3–4 days/week at home
Fully flexible hours
Do you want to join a fantastic catering team, working on a beautiful nature reserve? RSPB Leighton Moss cafe, in Silverdale, near Carnforth, is recruiting for a part-time Catering Assistants to join the team.
Leighton Moss is a flagship RSPB reserve in the Arnside and Silverdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The reserve is home to fantastic wildlife including marsh harriers, bittern and otters. As part of the catering team you’ll be at the heart of the action in the visitor centre, serving some of our 100’000 visitors per year with the ethically sourced food on our menu. Your hard work in the café will help us generate income which the RSPB can use to help save nature.
For more information about Leighton Moss reserve please see - https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/leighton-moss/
As Catering Assistant at RSPB Leighton Moss, you will:
- Assist with the day to day operation of the busy Leighton Moss café
- Work as part of a motivated and passionate team of staff and volunteers
- Deliver the highest standard of customer care
- Serve customers, handle cash and use the till system
- Prepare and serve high-quality food and drink
- Maintain stock levels
- Clear tables and wash up
- Maintain high hygiene standards and follow all food safety and cleaning guidelines
- A salary set by the Living Wage Foundation - £9.90 - £10.98 per hour at time of advertising, due to increase to £10.90 for starting salary from April 2023.
- Opportunity to join a great team working at one of the most beautiful nature reserves in the UK;
- A contract that suits you;
- An annual volunteer day either with the RSPB or another charity of your choosing;
- 34 days’ annual leave pro-rata (including 8 bank holidays)
- Career progression opportunities within Europe's largest conservation charity;
- 20% Discount at all RSPB retail outlets
- Cycle to work scheme.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Enthusiastic approach to work,
- Good understanding of the principals of food hygiene;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Problem-solving skills and ability to work on own initiative;
- Ability to manage and respond to customer needs and feedback;
- Working in target driven/pressured environment;
- Ability to work as part of a team.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience of working at a café/bar/pub;
- Till operation and payment handling;
- Knowledge of food and food service skills;
- Computer skills.
The café is open from 9.30 am – 5 pm, seven days a week, only closing on Christmas Day. The successful candidate will need to be available to work shifts from 9 am-5.15 pm and must be available to work regular weekends and bank holidays.
This 22.5-hour-a-week contract will typically be spread over 3 x 7.5-hour days, with the possibility for additional shifts during busier periods.
We will invite candidates for taster shifts and further interviews as we receive applications and reserve the right to close this vacancy should sufficient applications be received. For all application/role enquiries please get in touch with Patrick.Keating@rspb.org.uk
As part of this application, you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete a short form.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world richer in nature, we need more people on nature's side and more diverse people. People of colour and disabled people are underrepresented across the environment, climate, sustainability, and conservation sectors. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any additional support you may need to complete your application.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Assistant Warden - Fixed term
- Part-Time Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Senior Fundraising Officer - Fixed term
- Wildlife Fundraiser - South Essex/North London
- Catering Assistant
- Visitor Experience Assistant
- Senior Project Manager - Curlews in Crisis (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Community Engagement Development Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Whose Hoo Development Manager (Fixed-Term)
- Retail Assistant - RSPB Leighton Moss Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Estates Surveyor - Central Scotland
- Community Engagement Officer, Mull of Galloway - fixed term
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Administrator - Frampton Marsh Nature Reserve
- Cafe Worker - Variable Hours
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Frampton Marsh
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Central Kent
- Lead Carbon Data Analyst
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dorset/Somerset
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Gloucester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Salisbury
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Oswestry
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Liverpool
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Dundee
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bradford/Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Nottingham/Sherwood Forest
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Derby
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Buxton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Wolverhampton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Birmingham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Carlisle/Penrith Area
- 2 x Seasonal Mountain Ranger - Fixed Term
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Project Manager (Wales)
- Visitor Experience Manager – RSPB Minsmere
- Part Time Community Connector - Fixed term
- Centre Assistant - fixed term
- Kitchen Assistants x2 (Part-Time)
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Fundraising Manager (Maternity Cover)
- Fundraising Officer - Scotland
- Volunteering Development Officer
- Senior Policy Officer - Agriculture
- Seasonal Ranger x 1.5 - (Fixed Term)
- Field Officer - Peatland Restoration
- Assistant Warden, Orkney Reserves
- Head of Safety Management
- Conservation Adviser
- Investigations Intelligence Manager
- PeacePlus Programme Manager - Northern Ireland (Fixed-Term)
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Senior Administrator
- Conservation Officer - East County Down
- Warden - RSPB Ynys-hir
- Field Officer - RSPB Lumbister (Fixed-Term)
- Seabird Assistant (seasonal) Coquet Island (2 posts)
- Loch Ruthven Summer Ranger
- Biodiversity Adviser - RSPB idverde Bromley
- Finance Officer (Part-Time)