Would you like to spend the summer living and working on the beautiful Isle of Anglesey, spending your days by the sea watching over a bustling tern colony? Do you love seabirds and want to make a real difference to their fortunes? If so, then one of these roles could be for you!
We are looking to fill vacancies at two very different sites – The Skerries and Ynys Feurig – both part of the Anglesey Terns SPA, and both home to mixed colonies of Arctic & common terns. - Accommodation will be provided.
The ideal candidate will be a wildlife enthusiast, self-motivated, meticulous in data collection, and happy to work outside in all weathers & in isolated locations.
The Skerries (2 posts) - The Skerries contract runs from the 24th of April until the 31st of August 2023.
The Skerries are a group of uninhabited islands in the Irish Sea, 2 miles off the coast of Anglesey. Home to the largest Arctic tern colony in the UK, several hundred pairs of breeding puffin, herring gull and lesser black-backed gull, as well as a colony grey seals, The Skerries is a spectacular place to spend a summer!
As Contract tern warden on the Skerries, you will be living full time with one colleague on the islands, in the old lighthouse keepers’ accommodation in the historic lighthouse, surrounded by the noisy terns, night & day. Food & supplies are brought out every 10 days or so by the local RSPB staff.
Note that if Avian Flu takes hold on the islands it will probably be necessary for the wardens to be removed to the mainland from where frequent visits by boat will take place.
Ynys Feurig (2 posts) - The Ynys Feurig contract runs from the 2nd of May until the 26th of August 2023.
Ynys Feurig are tidal islands, connected to the stunning Rhosneigr beach at low tide, and graced by several hundred pairs of common & Arctic terns. Living with one other colleague in a static caravan on a site in the nearby tourist village of Rhosneigr you are only a short walk through the flower-rich sand dunes and along the beach to the islands where you can spend time monitoring the colony from a purpose-built hide.
Although this post does not involve as much time actually in the colony as does the Skerries, it does give the opportunity in your free time to explore everything else that Anglesey & North Wales has to offer!
About the Roles
The aim of the roles is to protect and monitor the mixed seabird colonies present, focussing on Arctic, common & (if you are lucky) roseate terns.
The main tasks are:
- Watch over the colony and try to prevent disturbance and predation
- Undertake full colony counts of the terns
- Monitor productivity
- Monitor tern chick feeding rates
- Identify & intensively monitor any roseate tern pairs that settle
- Biosecurity monitoring
- Put out & manage tern nest boxes
- Produce a full annual report by the end of the season
- Use & maintain household equipment in the RSPB accommodation
- Help with ringing of terns (& reading rings & leg-flags)
- Skerries only:
- Undertake full colony counts of puffins and gulls
- Liaise with mainland staff, Trinity House, lighthouse attendant and visiting public
- Undertaking gull nest control and potentially assisting with lethal control of adult gulls (undertaken by a contractor)
- Ynys Feurig only:
- Undertake fox watches; patrolling the beach at all night-time low-tides
- Liaise with the public to prevent people accessing the islands
- Help with lethal control of carrion crows if necessary
What we need from you:
- Passionate about birds & wildlife
- Happy to live & work in a team of two in a remote location
- Is meticulous and thorough in data collection & recording
- Able to work & meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Able to complete physical tasks
- Happy to work outside in all weathers including at night (Ynys Feurig only)
- Have excellent bird identification skills, including terns - Desirable
- Have experience of biological data collection - Desirable
- Have a degree in a relevant subject - Desirable
- Be practically minded & able to problem solve - Desirable
- Have previous experience of seabird colonies - Desirable
- Have experience of managing health & safety issues - Desirable
- Be confident in report writing - Desirable
- Have basic IT skills including Microsoft Office - Desirable
For additional information about the role please contact Ian Sims (North Wales Wetlands Warden) firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that you will be required to only complete an online application form where you will have the opportunity to tell us why you are best suited for this role. Please state clearly on the 'About You' section of the application form which role you are applying to i.e - The Skerries, Ynys Feurig, or both.
As we are actively recruiting for this role we reserve the right to close this ad once sufficient applications have been received.
Interviews will take place on 14th March 2023.
Before applying to these roles we would recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of our advert
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Carbon Farming Project Manager - (Fixed-Term)
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Part Time - Centre Assistant - Fixed Term
- Legacy Team Executive - RSPB UKHQ - The Lodge
- New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Part-Time - Cleaner
- Part-Time Retail Assistant
- Visitor Experience Manager
- Volunteer Engagement Manager
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Senior Conservation Officer
- Head of Sustainable Land Use Policy - England
- Fundraising Manager - Scotland
- Part Time - Catering Assistant - (Fixed Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistant x 2 (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Curlew Monitoring Officer - (Fixed term)
- Head of Marine Policy
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Curlew Life Research Assistant (Technical) - RSPB Northern Ireland
- New to Nature Placement - Community and Visitor Engagement Assistant - Apply via Survey Monkey Link
- New to Nature Placement - Access to Nature Project Assistant. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Head of Policy & Advocacy - England
- Part-Time Cleaner x 2
- Project Manager - (Frampton Marsh)
- Nature Protection Policy Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Learning Assistant - (Fixed term)
- Curlew LIFE Research Assistant (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bedford Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Luton Area
- Centre Assistant - variable hours - (Fixed Term)
- 2 x Senior Administrator - (Fixed Term)
- Employee Relations Adviser - x3 (Part-Time & Full-Time roles available)
- Research Assistants x2 - Twite Recovery Project
- PT or FT - Senior Project Manager – Nature Positive Biodiversity Gain in Scotland (Fixed Term)
- Assistant Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Telford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Chester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Driffield - Flexible within East Yorks.
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser x2 - RSPB Loch Garten Nature Reserve (Seasonal Contract)
- Curlew Monitoring Officer x 2 – Upper Lough Erne
- Part-Time Car Park Attendant x4 (Fixed-Term)
- Area Manager (East Midlands)
- Education, Families & Youth Officer - Scotland based - Hybrid (Part-Time)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tonbridge Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North London
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Isle of Wight
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Cheltenham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Falmouth
- Rheolwr Cyfathrebu / Communications Manager
- Test Team Lead
- Warden (Farnham Heath)
- Project Manager - Corncrake Calling - (fixed-term)
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Flexible in UK
- Beach Nesting Bird Project Officer - (fixed term)
- Learning and Visitor Assistant x2 (Part time & Fixed term - March to October)
- Senior Policy Officer - Bioenergy and BECCS - Fixed Term
- Part-Time Cleaner
- Glenwherry Curlew Initiative Monitoring Officer (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Moorland Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Dundee Project Manager - (Fixed Term - Possible Secondment Opportunity)
- Assistant Warden - Cumbria Coast Reserves
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Food & Beverage Business Support Executive
- Project Officer - Stone-Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Visitor Experience Manager - Rainham Marshes
- Government Affairs Manager
- Health, Safety & Environment Advisor - Central England
- Part-Time Learning Assistant (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Finance Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project (Fixed-Term)
- Catering Assistant - Loch Leven - Variable Hours Available
- Learning and Visitor Assistant - RSPB Saltholme (Part-Time)
- Senior Beach Warden (Fixed-Term)
- Visitor Experience Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Peatland Project Manager - Shetlands (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Site Maintenance Assistant
- Assistant Warden - Shetland Office
- Learning Officer - RSPB Scotland - Orkney (Part-Time)
- Project Officer - England Twite Recovery Project - (Fixed Term)
- Learning Officer- Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office (Part-Time)
- Senior Systems Engineer