project and programme management frameworks (MSP, Prince 2, APM, Agile and SAFe)
• Demonstrable experience of prioritisation techniques
This is a Permanent role for 37.5 hours per week. Our technology teams are all fully remote and flexibility is offered to all employees.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position as soon as the right candidate presents themselves. Previous applicants for this role, please do not reapply.
For further information don't hesitate to get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org. (No Agencies please)
As part of this application process, you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete an application form including evidence of how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Assistant Warden - Fixed term
- Part-Time Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Senior Fundraising Officer - Fixed term
- Wildlife Fundraiser - South Essex/North London
- Catering Assistant
- Visitor Experience Assistant
- Senior Project Manager - Curlews in Crisis (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Community Engagement Development Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Development Manager (Fixed-Term)
- Retail Assistant - RSPB Leighton Moss Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Estates Surveyor - Central Scotland
- Community Engagement Officer, Mull of Galloway - fixed term
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Administrator - Frampton Marsh Nature Reserve
- Cafe Worker - Variable Hours
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Frampton Marsh
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Central Kent
- Lead Carbon Data Analyst
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dorset/Somerset
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Gloucester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Salisbury
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Oswestry
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Liverpool
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dundee
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bradford/Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Nottingham/Sherwood Forest
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Derby
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Buxton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Wolverhampton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Birmingham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Carlisle/Penrith Area
- 2 x Seasonal Mountain Ranger - Fixed Term
- Catering Assistant (Part-Time)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Project Manager (Wales)
- Visitor Experience Manager – RSPB Minsmere
- Part Time Community Connector - Fixed term
- Centre Assistant - fixed term
- Kitchen Assistants x2 (Part-Time)
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Fundraising Manager (Maternity Cover)
- Fundraising Officer - Scotland
- Volunteering Development Officer
- Senior Policy Officer - Agriculture
- Seasonal Ranger x 1.5 - (Fixed Term)
- Field Officer - Peatland Restoration
- Assistant Warden, Orkney Reserves
- Head of Safety Management
- Conservation Adviser
- Investigations Intelligence Manager
- PeacePlus Programme Manager - Northern Ireland (Fixed-Term)
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Senior Administrator
- Conservation Officer - East County Down
- Warden - RSPB Ynys-hir
- Field Officer - RSPB Lumbister (Fixed-Term)
- Seabird Assistant (seasonal) Coquet Island (2 posts)
- Loch Ruthven Summer Ranger
- Biodiversity Adviser - RSPB idverde Bromley
- Finance Officer (Part-Time)