This is a diverse and varied role. You will deliver a high-quality experience to over 4,000 visitors each season as well as managing a small team of residential volunteers. You will also play a key supporting role in the delivery of the island's ecological management plan. You will carry out wildlife monitoring surveys on chough, grey seals and seabirds and conduct botanical surveys on some of the island's nationally scarce water plants. You will occasionally assist with livestock management.
What we need from you
- You will have exceptional people skills and experience of working with the public.
- You will be comfortable managing a small team of volunteers from a range of backgrounds
- You will have knowledge and experience of practical habitat and estate management.
- You will have knowledge of the wildlife and habitats Ramsey is famed for and experience of biological surveys
- Lantra or equivalent qualification in using equipment such as brushcutter and sit astride ATV
- Knowledge of servicing and maintaining vehicles, machinery, tools and equipment to agreed standards.
- Implementing and updating health and safety records and assessments.
This role will involve lone working and working and living in remote locations. It is essential you are adaptable and flexible. Ramsey is not a 9 – 5 job, the role will sometimes require weekend, early morning and evening working. No two days are the same on islands and the best laid plans often have to change at the last minute due to the vagaries of weather and tide.
This is a Fixed-Term role for 8 months from 1st March - 31st October. The role is full time, you will be based on Ramsey with free accommodation provided.
Please not that you will be required to complete an application form where you will have the opportunity to tell us why you are best suited for this role.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 15/12/2022. For further info please contact email@example.com
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Seasonal Field Officer - Plovers in Peril (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Experience Officer (x 4) RSPB Rathlin Island - Northern Ireland
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Assistant Warden x2 (Fixed-Term)
- Assistant Warden x2 - Eastern Solent Reserves
- Communications Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office
- 2 x Part-Time Cleaners - (14.5 hours M to F and 5 hours at weekends)
- Conservation Data Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Systems Engineer
- Seabird & Marine Policy Officer (Senior)
- 5 x Centre Assistants - Bempton Cliffs (6 months Fixed-Term, Variable Hours Avail)
- Project Officer - Species on the Edge - Orkney (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Operations Manager - Devon, Exe Estuary (30 hours p/w)
- Head of Communications & Marketing (Wales - RSPB Cymru - HQ )
- Assistant Warden - North West Norfolk Reserves (Fixed-Term)
- Curlew LIFE Project Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Turtle Dove Conservation Advisor (South-East England)
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager ( x2 roles )
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Humber Beach Nesting Birds Project Officer - Fixed Term
- Head of Fundraising Campaign Planning (Flexible in UK - Hybrid-WFH)
- Board Administration Coordinator - Flexible in England (WFH Option)
- Direct Marketing Manager - (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Programme Manager - Membership Recruitment and Retention (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Membership Marketing and Retention Manager (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Assistant Warden (Fixed-Term) - Northward Hill
- Project Coordinator - Eurasian Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Food and Beverage Supervisor
- Administrator - RSPB Geltsdale Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Junior Interaction Developer
- Junior Developer - Flexible in UK
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Endangered Landscapes Programme Manager - Cumbria (Fixed-Term)
- Senior PWA Developer
- Community Connections and Volunteer Manager - Lough Erne Landscape Partnership (HYBRID-WFH)
- Warden, Sunart Reserves Glenborrodale
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)