Can you deliver fantastic customer service, and would you like to work for an organisation that is making a big difference to our natural world? We are looking for an enthusiastic and hard-working people person, to work in our cafe, shop and Welcome area at RSPB Arne Nature Reserve.
About RSPB Arne
RSPB Arne is a beautiful site consisting of a patchwork of habitats. Although famous for its dry and wet lowland heath you can also find ancient oak woodland, farmland, reedbed, mudflats, scrub, wet woodland, acid grassland and even sandy beaches. Spanning over 600 hectares this mix of habitats is one of the reasons that Arne is home to such a huge variety of species. The lowland heathland offers homes for reptiles and rare insects and Arne remains one of the few places in the UK where all six of the UK's native reptiles can be found. Situated on Poole Harbour and within the Dorset Area of Natural Beauty it is a stunning place.
About the Role
Our work in the RSPB Arne Visitor Operations is planned via rotas and would include weekend working. Full induction and training would be provided, with opportunities to learn about running a busy reserve Visitor Operations.
Our cafe, shop and Welcome Area are a crucial part of what we do here, encouraging visitors to explore the reserve, buy great products, sample locally produced organic food and giving them a great all round visitor experience.
You will be able to communicate well with our visitors and offer excellent customer care. Duties will include working on our meet and greet operation, welcoming visitors to the reserve, giving out information, and encouraging visitors to support our work.
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shop Discounts
- Friendly work environment
- An annual volunteer day to spend with whichever charity you choose
- 34 days’ annual leave (including 8 bank holidays (pro-rata))
- Full training and comprehensive induction
- Career progression opportunities within Europe's largest conservation charity, and up to 4 weeks’ sabbatical opportunities for every 5 years of service
- Flexible working hours
- GCSE Maths and English or equivalent experience.
- Computer literate. - training will be provided
- Enthusiastic approach to work.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Multitasking skills
- Problem-solving skills and ability to work on own initiative.
- Ability to manage and respond quickly and positively to customer needs and feedback.
- Ability to work across different teams
- Experience of working at a catering environment/visitor attraction.
- Knowledge of health and safety in the workplace.
- Knowledge of food and foodservice skills.
- Till operation and payment handling.
- Basic food hygiene knowledge
This is a 5 -month contract working variable hours. Ideal for students or those needing flexible hours. Ideal transferable skills - Retail, Customer Service, Catering, Hospitality, Nature, Sustainability, Climate Change, Students, Flexible working.
We reserve the right to extend/make it permanent at any time.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position as, and when candidates present themselves, as this is a highly vital role, so please don't delay in applying. For further information please get in touch with email: Daniel.Harris@rspb.org.uk
As part of this application, you will be asked to upload a CV and complete a short form.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship - the successful applicant must have a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK to be offered an employment contract.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world richer in nature, we need more people on nature's side and more diverse people. People of colour and disabled people are underrepresented across the environment, climate, sustainability, and conservation sectors. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
RSPB is very flexible, and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North Oxford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Wirral
- Part Time Food and Beverage Assistant
- Conservation Officer - Indonesia (Fixed-Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Essex
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Barnstaple
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Winchester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Hereford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tewkesbury
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Swindon
- International Bycatch Project Officer
- Part Time Humber Reserves Estate Worker (Fixed Term)
- Project Officer - Lough Erne Landscape Partnership (Fixed Term)
- Species Recovery Officer
- Trainee Stalker - Cairngorms Connect
- Senior Conservation Officer - Yorkshire & Humber (Maternity Cover)
- Campaigns Developer
- Science Finance Officer (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Experience Assistant at RSPB South Stack (Fixed-Term)
- Project Manager - Tir Canol (Maternity Cover)
- Site Manager - North Highland Reserves
- Volunteer Development Officer
- Senior Site Manager - RSPB Geltsdale
- Investigations Liaison Officer (Maternity Cover)
- Senior Developer
- Part-Time Rural Surveyor - Midlands
- Biosecurity Officer - Wales (Fixed Term)
- Senior Site Manager
- Ecologist - Peatland Restoration Programme (Fixed Term)
- Senior Research Assistant - Social Sciences (Fixed Term)
- Senior Legacy Officer
- Assistant Warden
- Visitor Operations Manager (Fixed-Term) - RSPB The Lodge & Fowlmere
- Conservation Advisor - Dartmoor Moorland
- Investigations Officers (1 x Permanent, 1 x Fixed-Term)
- Pennaeth Ymgysylltu - Cymru / Head of Engagement - Wales
- Part-Time Centre Assistants (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Avian Influenza (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time Tree Nursery Assistant
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Part-Time or Full-Time - Land's End
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (22.5 hours and zero hours contracts)